I just dont get what Im doing wrong

So I picked up SSF4 around mid july so ive been playing around 5 months now, this is my first fighting game and Its probably the most frustrated ive been playing a game in my entire gaming career. Sure I can beat people but sometimes I just get matched up against an opponent who has like 3.5k PP lets say, I currently sit at around 2.2k-2.5k and I just get destroyed. I play akuma and I have the vortex for the most part, can do all of akumas combos but I just lose no matter what. I guess this is kind of a rant thread but I just got off the game literally pulling my hair out trying to figure what it is I am doing wrong. Maybe I just dont understand the game properly. I just dont understand, I can never tech throws and i am aware of the OS throw and all that but I NEVER tech throws. I get reversaled many times when I attack an opponent on wakeup, and then I try to bait it next time with a palm and they just grab me… I dont get what to do. Ive put many hours into this game and its starting to get to the point where I jsut want to throw the stick in the garbage and call it quits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Knowledge is one thing, experience is another. Sell us the stick, it’d be a waste to toss it out.

Suggestions? Upload fights you partake, show us videos where you played your best, win or lose. Or post it in the akuma video thread if it’s akuma you use mostly…It helps to watch replays of yourself because you can reflect on what you done, what you do bad at and what you can do next time to get better… it’s easy to spot other people’s mistakes but not your own… Meaning other people can give you good feedback.

Knowledge is one thing, experience is another. Sell us the stick, it’d be a waste to toss it out.

Suggestions? Upload fights you partake, show us videos where you played your best, win or lose. Or post it in the akuma video thread if it’s akuma you use mostly…It helps to watch replays of yourself because you can reflect on what you done, what you do bad at and what you can do next time to get better… it’s easy to spot other people’s mistakes but not your own… Meaning other people can give you good feedback.

I wouldn’t focus so much on trying to win, but more on trying to learn as much as you can both about your character and your match up during and after a match.

I’m by no means a seasoned vet, but I find that as long as a keep an open mind to losing and learning rather than beating my head in trying to rack up wins I come away with a lot more from a fight.

It probably wouldn’t hurt to search around for the countless forums that feature other beginners or equally skilled players like yourself wanting to get together for endless sessions online. That’s one thing that has really helped me to progress the most I think.

I wouldn’t focus so much on trying to win, but more on trying to learn as much as you can both about your character and your match up during and after a match.

I’m by no means a seasoned vet, but I find that as long as a keep an open mind to losing and learning rather than beating my head in trying to rack up wins I come away with a lot more from a fight.

It probably wouldn’t hurt to search around for the countless forums that feature other beginners or equally skilled players like yourself wanting to get together for endless sessions online. That’s one thing that has really helped me to progress the most I think.

I’m not a spectacular player, by any means, but if your execution really is coming along really well you’ll need to start looking at improving your matchup knowledge, footsies, and adaptation.

Akuma’s vortex is pretty deadly, but its satisfying to bait Boxer into a dash punch straight into a raging demon. Thats less about execution, more about reading the other player.

Matchup knowledge you can get in the character specific forums. Great for knowing which combos, if any, won’t work against which opponents, what options you have against that character’s moves and the timing you need to do so.

Footsies, Maj at sonic hurricane has a great primer on the subject. Its one of the more difficult skills to learn and is somewhat less rewarding in 4 than it was in 2 or 3, but still … good footsies will get you in on an opponent or keep an opponent out and open up combo opportunities.

Adaptation… I don’t know that there is anything out there to read. Mostly, you start looking at how the player responds to what you do, within any given round. The uppercut happy people are pretty easy to adapt to. Whiff something a little early on their wake up and then block. Low forward xx short tatsu, sweep punish and then start your vortex. But if you notice a lot of backdashes on wake up, option select that sweep … and start your vortex. The other part of adaptation is looking at what you do that doesn’t work on that player and why. Is this particular opponent always on point with the anti-air? Good at avoiding and punishing air fireball? Frequently corners you? Basically… what is your opponent doing well and how can you take that away from him?

Without seeing you play, i don’t know what you might be doing that you shouldn’t. But if you watch your own replays in the battle log, pay particular attention to sequences where you get punished. If you’re dropping a particular link, consider leaving it out of your game or only for offline play. Did you get greedy trying to land an ultra? Pace yourself and have confidence in your normals/specials. They’re less flashy but whiffing them is generally less risky. Did you get aggressive when you had a life lead? Never be afraid to lame it out for a win. If you’re in it just for the fun of playing… sure, go balls out on offense and if you lose, oh well. But if the win is just as important as the fun, by all means get a fair life lead and then sit on it. Make them come to you, where your footsies can keep them out/make them frustrated/get them to jump into shoryu fadc red fireball.