I'm interested in getting serious in fighting games

Ok, well, I have always loved fighting games but I never really got into them. I might play a little game of Tekken at an arcade or Soul Calibur against a friend, but I would do it rarely and nothing too competitive. I have heard about EVO, I have seen the Daigo EVO 2004 comeback video, and now I have watched some of the stream myself on Friday and last night and I want to start playing for real. I might not be good but I want to know where to start off.

I love Street Fighter and have loved it since I can remember playing it at an arcade at camp 10+ years ago. I’m too young to own a SNES and really remember playing it (I’m almost 19) and I never got into Playstation, so I never got to play it much owning a Nintendo 64 and Gamecube. I have an Xbox 360 and I’m very likely to get a Playstation 3 and I’m wondering what arcade stick to get since they’re apparently far superior than a traditional Xbox 360 or PS3 controller. I currently don’t have a Playstation 3 but my dad has a $500 Best Buy gift card and he wants to get another Blu-Ray player so I’m going to try to convince him to get a Playstation 3 for the Blu-Ray player and I also have wanted one for a while. Does Best Buy sell a decent arcade stick in-store? I saw they have the Mad Catz Super Street Fighter IV Tournament S stick but it’s online only and it’s very expensive. Plus I think price match doesn’t apply for the online store so I’d be paying full retail instead of a few extra dollars off from price matching. Another question is if it’s optimized mainly for Super Street Fighter IV. I don’t want to buy three arcade sticks for different games so I’d see it pointless to buy that if it’s mainly a Street Fighter IV stick. If Best Buy doesn’t work for that, is there another stick comparable or even better than the Mad Catz stick? I have looked at the Hori Pro Arcade Stick and it looks very nice and it has a nice color and was wondering if that’s as good as or better than the Mad Catz stick. Also, do the sticks work for both the 360 and PS3 or is it separate sticks per system? I presume I’d be getting a PS3 stick since the Xbox 360 market is practically non-existent in Japan and that’s where so much of the fanbase for fighting games is from. Money isn’t a huge factor but I doubt I’m going to spend hundreds of dollars for some uber rare stick that’s a bit better or even annihilates every other stick

My final question is where I can find online or buy an in-depth chart for character moves and a strength-weakness charts for different characters in Super Street Fighter IV. I’ve looked on here but I think it’s per character and I’m too lazy to search dozens of character specific forums for an in depth moves list and such. If there is a universal one on here, I apologize. But I’m mainly interested in Street Fighter since that’s the game I’m most familiar with, even though there are 3x as many characters in the new versions. But thanks for those who can help answer some or all of my questions :slight_smile:

strength/weakness charts?

gamer-fucking bee. that’s what you should be learning.

leave the “EVO HYPE” somewhere else

I don’t even know what I said wrong and what I meant by strength weakness charts and stuff is i don’t even know half the moves since I haven’t even touched a Street Fighter game since Street Fighter II for SNES. Why is that such a bad question? I apologize if I put this in the wrong section but I just wanted some information to learn how to start playing.

Are you too lazy to search?

I’m going to elaborate on my post a little; not sure if you’re following evo.

Gamerbee is an Adon player, a character most people don’t really see as " top-tier " ; earlier he beat out Justin Wong ( best SSF4 player in the United States ) while he used Rufus ( a top tier character ) … and so the lesson learned is, pick and play whoever the heck you want. Don’t worry about numbers, or opinions, or what-thefuck ever. Just pick someone, and go from there.

What’s the point of a question/newbie forum if you want me to Google everything? I looked through the forums and there wasn’t a thread in plain sight with real concrete answers to any of my questions. I can understand if you said what you said with a link but that’s just plain rude and a waste of my time and the site’s bandwidth.

For advice on which stick to buy, read the arcade stick sticky thread in this very forum.

As far as for a move strength/weakness chart for the whole game, no such thing exists to my knowledge. Frankly, it’s simply way too large of an undertaking for any one person to do, in my opinion at least. Fighting games are very match up specific, so any such move sheet would have to discuss the relative merits of each move in context of 35 match ups (for SSF4) which isn’t really practical.

You’re better off picking a character or two and checking out the sticky threads in the character specific sections. Welcome to the community, but you should know that you can’t want to be serious about getting into fighting games and be lazy at the same time. It just doesn’t work like that.

Mess around with a bunch of characters for a week, do a few of the in game trials, peruse the character specific forums, and decide on someone you like.

There is no singular “master list” that document would be around the size of a dictionary…

Once you find 1-3 chars you enjoy, then the work begins.

On top of what was said already, don’t let anyone tell you how to play your character. Just find the character(s) you like and play them your way…just don’t become a flowchart. :rofl:

Quit telling people how serious you are and practice:looney:(read up in the forums and other resources online)…

Crazy amounts of info are available if you bother to look for it… also knowing shit is only one part of the game, the other half is execution… practice combos and different techniques relevant to the game you are playing…

And if you are really serious, then go get yourself a stick, everyone recommends the TE stick(if you can’t afford it, Madcatz usually has them on sale all the time)…

If you are interested in MvC2, the best to have is a Happ stick but any will do fine if you are willing to put extra time into learning it…

I wasn’t trying to be rude but most of what you are asking is laid out for you. Sometimes you just got to go the extra mile and look for it. Don’t you read the stickies?

also not to be rude, but a matchup chart isn’t gonna tell you shit. good players tend to break those repeatedly

ill answer some of your questions without being a dick. If you really want to play seriously you should get a good stick, the new madcatz te sticks are great, and thats probably what you should get but yes they are expensive. You may be able to find a round 1 stick online for a good deal cheaper which is pretty much the same stick as the newer version just a slightly different case design. Also no the madcatz sticks are not compatible with both systems you’ll have to have them modded if you want them to work on both, which you can do by yourself if you have some soldering experience or you can find someone to do it for you there plenty of people on this site who will do it for you for a fee of course. Read the tech forums for more info on dual-modding sticks.

As for a chart of strengths and weaknesses, i mean you can pick up a strategy guide if you want a basic idea of each character but youll learn alot more by just playing the game and putting your time. SF isnt really a game that your gonna be able to read some info and watch videos and get good. Your going to have to put in MANY MANY hours.

This. It doesn’t really matter what character you pick, just about every character is viable (EXCEPT for Hakan and Dan, do not pick them). Watch some videos of characters you think would be interesting and try a few that look like they’d fit your playstyle.

Also, ignore all the douchebags on this forum. I don’t know why they bother coming into the Newbie section just to flame people for asking questions, this forum has cool people and douches, just pretend the douches don’t exist 99% of them don’t have a clue what they’re talking about anyways.

As for the arcade stick, your best bet for a beginner’s stick is a Mad Catz Fightstick SE (standard edition). It’s like $70, but does not use any top of the line parts. It is the best beginner’s stick because it’s extremely easy to upgrade when you’re ready.

HOWEVER, if you can afford ~$100-$150 for the stick, the Mad Catz Fightstick TE (tournament edition) is far and away the best reasonably priced non-custom stick on the market. Has all top of the line parts and the only thing you can get that’s better would be a custom stick or a Hori VLX, which is like $300. The only reason they’re better is build quality, you can’t upgrade the parts and the TE is built like a tank anyways, you’d never need to upgrade.

Go to the Tech Talk forum, there’s a sticky right now from MarkMan advertising a EVO sale for TEs. It doesn’t matter which version of the TE you get, they’re all the same, choose the one you like the art on the most.

Super Street Fighter 4 Moves, Characters, Combos and Strategy Guides : EventHubs.com

Read that, pick a character and then get stuck in!

to be honest I don’t think it matters if this guy uses a fuckin ddr pad to play. if you can do what you need to do, when you need to do it & how you need to do it, that’s all that matters as far as execution

if you’re serious about it, I suggest you disregard everything anyone says and learn the game on your own. forget about tiers; instead, learn the strengths and weaknesses of the characters and their moves. work on covering up the weaknesses of your char and its moves; work on exploiting the strengths. solve all of the problems you run into. most importantly, learn to adapt. i’ll put down a story of one of my experiences in a moment, still editing

ok, thank you all for your responses and help.

Thank you Gibz82, that was exactly what I was looking for :slight_smile:

When I say strength weakness charts, I don’t mean which character is “better” than another or the tiers but what they specialize in and how their characters work which is what I think you said, omfg.

As I said, the game has changed a LOT since SFII and there’s a lot more game and strategy to learn and understand. So you’d recommend the Madcatz TE fighting stick over the Hori Pro Arcade SA. 3? I was on Amazon.com comparing sticks and that specific stick was highly rated as well.

Thank you those who went out of their way to answer my questions and I apologize if I’m being too lazy.

There are write-ups on TZ that detail character strengths and weaknesses and that cover certain moves and their strengths as well as other posts that go into detail explaining move properties, also in the 3S forums here there are extensive breakdowns for some characters on each move and their properties. It is possible and practical.

To the OP despite the existence of these references you have to look for your own specific characters. For the character you choose such references may not exist. Even if such a chart or expose exists it will take hours upon hours maybe even more hours to understand the application of these theories.

The first thing you should really do is go to the regional sub-forums and see if there are people who play near you. If there are, go play with them. I know it’s tempting to buy the game and sit in training mode/play online for months until you’re “good enough” to play with real people. Seriously though I’ve seen countless people who played with their roommates/played online/did all the hard trials for their character that came to play with us offline and were free wins. They almost were easier to beat than a complete beginner because they had so many bad habits ingrained from playing online and playing against people who didn’t know what they were doing. You’re going to lose probably every match you play when you start out, you might as well just start losing offline instead of losing online, start winning online, then lose all your matches offline when you finally get up the nerve to play offline.

Keep in mind that most new players are bad because they don’t know what to do at all, not because they can’t execute their combos. This means that you can have a bunch of combos down in training mode and never get a chance to land them in a match. Play a lot, preferably offline, and when you start seeing that you are landing chances to do a combo, then you should probably hit training mode and get it down solid. Don’t do it the other way around. It’s fine to practice combos in training mode, but if you focus too much on it you’re going to neglect more important aspects of the game.

As for which character to use, you really should probably just go with whoever seems fun to you. Watch tournament videos and you should be able to figure out who looks most fun to you and also what strengths and weaknesses a lot of characters have. I usually recommend new players use Balrog, but if he seems really boring to you don’t use him. Ryu and Sagat are also good choices. I generally recommend new players use a character that doesn’t have very pronounced weaknesses and characters that have strong normals.