I need suggestions for solder iron

Okay my solder iron which i got from radio shack which i haven’t used ever, until i started modding my mayflash arcade stick, during the desoldering process, my solder tip became burned/black, I need to know should i get a new solder iron, something that scrape off the tip of the solder

also i forget when i’m adding solder on the pcb, what should i be using for my 22 gauges to the sawna buttons: cause radio shack aren’t helpful in my situation

You can use some 300 grit sand paper or a metal file to lightly remove the black bits, but you have to tint (add solder) the soldering iron point right away to protect the tip.
Alternatively Radio Shack does sell replacement tips for the soldering iron.
[/quote]

Trust me they are not, and most of Radio Shack staff have no clue about actual projects, and Stick modding is a niche hobby.

You want to go to either Paradise Arcade Shop or Focus Attack and order some .110 sized quick disconnects. They are 10 cents a piece, you want two quick disconnects per button. Get extra encase you messed up.
Automotive stores have them too but they will charge you an arm and a leg. You will crimp the connectors on with a crimper tool. Most likely your wire stripers double as crimpers.

Trust me they are not, and most of Radio Shack staff have no clue about actual projects, and Stick modding is a niche hobby.

You want to go to either Paradise Arcade Shop or Focus Attack and order some .110 sized quick disconnects. They are 10 cents a piece, you want two quick disconnects per button. Get extra encase you messed up.
Automotive stores have them too but they will charge you an arm and a leg. You will crimp the connectors on with a crimper tool. Most likely your wire stripers double as crimpers.
[/quote]

when you mean by tint… is that 0.7mm 60/40 Resin Core Solder??? is that what i need for when soldering the pcb?

To Tint is to add solder, this is done to the surface your soldering too, the wire you are soldering and the soldering iron tip itself.
When you clean your soldering Iron tip, to prevent from it turning black again you ass some solder to the soldering iron tip as a protective coat.

You would tint your soldering Iron tip to make it last longer and you do not have to buy replacement tips that often.

If you ever have to look for a new soldering Iron all together, I avoid radio shack. Go to your local Lowes or Home Depo, and if they don’t have it check online for a Weller soldering iron.
They are Less than $20, and perform so much better than the crap Radio Snack peddles out.

It’s “tin” not “tint”, not trying to be a dick, just letting you guys know.

okay thanks I’ll keep that in mind and try home depot and see if they have 60/40 Resin Core Solder wire

I second the opinion about Radio Shack soldering irons.
They are crap!
Spend a bit more money and get something more durable that lasts longer. The Radio Shack stuff is unbelievably cheap and brittle… The only things that break worse are the economy trash bags Wal-Mart sells! LOL

As for 0.110 Quick Disconnects, they are a lot cheaper online if you look for deals on E-Bay or other auction sites. You’ll get better deals on 100-piece packs than you will buying individually at any store if you’re planning to mod or customize more than one joystick. Buy more than what you need whatever the case… I never had a project where I didn’t mess up at least one QD!
What style of QD you buy is up to you… I personally don’t like the styles that Hori and Mad Catz use on their joysticks. There are other jacketed QD’s that don’t have those transparent coats (Mad Catz) that tend to slip and aren’t bare like the Hori QD’s. The last set of QD’s I bought had Nylon(?) pink jackets… Very good deals.

i’ve had very good luck with the off-brand looking generic 30w soldering irons. you can pick them up in wal-mart and buy replacement tips from ebay or amazon for just a little over a buck each. the tips in lower brand irons use different metals that degrade over use. whenever my tip gets too worn i run it against my my belt sander but i’ve also had success with a nail file in the past.

you can extend the life of your tips by keeping a bit of steel wool by your work station. clean your tip periodically to loosen debris and solder drips left on the iron.

Radio Shack soldering irons are fine for standard home use. They’re not the highest quality iron, but they’ll do the basic job of heating stuff up. Just be sure to clean it properly and tin it during use.