I need help buying a gaming pc... Can anyone help me?

Hello all… I wasn’t sure where to post this but I’m in the market for a gaming pc and I need help because I’ve never bought one before. I do know that whatever I buy, it should have an excellent graphics card, good ram, a good processor and plenty of storage space…

I did some research on what the best graphics cards are among other things and I’ve been looking through ebay and other places to see what I find. Today I found two interesting listings and I’m very much leaning towards one of these but I’m not sure which is best. Can anyone help me out with some suggestions as to which is better and why?? I’d appreciate it guys, thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200374925411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300340178389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They are both on Antec cases, Nvidia graphics, one is SLI with dual 9800 GTX+ and the other has a GTX 285 card.

Here’s a good article to read: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2347620,00.asp

It’s outdated but the methods are sound.

Neither of those PCs are really extreme at either end. The parts are probably worth the price but the fact that they’re both used are a put-off for me. Also, the first guy seems to care more about the LEDs than the actual components. The second one seems more reasonable.

If those were your only two choices I’d buy the second one.
First, the I prefer Intel over AMD today and the Q6600 is a well-balanced CPU.
With that motherboard a 1333mHz max FSB is reasonable and a 285 is a good video card. It also has 2x500GB of solid hard drives in there and a reasonable PSU.

Though I’d definitely do some research on what would be a good new machine before pulling the trigger.

thanks a lot zero. Well the reason I was looking into those two is because after trying to build my own at ibuypower and similar sites, I was a little bit familiar with the prices for components and its like you said, the parts are worth it…

2nd PC seems like a much better deal IMO. Here’s a little something I put together on Newegg as well that wouldn’t be bad for all new parts if you don’t mind building a PC:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16045527

I have a GTX285 and it’s a beast. You should be able to run SF IV with everything on, including the highest aa, all running at 1080p (asssuming all other componnts are up to it as well). I ran the benchmark with everything set to the max and it gave an A rating and suggested I might want to increase the settings!

Awesome, thanks a LOT for your replies guys. I truly appreciate it. Yeah the second one does look like a better deal. I read through the listings again and it almost feels like paying 200 more bucks for UV lights if I went with the other one… Also, I’m not too familiar with overclocking… The listing for the less expensive one says it “has potential” for it. All I know is it would make the processor faster, but at what expense? Are there any risks/drawbacks?

most modern pcs have safety measures if you do anything wrong whilst overclocking.
Major drawbacks are increased temeperature of the CPU, which can be slightly prevented with a good quality CPU cooler or water cooling if you have the money

Well to be honest id rather just build it my self…
i know it seems very scary at first cause your dealing with 1000 dollar lego for adults…

But bare with me it will be worth it.

1: you can pick anything you want for a cheaper price
2: You get the experience and can have fun with it.
3: Youll get a better understanding of whats going on inside of your comp,
if something was to fail on you.
4: Computers are often turned into a hobby, expensive hobby i might add but its just fun to be honest.

You can help your mates out if they need help or something something.

First: Amd is cheaper when it comes down to budget computers, Thats Fps per dollar.
Second: 2 cores are the same as 4, At this point. but the Q6600 is amazing at overclocking, can do easy 3.4-3.6Ghz on air.
Third: More hardware for your money by building your own.

Does overclocking your hardware shorten their lifespan?
both yes and no, depending on how much air flow you have, the Cpu heatsink will determin how much you can overclock.

It also depends on your Cpu, cause every Cpu is made different, some can only do 3.0Ghz and some can do 4.0Ghz.

As long as your Cpu isent over 75-85 degrees your good to overclock some more.
BUT i would recommend a healthy overclock with a slight volt increase and speed so that the
temp are minimum for longer periods of time. such as 24/7.

Your Pc will shut down instantly if it isent Fed enough volt as you will have to do when you increase the speed.

For 680 Dollars i found you a system thats almost the same as the deal you have found

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel
HITACHI 1TB 7200 RPM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard (Combo deal with the Cpu)
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Why would you spend 320 dollars… on that when you have the same…

thats just what i think, Nvidia gpus arent for budgets when Ati`s cards are more fps per buck.

The Case: Good air Flow, With 2 120mm in front Pushing cold air inside the case… 1 120 in the back and 1 120mm on the top blowing out warm air. This is great Positive air pressure.

The HDD: 1Tb? enough? well yes it is! :slight_smile: hehe 7200 Rpm is a must. a nice drive.

Video card: Fine, it might not be GTX 285 material but it gets the job done and isent to far behind it, plays any game out there over 60 fps on highest settings on 20-22 inch screen. Except a handful like crysis and crysis… :stuck_out_tongue: but there not really games as much as there more a benchmarking tool for seeing how far your comp can preform…
but there good games no doubt.

Cpu: 2.8 Ghz normal, healthy overclock at 3.5-3,6 i would guess… if not more.

Motherboard: Supports up to 1200mhz DDR2, Maximum Memory Supported 8GB, 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, so you can add another 4870 or even a 5870 when that time comes and you want your lovely DX11 grafics and gameplay :)… and yes you can do 5870 + a 4870 together, so no worrys :slight_smile:

Power supply: Manufacturer Limited Warranty: 3 years. SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active,
Witch means your power supply will last long, very efficient, can handle 2 Video cards.

Ram: 4Gb, 800Mhz, good quality ram, have it my self so i can say its good… can overclock it to 950+mhz if you want.

WOW WOW to much info man! i better stop it :slight_smile: dont wanna scare you away now :slight_smile: hehe

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Aug-0-2009/TruePower20/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082009&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082009--email--E0A-_-AMDbundle&cm_lm=abc123@gmail.com

Here’s a promotion newegg just emailed me, I’m not sure if the processor is any good, but the graphics card is the 4890 :slight_smile:

Edit: I don’t know if it’s specific to my email. You might need to be signed up for their newsletters.

looks like a good deal, but the grafx card got some horrid reviews on newegg

it seems like it either works great, or it comes DOA

Yup thats a Great deal right there… i would go for it :slight_smile: easy

Ok… I spent almost the whole day browsing through newegg… I tried different builds, went on forums and read up on like a million motherboards… If I see the words Intel, EVGA, etc. one more time I’ll die lol…

Seriously though I’m still left with questions and doubts… If I’m going to go ahead and build one, I might as well splurge now and get the best parts that I can so I don’t regret it later. I built up a nice wish list on newegg but it’s way to expensive. It’s about 1300 bucks shipped the way I built it… But I’m more than positive that there are components I can substitute with more inexpensive choices.

I guess I have to stop thinking in terms of wanting a fricking super computer just to have it since I’m probably NOT going to use it to it’s full capabilities anyhow… I’m mostly a console gamer and really just want this for SFIV and graphic design since I draw/paint on CS3,Painter X, and my laptop isn’t really the best for that either… I do however want to go with an Intel i7 and try to OC that… But I’m going to have to trim some more things from here to cut the costs a bit more. Probably a cheaper motherboard since I don’t think I’ll be needing 3-way SLI… Also I don’t think 6GB of DDR3 is much different than 4GB or maybe I’m wrong… Some guy on a forum said the i7 should have at least 6GB of RAM… I don’t think I want to go any lower than GTX260 for a GPU though… Anyhow…

Here’s the wishlist… Flame me all you want lol… I’m sure I don’t need HALF of this stuff. I would love to get a powerful i7 based system with GTX260 or higher and 4-6 GB of memory, for under a grand… Can I make that happen?

Newegg.com Computer Build

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: EVGA 141-BL-E757
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB/7200 RPM
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 750W
Fan Controller: Scythe KM02
CPU Fan: Cooler Master V8 (package deal with CPU)

$1313.59 shipped at newegg. Sounds sick to me… But 1300 bucks is pushing it atm… What do you guys think? I’m going to try and make a cheaper one anyhow and post it…

Personally, I would ditch the Core i7, eVGA board, and GTX 260 and get these:

Q8400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057

Gigabyte Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

ATI Radeon HD4890: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276 (This is the video card I have, and it works amazingly with pretty much every game I’ve thrown at hit with high settings @ 1080P)

And with that motherboard comes good-performing, less expensive memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227377, or for something with just a tad more oomph: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104098

Still plenty of power for a lot less money.

DAMN IT LIFE SUCKS.

Just got word that they might be cutting hours at my job next week so the rig may have to wait.

:frowning: