I don't see my potential as a true SSF4 pro. Should I give up?

I’ve been playing for longer than a year with an arcade stick, since SSF4 first came out (April 2010 I believe). I’m a Guy player because he fits my style but I don’t see any true progress being made. I’ve switched characters to Yun and then eventually Yang but the twins doesn’t do it justice for me either. I definitely lose more than I win, and I wish I can put up a fair fight against people.

I really can’t learn the game by myself. I need a tutor…

Also, how the hell do you plink? It’s so damn hard. :frowning:

One year is too quick of a time to give up. Don’t worry about trying to be a pro and just try to find people to play against and help you out. I’d be happy to add you if you’re on psn.

Indeed I am. We could play a match right now and then you can post back here to tell me how I did.

PSN: EdiblePwncakes

yea dude one year is not a long time at all for a game such as SF, also a year doesnt actually tell us how much youve really been playing. you could be playing 5 mins a day or 5 hours.

being a pro requires serious time on the game, and people being pro level good within one year is extremely rare unless you have a huge amount of experience of other FGs. its all about experience, get all your fundamentals down and you can win a lot without fancy combos anyway.

If you don’t have an serious previous fighting game experience I’d say that to get “good” at this game (and by good I don’t mean Pro, or that you’ll win or place well at majors or something) you need at least some 2000-3000 hours of play. Even if you’re really gifted by nature I’d say you’d still need some 1000+ hours anyways.
Those playtimes can be reached in 1 year, probably not if you actually got a work/real life tho.

It also depends a lot who you’re playing against…in 2000 hours of ranked matches you’ll learn less than in 200 hours playing competent people. You’ll learn to bait and punish tho, lol

3000hours? That is only 250days of 12hours a day! Why that is practically nothing.

For just the price of a cup of coffee a day you too can help a noob. Donate today, your help is needed.

:wink:

hahaha, that’s why I said you don’t need to have a social life or a work!

But if someone has been playing since the beginning of vanilla there is a very good chance that they’ll have somewhere around 2000-2500 hours of play if they took the game seriously enough. 2 hours a day for 3 years is more or less 2200 hours and that will make you decent enough at this game, considering how easy it is compared to past installments of the series.

It’s important to note that the quality of this time is so important. 2200 hours of playing random laggy DP mashing randoms will get you nowhere… except knowledge on how to beat laggy DP mashing randoms. If you’re going to play online, find local/regional people who actually care about the game. And get out to local offline sessions. That’ll do more for your game than online ever will.

Why give up? I’ve sucked nearly 20 years, and it’s still a fun game.

Yeah, I already said in my first reply that you’re gonna learn more in 200 hours of quality play than in 2000 hours of ranked matches.
But in most fighting games, quantity is just as important as quality. There’s things that you’re gonna learn only by spending a lot of time with the game

There’s way a lot more to life than playing video games as a ‘pro’. Just take it and enjoy it as what it is.

Have fun with the game! No offense, but if your questioning if you should give up then most likely you don’t have what it takes to go far. Its about grinding it out rolling with the punches. Review your matches and see what your doing wrong. Guy is not easy to win with at first. I main him you HAVE to learn the matchups and setups in order to get in. Guy is all about applying pressure and keeping it without getting careless. The Guy forum is filled with info so go there and ask questions. I lost tons before I learned Guys setups and punishes. I still get blown up on occasion. I dust my self off review the footage and try not to make the same mistakes.

I generally implement a system I used back when SC4 came out for making my Online time more worth it.

I played ranked matches. When I lose I send the player a message asking if they’d be willing to spar with me a few matches. Send an invite and play some endless matches. Not everyone is going to say yes, but you’d be surprised.

This does a few things:

1. it helps with general matchup knowledge which is where most new players need to begin. You need to learn what you can and cannot do against other members of the cast with the character you have chosen. They flow of the match, what to look for, ect.

2. It helps you get over the initial loss. If you can play the same character a few times in a row, even if you keep losing, you’ll have a better understanding of the why and what makes the character you are losing to powerful. This way the next time you run into that character you are more ready since you’ve at least had the chance to play against them a few times back to back.

3. The system will store your latest matches. Play a few games aginst someone you’ve lost to and then go into replay and watch the matches. After some time away from the game it is suprising the things you will notice. You will start to criticize yourself and that in and of itself can be a new experience for many players new to, or struggling with FGs.

Overall I’d say that point 1 is the most important. Knowing that matchups cannot be stressed enough. Try it out, you’ve got nothing to lose.

I agree with what most everyone has said above, a year seems like a long time but really it isn’t, not in relation to competitive fighting games.

You might get more enjoyment and satisfaction out of playing if you switch your goal from becoming a “pro” to overcoming a particular weakness you observe in your game, such as teching more, improving execution, jumping less, etc. If you keep your goals realistic, clearly defined, and achievable, you won’t be let down by the time and effort you put in.

Also, I think it’s safe to say that the vast majority of people who love fighting games will never reach “pro” status; myself included, so don’t worry about not hitting that level yourself. :slight_smile:

Let me ask you this:
why are you asking the community whether or not YOU’RE at your breaking point for giving up? It’s a personal quest you have to find on your own.

You’re doing one of two things with this thread:

1. Making people reassure you that nobody cares if you give up or not.
  2. Making people give you false hope that you’ll actually get better.

Because by making this thread, you’ve already given up.

If you’re not having fun, stop. That’s the gist of things. Everything else comes down to how much you’re willing to read and learn from.

Sending you to the Saikyo Board, where they specialize on the psychological humps.

Street Fighter is the same as Kung Fu. Kung Fu means martial arts achieved through hard work. Street Fighter is the same. You have to achieve your skills from hard work. If you seen the King Of Chinatown you see that pro players live and play together almost everyday for many hours. Just training 1 hours each day is not enough. Shaolin monks train kung fu for 10 hours each day. If you wanna become a pro player you have to commit alot of time to the game.

The reason I still play Street Fighter is because its held tournament where I live. I train mostly online and then I go to offline tournaments to test my skills. The great thing about tournaments is that you cannot spam out moves all the time. In online play you can spam out combos all the time without getting hit. In tournaments its different. Tournament players got very high skills.

Im not the greatest Street Fighter player but I still go to tournament to test my skills.

One year isnt enough. Ask the question again in 3+ plus years. This isnt Halo.

You can never ever become a ‘pro’ at ANY game if giving up even crosses your mind.

(this is not true you can become a professional in games like Halo and modern Call of Duty games but nobody cares if you’re a pro at Modern Warfare 2)

On a Juicybits podcast, Juicebox recommended setting a realistic goal for yourself, so maybe that might be a good way for you to see progress. If you can create some meaningful milestones for yourself, that should be motivational, as opposed to the vague notion of being a ‘pro.’