I need help on SFxT I'm a beginner

Hello, I’m new here, and I don’t know much about fighting games. I always wanted to get in fighting games, like blazblue and street fighter but i suck at them. I recently got Street Fighter x Tekken, but no matter how hard i try, I’m no good. I even got a fight pad at my local gamestop but that doesn’t help much. I don’t have an fight stick and I want to get one too, does it improve my game? If it does, can you help me find one? Any tips for Street fighter x Tekken, will be awesome, or any tips for fighting games. Thank you very much. :3

The only things that will improve your game are: Practice, Knowledge and dedication. Everything else is superficial.

That said, check the stickies & read everything and when you’re done with that, read them again. Also check out ultrachenTV for general fighting game advice youtube style, these guys are great. For SFxT specific stuff, check the sfxt section of the forums

A stick doesnt make you better, time playing does, just use the forums and practice in training mode at least a few hours a day for a week or so, learn how to use launcher and learn your characters best tag in combo to start doing damage. Always do your best tag in combo. Later on you can learn to switch cancel and keep it going.

Go into the SfxT fourms,ask people those guys in the sfxt fourms are nice people also play the characters you like

I think a good starting team for a beginner is ryu and chun li. Both are strong characters. As a beginner, make sure you have the dragon punch motion down - as in can pull it off on an opponent jumping on you and in the middle of a combo. Learn a combo off launcher for both characters (ryu and chun li are simple on this front). Spend a lot of time in training mode training your fingers and muscle memory. Learn the fighting game terminology - crossups, resets, etc. Read the forums and watch videos of characters you play as for ideas. Practice and play too excess. Remember to think about why you lost after matches.

Thank you, and I’ll be watching them for help :slight_smile:

Well, I’m never consistant, like i would go to the training room and do like 10 hadokens in a row, but in matches i panic and it doesn’t come out.

Well then the first thing to do is go for complete consistency in special moves. You cannot be doing combos if you cannot know that 100% of the time you will be able to do things like the Hadoken motion, Shoryuken motion, etc.

If you are really getting in on the ground level of fighting games I have a few pointers to keep in mind, some specifically pertaining to Street Fighter X Tekken.

1. Find a team or two and stick with them: SFxT has many characters and the 2v2 aspect can be daunting. While it is important to play as various characters to get a feel for what you like, when you are starting out you should limit the characters you use so you can become comfortable with the game’s system and strategy without worrying about various different things. If you choose characters you enjoy, it will make training much more enjoyable. To find characters just try a few of them out for a bit and see what their attacks are, or look online and in the character forums here to determine which suit how you will want to play. All fighting games are a fight and your character is your weapon of choice. Better to learn how to fight with a single weapon before you start learning a dozen. If you want any character help please ask, I know enough about any character to give you the basics on em.
    P.S: if you are having problems with execution do not play Jin or Kazuya.

2. Learn how to use training mode. Seems simple, but there’s no point in spending hours in training mode if you are not using them as efficiently as you can. ultrachen.tv has already been mentioned and they have a whole episode on how to use training in various games. You should always set the dummy to “Auto Block,” when combo training for instance; it will automatically block anything that is not a true combo after the first hit. It is great for practicing combos and execution and must be used as such, but if you only practice against a motionless dummy then it does not matter if you can get 10 Hadokens off. Practice your stuff on the dummy, but then see if you can do the same things once they start attacking you.

3. Learn post-launch combos for your team: After you connect with a launcher you get a free combo, so find one that does strong damage and you are able to do well. Launch combos are like serves in tennis, it is all you so there is no excuse in having a weak one.

4. Begin to learn how life and meter management works. SFxT might as well be called “Resource Management: the Game.” Players can have an advantage over another if they understand how the life and meter bar works and use it to their advantage. For instance, combos that involve tagging do more damage than solo combos, but when a player is tagged in when they have gray life they lose the ability to recover it. So by tagging someone in you can do maybe 100 more damage, but you may also have lost even more than that off recoverable life. The more you tag and recover health, the more health you will have to fight with. So make sure you have combos with your characters that do not involve tagging when it is dangerous to tag, even if they are incredibly basic. P.S: solo character damage creates less recoverable life than if you hit them with multi-character combos.

5. Briefly familiarize yourself with the Oki/wakeup game: After a character gets knocked down, a whole subgame is opened up. Some characters are even designed to play especially well in this situation. This is true in any fighter, but SFxT it is especially important because it inherits more intricacies from its Tekken parent here. Someone who is knocked down generally has three immediate options: 1. Quick recovery (some moves prevent this option). 2. Normal recovery. 3. Forward Roll recovery (allows you to escape immediate pressure or being in the corner).
    After this selection a player must also decide what they are doing "on wakeup. Generally they can:
    a) block. The safest option, but be wary of throws or moves that defeat one way of guarding (mid and low).
    b) reversal/attack. Not open to all characters, but many have moves that are invincible for a period of time, so they can cut through an opponent that is trying to attack. Shoryuken is the classic reversal. You can also try attacking if you do not possess a reversal, if you believe your opponent is tentative.
    Every human has a tendency to do certain things in this situation. Noticing what they do on wakeup and preparing to counter it is incredibly important, as it not only leads to free damage it also forces them to consciously change their style. A player with even a fundamental knowledge of how to play the Oki game will not only be harder to rush down and pressure but they will also be able to continue their offense effectively after they have finished a combo. Vary how you wakeup and learn what your foe is doing!
    P.S: You can select how the dummy wakes up in training mode, very effective for learning this.

6. Become familiar with defense and guarding. Knowing when you are on the defense is just as important as how to conduct your offense. Knowing when to stand guard and when to crouch guard will come with practice, but in general it is best to crouch guard unless a) your opponent is using a jumping attack or b) you see an Overhead attack coming your way. Try making the computer use various characters and block their attacks as best you can. When they leave an opening with something stupid, go on the offensive and punish them!

7. Start developing your gameplan. Again, there’s an ultrachen episode just on this, very helpful. In short, you always want to be in control of your actions. Determine what you want to be doing with your characters in order to win when you are a full screen away, a half screen, in their face, etc. What moves do you want to use? Where are your characters most comfortable and how can you maintain that position? You should not try emulating what top players are doing with your characters because to be frank, you do not have the ability to do so. So build a gameplan, use it, and then after every battle take mental notes: did doing that attack there help or hurt? You will have many plans destroyed over your time but you’ll need to retool them and that’s how we improve our minds as well as our reactions and execution.

8. Get to know your gems. Gems are important in SFxT, let no one tell you otherwise. Assist gems are meant to assist but to be honest, I do not advise them. Using things like easy input and autoblock will not help you improve so much. Picking the right boost gems for your playstyle is very important and allows you to subtly change your characters to best suit that gameplan you’ve been drilling yourself in. For starters, however, I would only use Fortitude gems and Life gain gems. These will give you more HP each round, so you will have more time to improve and learn how your opponent plays.

Thank you so much for this info. I’m trying my best to get better. I hate that everything when i get in an online match, i seem to lose. But i have so much to learn. Is there any characters that is easy to learn, like Ryu and Ken?

If you just want to learn the basics first, ryu and ken are a great place to start. Then once you get a feel for everything branch out and explore the rest of the cast, there’s a lot of different playstyles and potential waiting to be unlocked.

When selecting a team, it is important for them to have synergy and be in the right formation. When starting out it is best to use the characters you are comfortable with, but why not start getting comfortable with characters that have synergy? Basics to remember in team formation before I move to specific characters:
The Point character is the character that fights first. This must be a character you are comfortable with. Point characters are able to dictate where the battle will be fought, if passive they can start their keep away right away and if offensive can rush in from the opening seconds. They must also be able to handle any manner of opponent to the best of their ability.
The Anchor character is second. They might not be as versatile as the point but since it is the point’s job to tag them in an advantageous position they need not worry. Most anchors are high damage characters that are unable to get past a solid defense or defend against a rushdown on their own. Lastly, Anchors can also be “meter eaters,” those that can convert meter into huge damage, since the point can give them the meter they need right away.

Thanks i will be using them. I was using Ryu and Cammy before.

You’ll want to mix up Ryu and Ken as soon as possible, really, since they are somewhat samey in their overall scheme and therefore makes you predictable. I would suggest learning some stuff with them then, as you move onto other characters, keeping one in place as a familiar anchor while you learn another.

As for other characters, it largely depends on what you are going for. No one beats Ryu or Ken because they have specials that are specifically made to teach you various aspects: Hadokens for farther back, Shoryukens for anti-air and wake up reversals, and Spinny Kicks for tag combos. After playing with them you’ll realize “I like to play offense with Ken’s kicks,” or “sitting back with Hadokens and letting the opponent come to me is nice,” or even “these characters are too boring! I wanna style!” Now I’ll list a few characters who I feel not only are relatively easy to learn the basics, but also serve to teach various playing styles and aspects about SFxT. If I use any terms you are unfamiliar with, you can look them up or ask and I’ll tell you.

Guile: A very strong defensive character with only two special moves and a host of unique attacks. Guile plays rather turtley, allowing him to throw Sonic Booms at an opponent and flashkicking them if they jump. Because he has such few special moves, his regular attacks are quite strong and have great range. This is true for most any charge character. Do not be afraid to try charge characters because they are different! Possess a reversal.
Strategies learned with Guile: Defense/Zoning, charge specials, reading opponent, “footsies.”

Hwaorang: His bag of tricks showcases what many Tekken characters bring to the table and is a good way to learn them for yourself. He has many standing attacks that hit mid, which must be blocked high, allowing for “mix up,” forcing your opponents to change their style of blocking often to prevent damage. He possesses a divekick and a Special Step that bypasses fireballs to make it easy to approach, and his Hunting Hawk is like Ryu’s Spinkick in that it is easy to tag from. All the while he possesses a Shoryuken reversal, which many Tekken characters lack.
Strategies learned: Pressure, mixing up, stance changes, blockstrings.

Hugo: Hugo deals massive damage and does so rather easily with high power normals and easy combos. His moves have strong range given his size and many tools that help him through his weight around. For instance, some of his moves have armor, which means being hit once will not stop the move, and his body splash is great for “crossing up.” Hugo has a hard time approaching characters, however: he is the quintiessential Anchor.
Strategies learned: Crossing up, Armor moves, command grabs, having to get creative in your approach.

Nina: Like Hugo, Nina can deal very high damage with relatively easy combos. Unlike Hugo, she possesses better speed and great “pokes” and “footsies,” allowing her to get into the damage well enough on her own. She also possesses a wealth of “Tekken Strings,” if you press certain buttons in a particular order her moves will change. This is important because they are a kind of canned combo you can rely on and they all have different uses, either mixing the opponent up, making you safe from punishment, and all the while being very unpredictable. She’s a well balanced character no beginner should fail to try, and the first one I got serious with.

2 more on the way.

Oh thanks!!! Man, there’s so much stuff to this game!!! I’ll do my best. I just will keep working on my consistency

playing against better players and losing does not mean you are not good yourself. do not feel overwhelmed because of that. if you put everything you can in the game, this is what matters.even if you are called a beginner or treated derogatorily. even this should be taken for fun.

first and foremost enjoy the game.screw online matches. no really, screw them, at least in the beginning.

I’ll try. I’m going to be working hard to be better at online. For now, i guess I’ll be working on the arcade mode.

Omg, I didn’t know that!!! You’re so smart :slight_smile: I always like how Hwaorang is tricky and is Nina good for a beginner?

This game is less execution based and more resource management and strategy based, which is why I personally like it better than SF4 AE.

Really?! I didn’t know that, because when I go on an online match people is always doing complex combos and whatnot. But thanks, I’ll keep that in mind, I need to change a lot in how I’m playing.

While this is true, basic execution is still very important… If you can’t pull out your moves and combos on command you’re already fighting a losing battle.

Damn!!! :frowning: then I’m losing a lot of battles then. I just panic way too much.