How to get other friends interested in fighters, esp. SFxT

Not so much pertaining to beginner skill questions, but I thought it went best here because it deals with getting others to a basic proficiency to have fun as soon as possible.

What I am asking for in this topic is, once I get a few friends to acquiesce to a fighter, in this case SFxT because I’m doing this tonight, what do you think is the best pace at which to teach them the mechanics of the game so they can have fun but not be overwhelmed?

I have a tendency to give too much information at once, so I’m considering just going “here are the buttons, here is how you switch, these are the win conditions,” and have them go crazy for a few rounds; not even tell them about special moves or anything. I feel this puts the least pressure on them in the beginning but unless I can find a way to sneak in specials, supers, and launchers (all I really care about day 1-2), they will tire quickly and accuse me of being cheap and knowing stuff. I just want to play fighters with people (and the online speed here stinks), and I especially think we could have fun with the co-op feature.

P.S: What is a list of characters that work best for beginners? I’m thinking:
Shotos
Hugo
Paul
Cammy
Or is it just best to let them pick whoever they find coolest first?

I think you’re fighting a tough battle unfortunately (however I commend you for it) as people need some sort of drive (meaning they are willing to put time in) if they want to reach a level of competence. I view “learning” a FG (lots and lots of practice and losing a lot at first) like “grinding” in an MMORPG (killing a bunch of enemies over and over again and slowly getting to a point where you can compete). Basically, it’s a very boring task that your friends are going to have to do.

When I think of it that like that, your might be best approaching it like this.

1. Let them go crazy as you said and in specific instances sneak in a little advice such as "If he is always jumping at you, then you need to do a standing block with :b: insteaad of :db:. That way you can teach them something and it’s not so much pressure as you are merely identifying what is going on since they may be wondering why the are getting hit if they are blocking.

2. I find the best way to just get the cadence down and remove the sting of losing is to setup training mode with infinite life and infinite time (but normal meter). This way, your friends can just go all out and play the game while not worrying about losing & winning. This is usually how I play with people instead of matches if they are new or how I learn a FG on my own since. It’s a lot more fun for someone if they aren’t being constantly reminded that they suck in comparison to you plus you eliminate all the down time between matches. However, make sure to mention what you are doing to them if you do it multiple times so they can learn from it but I would recommend letting them try to come up with counters. If it’s something they explicitly ask you, that’s when you should offer an answer.

3. Regarding picking characters, so long as they don’t pick someone too complex or execution heavy (inform them that the character requires finger gymnastics), just let them rock. People generally prefer playing with characters they like as opposed to characters that remind them that they are beginners.

Hopefully once they reach a certain level of being hooked you can start incorporating other things

Hope that helps!

I think you should let them pick whoever they like. Restricting them to a few characters might make them not want to play.

One thing I’ve tried is playing against new people in training mode. Set the dummy to player 2 and just play like normal for a bit. I’ve found that most new players don’t like losing (and since they are new, they will lose) so training mode alleviates the feeling of losing.

Just keep in mind that not everyone will like fighters. It’s possi

It certainly does help. For 1 that is exactly what I am gonna do. I’ve realized that people are able to have more fun clicking buttons around and fighting like that, and then when one accidently does a special move they all go OMG and they try to find what it is (or I’ll tell them) and they’ll spam the crud out of it until the next person either finds a special as well or a way to block it. Sometimes I get impatient though and want to teach them other things too (disclaimer: I stink at fighters too, I just play them more) and it breaks down the overall fun. In the end I suppose it is up to them whether it’ll be great fun for a night or two or a continued tradition.

1. Infinite practice mode is just the way my housemate and I train for an hour or two to learn stuff. I think it depends on the friends, whether they’d have fun screwing around with infinite meter or get psyched with winning. The cool thing about this is that if there is interest in training, I can stick 4 friends in there at a time. Otherwise it’d be hard to judge session length and the others are bored.

2. So keep them away from Bob. Got it.

P.S Wish me luck all. They’re all gamers tonight and play Melee and Brawl super heavily (in fact we may never get to SFxT), so maybe there’s a chance they’ll want to try another game in a similar fashion.

Sorry for the double post.
Do you think it’s proper to first have a few 1 on 1 matches so each person can use at least two fighters and kind of get the feel of switching, or if the fun/everyone plays mentality of starting them in 4 player matches is more beneficial than them needing to learn tags/team mechanics at the same time as buttons and superbasics?

I’ll also have a bit of a push to prevent them gravitating towards charge characters.

Why would you prevent them from playing charge characters? They’re fine for beginners.

I suppose they could be, especially since some like Guile just have less specials and the like to worry about.
I think my main reasoning for that is that the friends I played a lot of SSFIV with disliked the charge characters (though they turned into my favorites with time). Also, once they start learning qcs and Shoryuken commands they’ll see that they apply to pretty much every other character in terms of getting flashy things out. Then they encounter 3-4 people on the Street Fighter side who have a whole new system to learn.
I guess its a day 1 thing. Like, I’d rather just teach them all quartercircles + friends = flashy, rather than say that and have one need to be taught differently since he’s playing Shadoloo.

My reasoning behind Bob was that so much of his stuff is a special into other specials, so they’d be doing specials but not reaping the benefits of them at first.

I think I’ll just let them go with the flow. I tend to overthink things. A lot.

When it comes to fighting games most of my friends who won’t touch them, all they play is shooters. However, the couple that have wanted to get into it, only wanted to get into it because I kicked their ass in the game and they wanted to beat me. So maybe you should just whoop em, or maybe I confuse my enemies for friends. :smiley:

Like others have said, fighters take a long time to get good at. You can’t force someone to do it. You can goad them, encourage them, or just plain dominate them, but if a person’s not interested, there’s no point to it.

Charge characters have a big benefit in that their normal attacks are usually really good. Teach your friends how to zone and play footsies. If you can, beat them only with footsies with a character like Ryu, M Bison, or Chun Li. Beyond the flashy special effects, what really keeps fighting games interesting is spacing and zoning. Teach them that it’s a thinking man’s game. “Know normals, know game. No normals, no game.”

avoid defence. attack attack and attack. or else it gets boring and scares people away

Here is where my own inexperience is shown: by “beat them only with footsies” do you mean space them out well, and then when they approach damage them only with big normal attacks and the like?" I’m actually better at that kind of thing then just rushing in and trying to combo, which makes my main choice of Steve in this game a little silly.
The avoid defense and gogogo method actually worked wonders, because due to a combination of my own inexperience with the game and a desire to make things close, I was around their own level when it came to the 2v2s >>.

So yeah, thanks everyone. Most of the friends I expected were not there, but two new guys were with extra PS3 controllers and a desire to play the game (though they had virtually no fighter experience). So it was a whole lot of fun, though the obvious “Melee/Brawl is more fun” comment was made. We had a good deal of fun, though I felt I was still a little overbearing in special moves teaching.
Now I need to think of a few more day two things…

Different people play games for different reasons. As for convincing them to play the game, it’s pretty much impossible if they’re not interested.

I can only really offer advice on how to get them better at the game, and hopefully they realize what makes the game interesting along the way. Only real advice is show them videos of high level play and hope they are impressed.