I'm Pretty good with a fightpad will a joystick make me that much better?

I’m not bad at SF4 with a fightpad …right now around 2000-2200 bp.
I have a mad catz Sf4 TE pre-ordered.
Real question is will this help my game? Lil bit joystick experience from sf2-umk3 days.
Learning curve?
Also any info on using one properly or techniques, an experienced joystick technition would mine to share some secrets to a newb, very willing/quick to learn.
Thanks in advance

You lucked out. Because I’m feeling generous today, I’ll give you the secret to playing on stick:

Practice.

True.dat

I started with a fight pad and when I switched to a stick it was a whole new world for my fingers. Use what you know and practice practice practice. Right now I can pull off more moves with the fightpad because thats what I am use to.

writing down… gotcha
anything on stick grip o’ wise one
or why i should stick with square restrictor?
piano technique wtf?
anyone else make the big switch with success?

My personal experience when I first started a stick was actually quite frustrating… Back at the times of SF II for the good ol’ SNES, I was very good with the pad and could spam out the srk without problems… Then I got my Neo Geo (I could whip myself for selling it, ugh), and got my ass handed quite heavily, as I wasn’t able to shell out allmost any special move.

Fact is that by using a pad, your hand is accustomed to quite different movements than by using a stick. The movements on the pad are “learned” and quasi “imprinted” in your brain/body, but on a stick, you have to re-learn it, or more to say, your “body” has to learn it anew, until it becomes intuitious.

It’s like learning to drive a car: In the beginning, you have to consciously push the clutch and shift gears and braking is also a bit “humpy”, but after a while, you don’t have to think about it anymore, as your brain and your body have learned it.

The same applies to the stick-usage.

To bring it to a point, I’ll just quote HazeandFire:

Sorry for the long reply… I just couldn’t stop my fingers from rushing over the keyboard… They are very used to that… :razzy:

There’s like 5 of these exact same threads all over this forum.

Hint: Street Fighter started out in the arcades. Arcades use joysticks. Why do people think pads > joysticks for Street Fighter when it’s been a joystick game for nearly 20 years?

The learning curve will be high, hell I still manage to flub up my Ultras and teleport instead on a joystick. It just takes practice. One of the biggest advice I can give you for a joystick is, if you’re going to use it, stabalize it. If it’s on your lap, beyond just grip, find a way that joysticks orientation is the same throughout all your matches.

Because if it’s canted, or “crooked” on your lap and you suddenly need to go Charge Back, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT! and it’s crooked to the right, you’ll be hitting UPLEFT, DOWNRIGHT, UPLEFT. Cuz of the corners.

Either use a table, or make sure that baby is snug on your lap somehow. Messing up the orientation mid lap, or worse, gradually from match to match, extents the learning curve on your stick and ends up just making you learn bad habits to make up for the moving case.

This should help getting to know how to use your stick:

don’t think there better than sticks… just the opposite … just that i’m good with a pad but want to get better and i see that a joystick is the correct path to take that next step is what im sayin, know what i’m sayin… knawmeen

I’m in the same boat. I’m good with gamepads but what to give sticks another shot. Check out this thread for tips:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=179675

There has bee discussion on whats actually better (gamepad vs stick), but the conclusion is that it is really just a matter of preference. For me, however, I want to get use to stick to maybe start playing at local arcades whenever I want. Also, with gamepad, I feel 95% confident that a move will come out but I hope with a stick I will become 99% confident.

seen it about 8 times man… thanks though, anything else? i’m a sponge 4 information throw whatever you think might help at me dudes

[quote=“Jrstrdr, post:9, topic:58695”]

I’m in the same boat. I’m good with gamepads but what to give sticks another shot. Check out this thread for tips:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=179675

There has bee discussion on whats actually better (gamepad vs stick), but the conclusion is that it is really just a matter of preference. For me, however, I want to get use to stick to maybe start playing at local arcades whenever I want. Also, with gamepad, I feel 95% confident that a move will come out but I hope with a stick I will become 99% confident with a stick.

i concur 100%

You my friend should be a teacher, very well explained :slight_smile:

Im gonna give my Hore EX2 another go i think, I know its not the best stick in the world but if I practice with this, when I finally get the TE I should be just as good with that

@elrasho: hehehe, thanks. Funny, about 15 years ago I actually wanted to become a teacher… ^^ But I’m not, my destiny led me to quite a different way.

I notice in that video the Capcom guy has modded his SE fightstick, probably Sanwa no doubt.