I play worse with an arcade stick

I’ve been playing fighting games for about a year now, and I’m definitely not going to say I’m good or anything. I could win a few games of Arcade Edition online, but I definitely wasn’t great. I figured it was time to try an arcade stick, so I picked up a TE at CeX for 60 quid and tried to use it, but I fared significantly worse than I did with the pad. I found it difficult to do HCFs and even QCFs, and I still haven’t managed to activate Oni’s Ultra 2 once. I’m completely unable to do anything with Rufus. I fare slightly better with Evil Ryu, Sakura and Oni but I’m still playing much worse than I did with the pad. I’m not sure if this happens to everyone switching from pad to stick, but it’s worrying me a little. What should I do to improve my game with the stick?

Practice the motions a lot. It’ll take about a month to get used to.

The way I learned stick was to stop playing sf4 for a while and go into HD remix/super turbo and just practice the motions there. It demands accuracy in ways sf4 doesn’t.

Also, don’t ride the gate.

Welcome to SRK. Please read the stickies before asking questions, they cover your exact question.