I really need help

I think I posted in the wrong place earlier, but…,

I’m fairly new to street fighter and I still just don’t understand alot of things. I really dont know where to begin. I try to train in training mode and learn combos, but I don’t know exactly what I need to practice.

After hopping around with characters, I decided to use Yun. I play online more than I should since I’m a noob, but I do it to find out what i need to work on. At this point I’m at a loss. I try watching ranked match videos, tournaments, tutorials, all of it. I just don’t know how to improve and it’s frustrating.

I just need help understanding the entire concept of the game. My veteran fighter is Blazblue and I know street fighter is played much different.

I don’t know what more I should know except the following, but I hope I can get some help from the people here in this forum:

1. How to do blockstrings properly
  • I just can’t figure out how it’s done without getting counter-hit by the opponents c.lp c.ml or whatever they throw out. I don’t mash because i don’t like the concept and I know it doesn’t particularly work. I know what cancels are, links, and chains (though i kinda get the difference between links and chains mixed up). I just dont know how to do it.
  1. Blocking/evading jumping mixups and predicting/gimping thorws
  • maybe playing online has an effect on how well i can do either of these, but i get slammed frequently by both. I know blocking forward blocks the jump ins, but i still get hit most of the time. and i find when i try to grab people, i get gimped by their c.lp/lk. when i try to gimp their grabs, it doesnt work. As far as the jump in goes, I try blocking, fadc, jumping, all of it. I just cant get out of those stupid block strings where the opponent’s like c.lp>c.lp>c.lp>j.mk>repeat. I just don’t know my options.
  1. Finding and reading frame data correctly.
  • I often wonder how people like biffoftasty and other playing find out how to do so many combos so well in such a short period of time and I can only narrow it down to learning and utilizing frame data. I kinda know how to read them but I dont know how to utilize it into my gameplay

any other info to improve my gameplay that I’m unaware of is very welcomed.

On Youtube, search for VesperArcade, he has a whole series on stuff like this. His early SSF4 tutorials are REALLY basic, but the later ones have a lot of useful information you can use. He goes into detail about frame data in one chapter of the series, and each chapter has something different and helpful, like option selects, blockstrings, hit confirms, plinking and execution crouch teching, etc.

Listen to his videos, and if you are patient enough, you’ll definitely learn something, then come back here and use what you learn with the info on SRK, and it will start to come together.

Also, you kinda have to look around for Frame Data, but usually EventHubs has a nice collection of frame data for several fighting games. You could try and look there for a comprehensive list.