HRAP3 modding, need help with choosing parts

So I’m getting a HRAP3 and I’m going to mod it after some time, so this is the tutorial I’m following: http://buffis.com/?p=9
I’m probably changing the gate. (Should I? It has a square gate by default, if I’m not mistaken, so should I mod it to octagonal gate?.. And I’m not doing the modding right after I get the stick, so is the square gate good when you get used to it?
And is there a point modding the gate to octagonal later? (As in, if you get used to the square gate, would octagonal gate be hard to use?)
And do you have to make the holes to the gate? (I googled some stuff and found out, that if you wanna mod the Xbox stick then you have to make the holes to the gate, but that could only be for Xbox, cause when you want to mod the Xbox one you have to mess with alot of stuff, while in the PS3 HRAP3 modding tutorial you just had to open the stick, change the buttons and vola! you didn’t have to make the holes bigger on the faceplate etc…)

Well my main question is:
What are the buttons I should use in modding? I know I should use sanwa ones, but which ones fit the holes in HRAP3?.. The tutorial says I should get “8 sanwabuttons (standard size)” but what is standard size? Is it OBSF-30 ?

I know I ask so many questions, and probably all my threads are questions, and I do know that IS annoying, but you have to ask questions to get the answers…

well the whole gate thing s purely up to you. I’ve never used an octogonal gate,since i love how it is already. The standard size buttons are indeed the OBSF-30

Thanks, so the square gate is good? For executing combos and stuff. (I play both, 2D and 3D fighting games, btw.)

Square gate takes time to get used to. Once you do get comfortable with it, square gate is very good.

I guess I’ll stick with the square gate then, I’ll mod the buttons only, then.

I know there is an edit button but noone will check the thread twice to see if anyone’s edited his post…
So… I play both 2D and 3D fighting games, so is the square gate good with both of them?..
And is it hard to do do circular movements?..
It seems like octagonal gate is better, as you can do circular movements but it isn’t fully a circle so you can do diagonal movements too…

EDIT: is the ball of HRAP3 Vermillion or Red?.. Because in Akihabarashop there are vermillion OBSF-30s and red OBSF-30s, when I compared a picture of HRAP3 with a picture of red OBSF-30 and a picture of HRAP3 with a picture of vermillion OBSF-30, the vermillion one seemed more like the ball of the stick… But I dunno, if anyone has bought vermillion or red OBSF-30 and has a HRAP3 then could you please reply?..

I’ve had the HRAP since 2009 january or 2008 december now… well, we don’t have tournaments in Estonia, but should I mod it to sanwa parts? I haven’t mod anything before, but it seems like changing buttons for a HRAP3 is easy, I have a tutorial with pictures, it’s basically :

1. unscrew bolts and remove cover
  2. remove the connectors
  3. connect the new buttons with the connectors
  4. close cover and screw the bolts back in

So, I still have a question that’s also in my other post:
“EDIT: is the ball of HRAP3 Vermillion or Red?.. Because in Akihabarashop there are vermillion OBSF-30s and red OBSF-30s, when I compared a picture of HRAP3 with a picture of red OBSF-30 and a picture of HRAP3 with a picture of vermillion OBSF-30, the vermillion one seemed more like the ball of the stick… But I dunno, if anyone has bought vermillion or red OBSF-30 and has a HRAP3 then could you please reply?..”

HRAP 3 is Vermilion for Ball Top and Buttons.

I think the HRAP thread answers all of your questions. Though your proposal of getting used to the square gate, only to switch to octagon is pointless. Why would you learn one, just to change to another? There aren’t levels of gates, you choose one and play with it. Although, the octagon gate is ass, don’t use it. I don’t give a shit about, “Personal Preference,” the octagon is ass. The square gate is definitely the best gate, hands down. And you don’t have to do shit with the button holes, any 30mm buttons from Sanwa/Seimitsu fit.

You understood me wrong, ignore the older ones, I have a square one and I’m not gonna change it. I know that.
So thanks ^^
Vermillion Sanwa 30 buttons. that’s what I will probably get.
And what would be the best place to buy the Vermillion Sanwa 30mm buttons? I live in Europe, Estonia. I’m guessing lizardlicks…
And the second question: should I buy button plugs to make it 6 buttoned? I mean, the 2 buttons don’t really bother me, does any fighting game (well ofcourse expect some that aren’t made to be played with a stick like naruto ultimate ninja storm) use more than 6 buttons?

If it’s a standard HRAP3, not an HRAP3SA or HRAP3SE, then aren’t the buttons soldered to the PCB? If so, you’re going to need to desolder them and solder wires with QD’s to the PCB yourself.

Also, when purchasing buttons, you don’t HAVE to stick with the color of the balltop that came stock - you can order a new balltop along with the buttons so your color choice isn’t limited.

No, only the Licensed HRAP (HRAP BlazBlue, HRAP Street Fighter IV, HRAP Arcana Heart, whatever) have Buttons soldered to PCB.
All other HRAP have Quick Disconnect.

To jdm714: So my HRAP3 also has quick disconnects?
To Kazujiro: But I like the vermillion, and I’m too lazy to also mod the balltop and I don’t want to spend money on the balltop… so yeah…
Well, basically, should I use plug-ins to remove L1 and L2 and make it a 6-buttoned stick? I mean like… I use my normal controller to send GG messages and CAS (Soul calibur 4) anyways…
So… is lizardlicks the best place to order when I live in europe?

Your HRAP 3 has Quick Disconnects, yes.
Since the Ball Top on the Sanwa JLF is Vermilion, just get Vermilion Sanwa Buttons to replace the Hori.

Gremlin Solutions site.

ArcadeShop.de site.
http://www.arcadeshop.de/Sanwa-Buttons-Sanwa-OBSF-30-vermilion_578.html
Starcab site.
http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php?cPath=219_163_176&products_id=550

That’s what I thought, which one of those sites is the most trusted and ships to europe? I need 6 sanwa vermillion 30mm buttons and 2 30mm plug-ins

They are Europe.
United Kingdom, Germany, France.
I don’t know how quick they be to Estonia, but ArcadeShop.de is closest.

I did not realized you are the person who made this Thread.
You have not modified your HRAP 3 since?
It been like ten months.
Laugh.

lol I know, but I gave up the modding thing for a while, didn’t care, we don’t have tournaments anyway… but now I think I’ll really mod it. So there is no reason for me to laugh when I only got interested in it after a looong pause XD

That is not true.
None of the HRAP you will have to make hole in Restrictor Gate to fit, even the Xbox 360 HRAP.
That is because the Joystick is already Sanwa JLF, so no need to modify Sanwa GT-Y, since it is made for JLF.

It is the non-HRAP from HORI that needs that.
Like the HORI Fighting Stick 3 and HORI Fighting Stick EX2 and HORI Tekken 5 and other.

Also, none of the HRAP you have to grind tabs on metal plate to fit Buttons.
It is the non-HRAP from HORI that needs that.
Like the HORI Fighting Stick 3 and HORI Fighting Stick EX2 and HORI Tekken 5 and other.

Follow Tutorial by TingBoy for replacing Buttons.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132472

These are my old posts, please ignore those, I already have that shoryuken tutorial + a tutorial outside of SRK that has very detailed pictures, instructions etc… But thanks anyways, but I repeat: IGNORE MY OLDER POSTS!

So you still need help through MSN Messenger?
Because those Tutorials are detailed and easy to follow.