I seem to be having trouble with my portable hard drive

I don’t know what’s wrong with it and I hope it’s not corrupted. Lately, it’s been acting up and it’s a 420 gig, but I have only used about 100 gigs or so. Now my computer is detecting it, but when I open up the folder, it’s all empty, though it still says that the memories are still used up. I’ve tried rebooting, uninstall, reinstall. Any idea guys?

you could boot a different Opetating System like linux to see if it will “see” your files. You will probably want something like Ubuntu that has a nice GUI, the CD has a live version as well as an installer. You could boot your computer via the CD into a linux opertating system and try to access your files there.

hm…i am able to open the folder again, but one problem now is I can’t seem to transfer files over. I am getting this message over and over.

Can not “insert name of file here” : The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

try different computer… i know it sounds stupid, but it might work. it does sound like data corruption, though, take it from someone who has had like 5 hdd’s fail in the last couple years. (T_T )