I'm at a plateau...how to improve from here?

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Hi Everyone,</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Noobie here, just wanted to get some advice!  I’ve been training seriously for about 6 months now, but I feel like in the last few weeks I haven’t really been able to improve much.  Of course, I’m still learning other characters, combos, etc., but when it comes to actual matches with my main I feel like I’m still on the same skill level as I was a month ago.  This is a bit discouraging, but I’m a dedicated player and I pump in a few hours a day whenever I can.  Unfortunately, I work 60+ hours a week, so I can’t go out and attend casuals and get more match play experience in, I only get to spend a few hours in training before going to bed every night.  My roommates are all tired of getting pummeled by me (they only played for fun) so I have no one else to play against at home, and the online latency is too atrocious to practice my main effectively.</span></font></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>I’m sure I’m not the only person to have felt like this.  What is everyone else’s experience?  Do I just have to get in more actual match experience?  Do I need to change up my training routines?  Any shared experiences or advice would be appreciated, thank you!</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>Oh, and my main is:</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>C. Viper (BK)</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>Doctor Doom (Plasma)</div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>Akuma (Tatsu)</div>

Your problem is really simple. 60 hour work week means you’re fucked for long term training sessions unless you solely work during the weekdays and actually get weekend time. Most tournament stuff is on the weekend any ways. Especially major stuff.

Your best bet is just to take some off/vacation time and just get practice in at a major. That’s pretty much what I do now since I don’t regularly have a car to go to the small local stuff all the time. You learn a lot more from casuals and tourney play from all of the various players at a major than just grinding all day with the same people who throw the same situations at you.

Thanks for the advice.  I do have weekends off, but I am the head of the household and have other responsibilities during the weekend (no kids yet though, thank god).  I talked it over with my wife last night, I’ll be delegating some responsibilities to my roomies so I can start going to a local casual on Saturdays.  Hopefully it’ll help.

You seem to know to put in lab time and play against local players so here is some more ideas.

Although online play can be a pain, find someone better than you, with good connection, that is willing to smash you while telling you what’s wrong. I have an online friend that pushed me to get better to keep up.

Next, watch and study every piece of technology that pertains to individual characters of your roster. Take that and ask yourself how can your assists make the tech even better. If you are using combinations of characters that are common, look up tech for both.

Lastly, watch more tournament play and streams. Even if they aren’t using characters you main with (I have yet to see my main played by anyone except me on stream, tourney or online) you can learn tendancies of the rest of the cast at their highest potential. This helps “slow the game down” because you know what to expect. I often watch matches and envision how my team would fair against their team. Of course I don’t expect to actually beat tourney players, but many people copy tourney teams, and the insight helps exploit found weaknesses.

Hope that helps.

When I reach a plateau, then that means that I need to either play a new team, figure out something on my own with my team, or take a break from the game. <br><br>You working 60 hours a week hinders your game. When you can, take a weekend off and either train or go to a major. Majors are the ultimate leveling up experience.<br>

Thanks everyone for the advice!<div><br></div><div>I’m pretty pumped, I attended a casual this past SAT, got in a lot of matches and I feel like I learned a lot playing against all the different teams.  I’ve also been studying a lot of match vids online, which led to me optimizing my bnb, and I feel like I’ve seriously leveled up these past few days.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I can keep the pace up!</div>

You obviously need to quit your job. <br>

o.o

That’s what Brightside did. Now he comes to all the parties with me, and we play together all the time…

But I need to pay rent and feed bottomless pits and a wife D:

Ask yourself why you have plateaued and why you aren’t beating others. If your team faultless or should you switch out Akuma? Have you mastered everything to master about your characters?

Thanks for the advice, I’ve been keeping calm and subjective in my losses and asking myself these questions. Akuma is solid, I don’t know how many times I’ve had 3-char comebacks with Akuma anchor; I feel Viper is definitely a double-edged blade for me right now, depending on the match-up she’s either extremely effective or the exact opposite. I am thinking of switching out Doom to support and strengthen where Viper is lacking and also increase her overall effectiveness…I’ll have to take it to the team-building thread I guess?