I don't know what to do...

i have been playing through the game for a couple weeks now doing trials, training and even some online. yet still i cannot see any improvement… i can do a few combos but no matter what i can’t seem to improve. i believe its just because i am all over the place and dont really know what to start with so i can build upon it. can i get any help as to what i should learn when to start to build up some skills and get better? If its any help im torn between maining cammy or juri…leaning more towards cammy.

Watch videos of top players and try your hardest to mimic them until your play looks somewhat as graceful as theirs.

I have a friend with the same issues.    He put way more time in practice mode than I would.   Like I put 1 hour in practice mode and he's in practice mode from the time he gets from work until the time he goes to sleep.  I was able to beat him 10 games straight.   He can't figure out why he can't beat me, but the reason is simple.

He focuses too much on the physical aspect of the game.   The physical aspect is doing combos and mixup.  It's physical because it focus on the physical aspect of pressing buttons.   And within his game I can see his over reliance on the physical aspect.    When he's being pressured he presses buttons, or when he's not sure what to do he just throws out moves with no regard to whether they are safe or not.   The physical game is important, but what's more important is the mental game.

Once you've gone through trial mode, and you have your links and combos to a science, how you must focus on the mental aspect of the game.  This is way harder.  Why?   Because it's not always apparent what you should do.    The mental aspect is training your opponent, getting reactions out of them, forcing them into mistakes, baiting them.   And this can only be achieved through knowledge of your characters pokes, ranges, and matchups.  No matter how strong your physical game is, if your mental game is lacking, you will find yourself losing to things you shouldn't.   This is because you're not focusing on situations, but how you're just going to reapply your physical game.   There is always more to learn.    The best way to learn is to play, take note of things you lost to, and try to find ways to counteract this.  Usually you can find this out by reading about matchups, frame data, and experimentation in training mode.

Once you learn this, then you will find yourself being way more consistent in the face of opposition.

I’d think you’d need more than just a couple of weeks to improve. Most of the guys you play against online go all the way back to Vanilla SF and beyond. Just keep at it.

Actually yeah watching those videos online do help a lot by showing you how exactly to do the moves and the right timing to do them.

Another thing would be to try and play with friends who are better than you offline (or in endless matches) so that way you can get your game up without other people fuckin with you.

Actually yeah watching those videos online do help a lot by showing you how exactly to do the moves and the right timing to do them.

Another thing would be to try and play with friends who are better than you offline (or in endless matches) so that way you can get your game up without other people fuckin with you.

I was at the same point like a month ago. I got a few tips from some nice forum goers.

-Pick a single character and stick to him/her. Learn everything with that character.(what punishes what, what moves are safe against what character, ect.)

-If you are playing with your friends all the time, that may be a factor. If you know all your friends moves then of course you are not going to get better. Try finding new REALLLY good people to go against. I added quite a few people from here on SRK that help me. They are way better than me. And I get destroyed all the time, but slowly I have been improving against them, even winning the occasional game. You will improve if you fight people who are better than you IMO.

-Working on NOT mashing while you are still in the training proccess is good. I had a bad habit of mashing and it was extremely hard to break after doing it for so long.

-Trial mode is for more than just an achievement/trophy(?) My friend has had his harddrive wiped twice and has redone Juri’s trials 3 times now. The last time he did it in less than a half hour. Once you get those sexy combos down and can land them in an actual game, you feel like a beast. Do trial mode several times over for which ever character you are maining to get the hang of the combos.

Practice. Start with only a couple characters so you can get familar with the game mechanics. When you get the basics down then branch out to other characters. Play a variety of people. Practice.

You should check out that VesperArcade youtube channel. Best youtube SF tutorials by far.

Took months for me to get comfortable with the game, but took about a year to start understanding it.

You should check out that VesperArcade youtube channel. Best youtube SF tutorials by far.

Took months for me to get comfortable with the game, but took about a year to start understanding it.

Sounds like you need to work on basics/fundamentals. You need to know when and when not to use each tool your character has. Basic examples: never fireball an Abel w/ ultra 1 and don’t jump at a Hakan w/ ultra 2. Play smart, learn your character inside and out, and even learn what other characters are capable of. Know when to punish, look for patterns in your opponents playstyle and try to adjust to it. On the flipside, be unpredictable in what you do. Watch videos and add tactics you see to your repertoire. Likewise, take things being done to you by others you play and try to repeat it in training mode. Practice it in training mode until it’s second nature to you. Juri is a bit more complex than Cammy, so I’d stick with Cammy if I were you.

In general, you need to play safe and smart while not wasting any opportunities. Know when to attack and when to block. Jumping forward isn’t the only way of getting around… (dash forward, dash backward, neutral jump, FA into dash, etc. can be better options.) Finally, adapt to your opponent’s playstyle (look for those patterns) and to certain situations (like when the opponent gains an ultra or super.)

Don’t spend too much time in training room, you will find that training room skill does not directly translate to in-game skill–im pretty beast in the training room lol. i dont think training room is a great place to hone anything down unless you just want to try out specific situations, test move priority or spacing, combo exhibition or more specific/advanced analysis. You need to play some sf2, download hd remix or something. my combo ability is pretty basic, I cant even FADC ultra consistently with ryu, but I have a pretty consistent win rate and am very good at adapting and reacting to my opponent. Street Fighter is more of a mental dance between opponents. I frustrate a lot of players who obviously have better combo ability than I do because I know how to space normals, react to jump ins, and sit on leads properly.

Pick ryu or guile or anyone with a fireball. Learn to space to bait jump ins and try and react to their jump ins. Many people will hate, but this is better practice for you than going into training room and plinking 1 framers.

If you take anything from this message, take this. Learn to do what even some top players fail to do (maybe due to stress, feelings of urgency, whatever)–LEARN TO SIT ON LEADS PROPERLY!..control the match, and wins will come easier to you.

Best of Luck

thank you for all the help… i took in what you all said and watched the vesperarcade tutorials and learned alot… i then spent the day practicing and even feel i am getting better. i also noticed that i need to be less agressive, so i stopped repeatedly charging in and i am now winning MUCH more.

Not sure if this would help man but it has and still helps me http://shoryuken.com/f241/dont-train-hard-train-smart-195678/

Just continue play as much as possible and you will improve bit for bit, and training room is your best friend if you want to be better.