HRAP better than Hori for 2D?

Hey guys. I’ve finally decided to get a stick and stop having ****ed up execution on all my combos at the arcade and being unable to teleport with Strider which resulted in an AHVBx3. I know the transition takes about a month, but I have questions.

I was thinking about buying: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-15-hori-70-4ra.html
And a PS2 to Xbox converter.

However, I was reading some of the reviews and someone left a comment that HRAP sticks are better than Hori for 2D fighters. The main games I play are Marvel, CvS2, and a little bit of HSF2 and 3S.

1. Can anyone recommend me anything better, or is this Hori the safe bet. (This will be my first stick)?

2. Also, will there be any lag from using the converter with the stick to play on Xbox?

3. And how well will this stick work with the games I play?

4. Are Sanwa and Seimitsu parts used in this stick, and if not how hard would it be to add those parts into it?

5. What is the main different between HRAP and Hori?

6. Willing playing with the arcade stick at home feel the exact same as playing in the arcade? (I play at the local arcade a lot and I find it hard to play since I’m used to using Xbox/PS2 controllers)

I’m relativley new to sticks, though I read Palk4life’s FAQ which was a great help. Thanks in advance guys.

Hori RAP lol… Yes, the HRAP’s are Hori’s best sticks and no, they’re Sanwa, unless you spend rediculous ammounts on an SE…

Wow. I feel stupid. And it is always DD who makes me feel this way whenever I post a topic about sticks.

First it was the whole “arcade pad” thing and now this.

Well, there are a bazillion faqs on all the questions you asked, and considering you read one of them, it’s hard to imagine your questions were not answered. If the search function doesn’t do it for you, then use Google. Half the time it pulls up the Shoryuken page you should be reading. It doesn’t sound like DD is trying to make you feel stupid, he’s just stating the facts. And if they make you feel stupid, well maybe you should look for information on your own.

Calm down. My post was a joke. And if you’re not going to answer the questions, then why post? I said I felt stupid for not realizing that the H in HRAP stood for Hori. Sorry for asking questions. Just lock this then and I’ll look it up myself.

1. “Better” depends on your preferences. A lot of MvC2 players like a MAS with a P360.

2. Depends on what converter you get. If you get lucky and get a Magic Box then you will be okay.

3. It will work fine. Why wouldn’t it?

4. In the HRAP the stick is a Sanwa JLF and the buttons are Hori. You can easily put Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons in it.

5. The main difference is the size, the button layout, and the stick.

6. That also depends on your arcade. If it has Japanese cabs then yes the HRAP will be like the arcade. If they are American cabs then most likely a MAS would suit you better.

I’ve had issues with using converters with both HRAPs and other hori sticks when playing on xbox, they seem laggy. my fix was putting a dual shock 1 pcb inside it, but that is a pain and probably something you don’t want to do. My dual shock based sticks don’t have lag probs with adapters though.

Yo.

I feel sympathetic to your cause, because like you, I was confused at all the jargon and technical stuff involved with transitioning to a stick. Here’s the best I can help you. If you need any more assistance, drop a PM.

1. Can anyone recommend me anything better, or is this Hori the safe bet. (This will be my first stick)?

Before we get into the details, do you want to go US-style or J-style? While there are a dozen different varieties and types, it pretty much boils down to these two. If you are getting a stick for the sole purpose of familiarizing yourself with it, look at the sticks that your local arcade’s cabs use (more specifically, the games you play).

As far as stick selection, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. Personally, I would drop the fifty extra bucks on Hori’s best stick, the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP). From there, swap the stock buttons for Sanwas and you should get the closest configuration to a Japanese cabinet.

For US-styled sticks, your choices are sparse: either go MAS or custom.

2. Also, will there be any lag from using the converter with the stick to play on
Xbox?

Again, depends on the quality of the converter. I use a Magic Box (PS2 > Box) and it gets the job done. HOWEVER, once you reach the optimal level of familiarity with your stick (takes a bit longer than a month), you will notice the very small “insensitivities” that all converters give.

3. And how well will this stick work with the games I play?

All personal preferences.

That being said, there are crowd preferences. Different crowds prefer different configurations. The MvC2 circle is pretty much exclusively US-styled. The Gear circle is opposite (J-styled). The SF circle goes either way. Again, depends on your priorities.

4. Are Sanwa and Seimitsu parts used in this stick, and if not how hard would it be to add those parts into it?

In the stick you listed, all parts are Hori stock. Modification is possible, but the mod for that particular model is much more complex than the HRAP.

5. What is the main different between HRAP and Hori?

Hori makes the HRAP.

6. Willing playing with the arcade stick at home feel the exact same as playing in the arcade? (I play at the local arcade a lot and I find it hard to play since I’m used to using Xbox/PS2 controllers)

Depends on what you chose. What you selected was a Hori. Hori exclusively makes J-styled sticks.

You are from Brooklyn… so I assume you go to CTF? And IIRC, the majority of cabs there are US-styled (I am not from NYC, can any native correct me on this?). If you want to get this stick to simply be adjusted to CTF’s cabs, then I would invest in a US-styled stick.

Hope this helps.

There was a reason why I made that damn thread back when I was sick…

Thanks for the posts tl613 and t34. Much appreciated.

This thread can be locked now.

I’ll be PM’ing you soon t34.