I Have Never Touched a Fighting Game Before. What Can I Do To Prepare for SFV?

Hey, all. As the title suggests I don’t know a thing about fighting games. I’ve always wanted to get into them but never gave it an honest shot. This is mostly because I’ve never really had people to play with. But SFV looks very good and I really want to get into it. What can I do to prepare? What advice might you give me? Basically where should I start and what can I do?

Thanks.

Check out this:

And this!

And maybe even this:

http://www.amazon.com/Simplifying-Street-Fighter-Players-Preparing-ebook/dp/B015KLJCJI

Above all, grab sf3 or sf4 and get used to the feeling of getting your dude to make things happen! There’s lots of mechanical acclimatisation which is the same in every game (dragon punch and fireball motions, etc)

Read this at your own leisure:

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Familiarize yourself with the terms of the fgc and follow convos on this forum.

Above all else get a fighting game and start playing!!! Welcome.

Thanks for the quick replies! I’m definitely going to check this stuff out asap. The games I was thinking of picking up at the moment are MKX and SF4 and then focus on SFV when it comes out

Play other fighting games.

play Killer Instinct

do pushups

mash

What helped me get started as a kid is make sure you watch Bloodsport, Kickboxer, and Best of the Best. They will help you get in the proper mindset.

Honestly playing another SF to learn footsies is probably your first thing. Try to find a local community so you can play better players so you can see concepts in action that might go over your head at first. There is a lot happening in fighting games that until you are really used to it won’t notice, it is also almost more important when you watch matches to realize what you aren’t seeing and not just what you are seeing. Like why isn’t he doing this certain options that is super good! Maybe it isn’t as good as you think. Finding other good players in your local scene and talking with them will help you level up quicker than anything else.

I guess third strike. I assume that parries don’t add much at low levels, dashes are similar and combos/hitconfirms aren’t too far off. Yatagarasu might be good too, characters seem to have a significant deadzone between cr.mk:ish pokes and sweeps, much like in V.

It’s all about that Karate Kid. Taking lessons from the Cobra Kai.

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy.

Sweep the leg.

Truer words have never been spoken.

get lube for ur ass

Just get the game, pick a character and do the story mode and tutorials. Use the story mode to learn how to do special moves, but don’t use it to learn how to fight actual human opponents. The computer will fall for stuff that humans never would.

Expect to lose a lot when starting out online. Stick with the same character all the time if possible. You’ll learn better that way.

The fact that you are here and asking how to get better already puts you above many other players, so congrats on that.

I do recommend that you read up on the stuff that others have posted and watch videos to absorb as much information as you can.

Now what i DONT recommend is playing other fighting games (online). Not yet anyway. Playing fighting games in general will teach you a lot about how they work, there is no question about that. However i believe the biggest barrier to people entering fighting games are people getting frustrated and quitting because they get burned out. While older games are perfectly fine to play, the playerbase for these games has been sieved away and the only players who are left are people who will be able to stomp new players with relative ease. A lot of people will get frustrated losing 30+ games in a row without a single win. An experienced player should be able to shake it off though and move on, but it can be a crushing ordeal for a new player to experience that and be left wondering if fighting games are truly for them. Learning how to handle losses is a big part of fighting games though so just be prepared for it.

This is also why it’s important to play a fighting game close to it’s release as this is when you get the best chance of playing people around your skill level. It all sounds a bit doom and gloom and im not saying to abandon the older games altogether. At the very least you can try em out, go in training mode to practice your movement and how the game handles and even try out against the CPU, but just be aware of the situation if you do decide to play other people online and if it does get frustrating, just know that you’ll probably have a better experience once SF5 drops. It would be better if you can find a local scene to hook up with, that way you can explain that you are a new player looking to join the community. Most communities should relish the chance of new blood coming in and should try to ease your way into fighting games.

Most of all just try to have fun with it, you will eventually get better over time the more you play, and as you start to understand more how fighting games work.

Play Breakers Revenge.

My best advice is to find someone else (either in person or online) that has an interest in playing. Skill level is irrelevant, you just want someone to be able to play against. Playing against another human being that also wants to improve is the single best way I’ve ever found to improve at fundamentals when starting. It will help you learn the game by having to play against someone that is learning to adapt to what you do/learn. Welcome to the FGC!

Thank you all of the great advice and for the warm welcome, everyone. I’ve already started pouring over some of the material posted here and am excited to start practicing and implementing it. I plan on playing SF4 on my PC via steam. If anybody is interested in playing with me and teaching me some things I can post my steam name here and we can connect

I’m in the same situation as you, bro. Well, not really, I’ve played fighting games all my life, but I’ve never been good at them, even though I always have to most fun playing them. But like you, i would like to get better. My goal is to be a better SFV player than I was a SFIV player. So keep practicing and keep learning. And like any skill, it takes practice, patience, and time.

Remember, “A master has failed more times than the student has tried.”

So never give up, even though things get frustrating.

(that’s my advice from a total noob at playing fighting games online) :slight_smile: