It’s time to update a setup I discover few months ago with new chars and give you more info.
The HP flame setup is a shortcut for Forward/Neutral Grab + meaty HP Flame Setup. I think it’s the only way to use this move with horrible startup but good frame advantage (+2 on block).
The first thing to know is the great buff damage the HP flame receive in SSF4: from 100 to 170. This means that a counterhit will do an incredible 212 damage! Also a blocked HP flame is increased from 25 to 42, more than hitting with b.lk.
This setup is char specific and works only in some situation. Most of them is when your opponent has no EX bar.
The goal is to surprise your opponent, try to hit (or counterhit) his reversal or simply do a good chip damage. Knowing against which chars will work, it could guarantee free damage with no risk.
The setup cannot be forward/backdashed and is armor breaking and cannot be focused. You can add super because HP flame is an hit confirm.
- HP Flame Setup beat/trade vs all special moves (normal and ex) of these chars:
- Dhalsim (but he can teleport back)
- El Fuerte (but he can safely Guadalope EX, but he loses 1 bar)
- M.Bison (but he can teleport back, he can headstomp EX and you can block. Read here).
- HP Flame Setup Beat/trade vs all normal special moves (NOT EX!) of these chars:
- C.Viper (trade with Thunder Knuckle HP: 170 vs 70)
- Chun Li
The rest of the cast have at least one normal special move that beat the setup.
I’m not considering super and ultra 1 & 2 in this list.
- HP Flame Setup beats/trades the following ultras:
- Gen Ultra1 (only Crane version)
- Ibuku Ultra1
- Chun Li Ultra2 (trade in Sim’s favour: 15 damage!)
- Abel Ultra2
- Hakan Ultra 2 (Whiff)
- T.Hawk Ultra 2 (Whiff)
- Adon Ultra1 (Whiff)
Here’s an example to use this info.
You’re fighting versus Chun Li that has chosen U2, and you’re leading the game. She’s almost dead. You grab her. Then just look at her EX bars… does she get one or more? No? Ok, do an HP meaty with no risk!
Here’s a VIDEO of the setup:
Backthrow grab + LIAT + Flame MP/EX
Can be useful if you’re just escaped from the corner and want to change side doing chip damage.
The cons are the close situation after flame, and the char limitation.
This setup is very good versus charge characters. They are unable to use any back-forward moves because you mess their charge with teleport and they haven’t time to charge again in the other direction. They still can use down,up moves (Dictator can punish flame with stomp KK).
I suggest to do versus C. Viper:
she can only punish it with burning kick EX and ultra1. But it beats seismo EX and trade with TK)