I had an odd thing happen to me today

t-hawk

In a match vs a T.Hawk as Makoto…<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>He hits me with cr.mk and then command throw twice, and I am wondering how…?</div>

I read the frame data, on hit cr.mk is +1, and HP Mexican Typhoon starts in 2 frames, so basically, even on hit I should have been able to hold up back to avoid the command throw.

I am not sure about what I am going to say, but I think you can’t jump in this situation because jumping isn’t instant. There is something called pre-jump frames, frames where your character still is grounded it’s 4 frames for most characters (some exceptions) and you got grabbed during these frames.<br><br>I am not sure about it, though.<br>

Here:<br><br>http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Game_Systems/Prejump_Frames<br>

EDIT: Forget about it, I need to get used to the new boards, lol. Sorry for triple post.<br>

you cannot be thrown during pre-jump frames. The only thing that makes sense is that you weren’t trying to jump or lag got in the way.

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/31476/Onions">Onions</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>you cannot be thrown during pre-jump frames. The only thing that makes sense is that you weren’t trying to jump or lag got in the way.</div>
</blockquote>

good to know, was just an idea that crossed my mind<br>

It is just an odd method he used, if I block a cr.mk I don’t think anything of it compared to most characters, but against T-Hawk I should hold up or up back because otherwise I get command thrown. (Unless I have SRK, but even then how often do you find yourself reacting defensively to a blocked cr.mk against any character?)

I react defensively by blocking after almost every cr.mk since most characters can cancel theirs into a fireball or something safe. For instance Ryu’s cr.mk into hadoken is a block string if done up close but at certain ranges the only thing t.hawk can do is ex spire in-between. I’ll just block the hado 80% of the time knowing that it stifles my advance if i try one.

I only feel like i have to up-back against a blocked anything by gief since his command throw range is obscenely far. Against t.hawk you should just test out and memorize his spd range (and it’s not long enough) as well as the range of the pushback on a blocked cr.mk. Once you internalize that, you’ll know where you should be scared and where you shouldn’t.