I need someone I can practice with

Hello, sorry to bother you all.

This is really frustrating for me but I haven’t been able to get any better at SFIV by myself. I feel like I can play every other fighting game out there really well except for this one, and I’m getting pretty sad because this is the one I practice the most.

I practice my links, I play a whole damn lot but I feel like I’m really really horrible and at this point I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’ve mostly noticed that I get scared in situations where I should be pressuring people after I check all of my opponent’s options, it’s like I mix myself up, I just don’t know what to do.

I also have no execution problems as far as I know, I can use the joystick pretty well and rarely miss my links.

I’ve read all the advice in here, I’ve read my character forum as well, and I’ve been trying to sort it out by myself, but I don’t know what I’m missing, it’s like everyone understands this game better than I do. I would like to get some practice with someone who knows the game well, and maybe get some advice on what I can improve. :frowning:

I’m also located in Mexico, so my only option for practice is online. But I have good connections against players from the USA.

I play the PS3 version of the game.

I think once you play for a while with a good understanding of your main character’s normal moves and pressure tactics, things start to become more natural/instinctual and you become able to have your mind focused more on mindgames than on execution. I’m hardly a great player, but I’ve found this to be the case. The game becomes a lot more fun, too.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/playstation-network.337/

You can find some online comp there as well…

It sounds like paralysis by analysis; having combos and links down is great, but that isn’t all there is to it, like Q87 said. For some advice, how about picking up a character that you don’t know all the in and outs for, and just have fun playing the game for a while? Maybe that will help you get a better feel for how other players are playing, since you won’t be so focused on nailing all your links, and maybe it will teach you to distill the game back down to a more simple level (ie. hit them where they are not blocking). You are asking for a practice partner, but this sounds more like a mental thing to me, just got to get over it.

psn: greenryu