How to level up when you only have compitition online

Way way better. That’s better than I have, and would much prefer it.
To improve your game, would I rather be playing my best friends about my level or be playing the likes of the Wednesday Night Fights cast?

• For free as well, no tournament entry fee and jitters; I would. You are lucky to have someone who almost always bodies you.

So, after the match, ask him for tips - how did he open you up, how would you block it / counter it / avoid that situation?
You can’t do anything about combos after they’re landed. You have to avoid the situations that land them. And you have to make your own situations where you can get your own combos and mixups in. If your friend is willing to help you, you can ask him to talk through his mind during the game and hopefully pick up some tips.

Getting better doesn’t happen overnight. Ask your buddy what you’re doing wrong, is your team lacking something, and how to avoid being put into unfavourable situations.

Bradyguide is the only guide on Amazon. Has everything from frame data to BnB combos with damage, and also serves as a pretty artbook. Also helps beginners get up to speed on many things that they may not be familiar with.

You end up learning when to block and how to beat unblockables.

Keep playing him. You’ll start being unorthodox and find that being different can help against people who expect what’s happening.

The problem is that not everyone who is good at the game is good at explaining it.

Tatsu, in my opinion, said it best when he said that if you’re looking to get better, you can’t just play someone way better or way worse than you. You need a rival who is about equal, but constantly improving and learning with you. Someone who bodies you consistently is good so long as you learn from what they’re doing. But, the way this game works, a lot of the time, you can be getting absolutely destroyed and not have a clue how it happened. And if the other person sucks at teaching/explaining, then you’re doubly fucked.

yea i have the same problem where all i can play is online…im thinking of driving over to guard crush or the break to try and get some tips off line and maybe make some improvements…but its hard with how busy i am at work.

Having online actually made my game BETTER! For a long time, I had nothing but offline mode and that helped me to an extent, but I ran into a wall. Online mode helped me break that wall and allowed me to learn matchups and how to read/destroy gimmicks the moment I see their team.

About the lag, I haven’t run into any horrendous connections on XBL but on PSN I’ve seen some really bad connections, maybe that’s b/c my friend has his PS3 on wireless and my (former) Xbox was hooked up wired. When you’re playing online, you have to adapt to the lag. Do the best BnB’s (basic, high chance of success, best damage possible) and work on mixups which aren’t difficult to do online. The idea is learning how to play your team against everybody elses. On your offline mode sessions, work on your execution and maximizing damage. When you do play offline and go to a tournament or whatever, you’ll have all that going for you.

I’ve been wondering this same thing, I have a general frame data knowledge as well as a decent understanding of all of my characters. Problem is I live in the middle of no where Canada, so finding an Xbox Live match in the same region is near impossible and a nearby tournament scene is non-existent.

If only Canada had more online warriors I could maybe get back to enjoying this game.

This is what happens. I do get that playing against better people is way better than playing against worst, but it’s not that easy to “explain” how/what one is doing wrong. Because yeah, constantly getting bodied means nothing if you can’t learn from it.

However I’ll keep playing him, then, keeping in mind azproc’s and BartStation’s advice.

This, but also, sometimes they just flat out don’t want to tell you. I go to a local arcade to play and there are some really good players that go to the arcade. I don’t want to just name names because I’m not trying to put anyone on blast, but basically, there are a couple people who are really cool about it and will tell you what they were doing, what you were doing wrong, and so forth, but other people will just continually dominate you and being kind of cold about it. I got knocked out of a tourney last week because my Haggar was left against someone’s Magneto at the end of both games we played, and I simply couldn’t find my way around disruptor spam, magnetic shockwave if you superjump in to push you across the screen. So I asked him what can be done about it because I couldn’t figure out how to get around it. All he said was “Good.” There’s another guy who bodies me regularly but does not have a very friendly demeanor and doesn’t seem like to impart any knowledge.

The point here is that some people don’t want to let you in on any of their “secrets” but hey, you can always come on SRK and post in a character forum about what to do against ___ situation, usually people will help.

If you guys play on XBL, hit me up. I’m always looking for someone to play and maybe I can help some of you guys.
GT: Teddeism - XBL - 2nd lord (stopped playing ranked)

Move to a game with GGPO

If you must learn a game with limited time, the idea is to maximize your learning ability with the resources you have. So…what not to do:

1. Play the computer.
  2. Randomly play people online.

What to do:

1. Make a note if who is better than you when you do play online, and look for them/schedule for them games ahead of time.
  2. Create your competition. You learn way faster if it’s you and a friend participating, partially because you can work on setups/ideas against each other, learn together, and be each other’s competition.
  3. Master your execution. I don’t mean master your combos. I mean master you execution. That includes movement, setups, adjusting to drops, mastering your combo starters and combo enders. (many combo starters are situational, and a good combo ender also puts you into good situations for future setups)
  4. Always be working on something. If you have limited time, don’t just randomly play and have fun. Specialize early what you want to do and work on it. That way, even with an hour or two of playtime you’ll grow faster. You learn by randomly playing, but you learn slower and you can also learn bad habits that work against lower level competition/idiots.
  5. Watch tape/match vids of yourself. It’s the fastest way to learn basketball, and it’s also the fastest way to learn marvel. Compare your match vids to other vids of people playing the same characters. Don’t just watch though, pay attention to what gave you trouble and what you did/didn’t do right. When you run into a problem, it helps a lot to run case analysis of particularly annoying situations.
  6. Copy people’s effective setups. It take effort and time to reinvent the wheel. It’s way easier to steal someone’s idea and master it for yourself.

I disagree with point #2. Randomly playing people online is actually good help for two reasons.

1. As James Chen noted at one point, sometimes, you need to play people worse than yourself in order to gain confidence in a new strategy/setup. For example, when I’m learning a new character, playing against people who body me doesn’t help until I’ve mastered the fundamentals. Once they’re mastered, though, I jump right into the deep end of the pool.

2. Playing lots of random people gets you ready for the most random shit in every matchup. Until you’re at the higher level of play (and even then, this still applies sometimes), you need to learn to deal with random cheap bullshit. Yeah, being able to consistently beat Wolverine pressure is essential and puts you on a level above most newbs, but you can go to a tournament and get blown up by the most random, gimmicky setup you’ve ever seen just because you’re not ready for it. Like, the other night, I lost a tourney game to a Hulk player who liked to put himself at about -4 frames or so (not enough for She-Hulk to punish with anything significant) just to entice me to press a button. Then, he’d cancel into Gamma Crush and hit me for big damage. It was the dumbest shit I’d ever seen in my life, but it beat me because I wasn’t ready for it.

Now, I’m not saying that you should ALWAYS play against random folks and that they will consistently add to your game, but I’m an old school arcade guy. I remember the days when you put your quarters into a machine and had no control over who you played next to you.

I don’t disagree with you, but the original poster stated that time is a big factor. I’m specifying that in the event you have limited time, the time you spent randomly playing people online can instead be used for other imo more productive things to improve your gameplay. Some randomness isn’t bad, but playing works best when you know your opponent is random but at a certain level.

I generally find that players learn bad habits when they play players that are terrible.

Here are somethings I’ve spent time on in training mode in short bursts that has really improved my winning percentage (or at least made me more competitive). I run Task ( Up Arrows) / Dorm (Hole) / Doom (Beam) so my examples will reference those characters.

1. If someone bodies you with cross-ups and mix-ups, re-create them in training mode and just try everything your team has in its arsenal to counter it. I would even recommend going through the command list to make sure you’re not leaving out a move. Sometimes, I take the mix ups I see during streams and then see if I can come up with anything to counter them which leads me to some interesting tactics I can then use later. Spend 10-15 mins and you’d be surprised what you can come up with and how quickly some offenses break down once you can identify what is going on. This leads to new technology for these situations (that is usually also applicable to other similar situations) and then once you’ve practiced your stuff offline, go back to matches and test to see if it works. If you developed an effective counter, congrats! If not, try again, and if you can’t develop a strategy no matter what, you may need to reconsider if your team as then it truly has a deficiency. Also, seeing something a couple of times will lead you to understand how to counter it better (e.g. if someone is super jumping at you, it’s better to dash under it and then punish as opposed to waiting to block it).

2. Practice not letting your hands get ahead of what is occurring on the screen. For example, almost everyone goes through the magic series ending with :s: regardless of whether the opponent blocks or not. Practice, hit confirming (which is what I’m spending a lot of time on right now) using the random guarding option in training. You’d be surprised how much you can slow down your magic series inputs ( :l: to :m: to :h:) or anything and still be on point. Plus, this usually keeps you from doing unsafe launchers (damn you WESKER!!!) and allows you to actually think. For example, with Task I will do (c.:l:, c.:m:, c.:h:) and if I connect, I go into spidey swing ( :f: + :h:) or if the opponent blocks (without push blocking) I either:

a) Back up a bit and start firing arrows if I don’t feel comfortable rushing them down
b) If I’ve seen 'em mashing c.:l:, I just cancel the c.:h: into guard master low ( :d::db::b: + :m:) which allows me to push them back for free and usually piss them off because I’ve actually punished something they thought was a good strategy. Hell, some people will even rage quit when the find out that mashing c.:l: can actually be punished.
c) Cancel the c.:h: into Sword Master :l: ( :f::d::df: + :l:) if they are turtles and use the unblockable :h: followup to open them up to Legion Arrows ( :d::df::f: ) + :l::m:) to the face

Once I get comfortable with this, I’m going to have the pushing block kick in as well so I can practice against that part as well.

1. Practice one combo per team member a day for 10 mins each, and then identify where you drop it the most. For example, I almost always drop the Buktooth loop with Doom when going for the second re-launch because I’m just not that good at it yet. Usually the person recovers in the air because I don’t bring them down far enough. However, now that I’ve practice it enough times, I can identify when they aren’t at the right altitude and do the following:

a) Use Hard Kick ( :f: + :h:) once I immediately land to keep the combo going
b) Simply jump back up and go for an air throw
c) Dash underneath and cross them up

At least this way, I can start identifying mid-combo if I need to switch up what I’m doing as opposed to just praying that I can finally hit the combo

1. Learn how to be more efficient at what you are doing. I guess an example with Dorm is most illustrative. If you watch high-level Dorm players, you’ll almost never see them dash away from their opponents on the ground because of how slow and unsafe it is. Instead they will jump and then air dash down back as it is faster. This is imperative for Dorm because the more space you create, better chance you have of powering up your liberation spells without getting tagged by a rushdown. Little things like this make big differences in a match because you can stay safer with is critical given how touch of death the game can be. A good drill is to record a fast character in training for 10 secs moving around as best you can and then come up with you fastest way to chase them or get away from them. I usually to chase Zero, Spidey and Phoenix with Doom and Task and try to run away from that same team with Dorm. It gives you a really good feel as to what is a safe distance and what is the most efficient means of moving. Do this for 10 mins each, and you’ll have a great feel for how to move quickly.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

execution. unless you have some kind of disability there is no excuse for poor execution. eventually it will hold you back, get it out of the way when you can’t work on other things.

aside from that practice against a difficult (for you) level cpu with a specific objective. ‘I want to land this setup/combo every time I get the chance’ ’ I’m not going to jump at all and see what spacing feels like without it’. things like that. the computer isnt a human but it gives you a moving target so it isn’t just going through the motions, you need to react and take advantage of things.

If you have a decent connection and can find friendly skilled players that have no lag issues you will most likely get to their level over time. Online doesn’t seem to be treating me badly. I live in Canada and run on a 32 mbits connection and I can block crossups on reaction with a friend from Spain so I would assume online can still be used to train for offline tournaments. Wolfkrone is also said to play mostly online of the time and is a very good player.

Top players are probably hard to find online but I’m sure that by watching tournaments top players, learning how they play, and trying to understand what is going in their minds while you watch will help you get better and if you are able to teach yourself and your friends afterwards you become solid training partners. Atleast it’s what I try to do.

If I were you though and there was a scene here i’d really take advantage of it. Even if just once in a while to practice against things that I would think might not work offline for me. Too bad I can’t find anyone that plays MvC3 in Quebec City.