Howard Zinn + J.D Salinger Die

Salinger died at 91. He’s the author of Catcher in the Rye, and some short stories. He was reclusive and anti-social for most of his life after publishing his novel. It still sells around 200,000 copies a year, which is pretty impressive. I guess teens in the 50s were just as angsty and disaffected as they are now.

Also, Howard Zinn died today, he was 87. He wrote A People’s History of the United States, a really good read about some of the history they don’t teach you in school.

Most of the time we talk about celebrities dying but very rarely do we talk about intellectuals, writers, aka nerds.

Both of these guys were old though, so it’s not surprising or sensational that they died. Salinger was pretty useless after he wrote his novel but I recently watched a lecture by Zinn on WW1, WW2, and the civil war. He was always interesting and had a unique perspective on things. So I’m kinda disappointed that he died.

It’s only a matter of time before we lose Chomsky too!! :shake:

J.D. Salinger Dies at 91 (1919-2010)

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1957492,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

RIP. I loved Catcher in the Rye.

The Catcher in the Rye is arguably the worst book I’ve ever read.

Still, RIP, Salinger.

I just posted about Salinger as well. I don’t know if I should be glad that they died of natural causes, too many deaths in the past year have been drugs, car accidents and homicides. I guess it’s nice to hear they got the time they deserve.

Zinn died yesterday

I agree.
I read it…and gave it to some dude for free.
I never understood the hype behind it.

RIP Salinger.

Glad I’m not the only who didn’t like Catcher in the Rye, I hear a lot of people speaking highly of it. Either way RIP JD Salinger, and Howard Zinn. I read Zinn in 11th grade History and he managed to make history somewhat interesting.

You have to read it at a certain time in your life, where ego and stress removes you (mentally) from the people around you. For most people, it’s their teen years, where they try and struggle to ease into adulthood. The main character was a giant asshole, but only because he didn’t know enough about people. He just saw every adult as a fake hypocritical jerk.

I read it in high school, and I liked it.

RIP Salinger.

RIP Salinger…geez… hearing everybody talk you’d think all he wrote was Catcher in the Rye… Nine Stories was just as good if not better IMO.

It’s kind of like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The only thing of his people care about is Holmes even though he did other stuff to.

That’s when I read it…my teen years.

I liked the ending.

We all know he wrote other things, but you can’t really deny that that’s his flagship, most well-known by a long shot title.

We all know he wrote other things, but you can’t really deny that that’s his flagship, most well-known by a long shot title.

RIP Salinger. A damn good author, Catcher really touched a lot of people and with good reason. Glad it was of natural causes.

I enjoyed Catcher in the Rye and Holden’s ranting, sometimes it was pretty funny. I don’t remember the ending very well but I liked this part:

“'Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody’s around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all.”

raise high the roofbeams carpenters
like ares comes the bridegroom
taller far than a tall man

rip