Improving composure

Make an existsentialist journey to the Himalayas and train with the Shaolin Monks the way of Marvel Zen. When you come back, you’ll be better at Marvel, calmer, wiser,Bhuddist AND bald!

-But seriously take a break, play another game take your mind off it for a bit.
-Respect your opponent no matter what, whether they be herp, or they be derp. You have the right to be angry and criticize but always look at your own faults rather than external sources
-Learn the matchups, and always aspire to do better
-Never stop, you always have more to learn even if you know every character matchup. There are players who do unconventional things and have different team strategies the playing field always changes.

Sounds like you just need to accept the salt and move on. Hell, embrace the salt, use it to your advantage. Turn your anger towards something constructive. Figure out WHY you lost instead of obsessing over the fact you lost. Also, pretending to not know your opponents helps. This isn’t “guy I can body in casuals,” its “random guy #17.”

This is going to sound stupid, but remember to BREATHE during the matches. I watch a ton of people that sit there and hold their breath until they lose, and get even saltier. Remember to breathe during the matches, your performance will improve, and if you do lose, you’ll be less salty.

Lastly, I would recommend against taking a break. Taking a break means that everyone else levels up while you’re lagging behind, meaning they’re going to be that much on par/better than you. Get back on the horse, discover new tech, and stay on the grind. Otherwise those people you thought you could beat, really can beat your ass.

Regarding composure explicitly, I think my college football coach said it best, “Composure is knowing what to do and doing it despite knowing that it may fail since nothing in life is 100% certain.” Remember, panic isn’t going to help the situation and if you are panicking it’s because you don’t know what to do or even worse, empirical evidence is proving that your strategy isn’t working given enough attempts to verify the effectiveness of a given tactic. Just have to accept that there is either a weakness you have as a player you need to eliminate, your tech is obsolete and you need to hit the lab, or the odds just weren’t in your favor that day.

Best advice I can give you is “anyone can beat anyone on any given day,” which is something you’ll hear if you’ve ever wrestled in high school or college. Realistically, you’re always trying to put the odds in your favor (the very essence of fighting games) and doing the actions with the highest chance of success, given what your opponent is doing, to win but that’s no guarantee that you’ll win (especially in a game as random as Marvel.) Sometimes, no matter what you do, things just don’t work out or even worse, you’ll just get outclassed on a given day. Hell, I went 3-33 in casuals against someone and to be honest, I wasn’t sure if it was because they were leagues better than me (which is a a very real possibility) or if I was just really unlucky in that time.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed win or a play style that will allow you to win 100%. Sure a team comprised of Wolvie, Wesker and Akuma seems to have an advantage on the rest of the cast, but keep in mind that an S tier team in the hands of a F tier player will still under perform. Just because you have good tech and practice till your fingers hurt doesn’t always mean it will appear when you need it. Believe me, I’ve practiced my combos since Vanilla with my team and there is nothing more demoralizing than when you drop something you’ve practiced for hours (days, months, a year at this point) on end; makes you want to just drop it because you’re not seeing the returns.

Best thing to do is maybe take a break from competing intensely (to let the salt work it’s way out plus re-build your confidence) and compete for fun while focusing on improving what you can control:

1. Do you trust your execution enough for any given situation? If no, go work on making sure you don’t drop any combos (or sometimes, cutting them short at the right time if it’s too risky to keep it going) or get clipped because you messed up a wave dash

2. Do you understand enough about your opponents strengths and weaknesses? If no, learn more about the match-ups and figure out the right thing to do given what your opponent is doing

3. Do you know how to counter a particular setup that your opponent is using? if no, hit the lab, record your opponent’s setup and see if you can find a flaw to exploit or at the bare minimum improve your chances of surviving it

4. Do you have enough offensive options that have synergy therefore not allowing your opponent to have an optimal strategy against you? If no, see if you have a way of incorporating left-rights, high-lows, command grabs and everything else you can into opening up your opponent.

This is where I’m lacking as my team is way too based on reading my opponent and not generating some randomness, hence why I’m trying out Wolve, Shuma, Akuma as a training team for a while to see what it’s like to have those options. Best advice someone gave me was that “since your team thrives on chip and pressure but lacks any serious mix-up threats that are very damaging, I just have to make sure to attack you with adequate cover and you’ll eventually crack despite your ability to block 3 mix-ups in a row.” It finally dawned on me that I can manage 95% of match-ups pretty well, but it’s those 5% that were killing me since there are some situations that I can’t neutralize not matter how hard I try. Since Marvel is such an offensive game, I came to the conclusion that I was basically shooting myself in the foot sticking with my current team and am in the process of trying to re-tooling.

I agree with Cillranchello in that taking a total hiatus isn’t going to help you improve your game (however one to clear your head, recharge you batteries and get over some bad losses so you can hit it harder later is never a bad idea either.) My recommendation is to make a training schedule for yourself to practice specific aspects of the game (i.e. what characters does my combo kill and which ones should I just setup for a reset since going for an extended combo is risky, what is the optimal spacing I should try to maintain for specific characters with my characters, what are ways I can increase my mobility and the overall speed of my characters, can I create I create any true guess situations for my opponent, etc.) Hell I practiced for about 2 hours straight defending against Wolvie B.Slash by flicking my stick back and forwards and it was actually working fairly well against someone who was killing me before with Wolvie + Drones assist. Well, he is still killing me, but at least I’ve been stopping his B.Slash mix-ups more frequently. Once you think you have enough new stuff to try out, put it to the test against people.

Also, check this guy out if you think you know the definition of salty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gable

Dan Gable is famous for nearly going undefeated in his years of collegiate wresting to lose only once. Problem is that the one match he lost was he Senior Year, at the NCAA Tournament, in the Grand Finals. If you think you’re salty about one or two losses at a tourney, then imagine how Dan Gable felt and it should give you some perspective.

I disagree with this actually, sometimes taking a break is necessary to recharge your batteries. Im primarily an MK player but by the time this game came out I was beyond fed up with MK9 so I dropped it entirely for a good solid month or 2 in favor of this game, not too long ago I picked MK9 back up and while it took a little bit to get back to where I was Im now a much better player at that game than Ive ever been.

Agreed. Its how I got most comfortable with all my characters in the games I play. You also realize how much actually stayed in muscle memory.

I couldn’t fff with viper in ssf4 until a break them I tried it when I came back and that was that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1. Never underestimate anyone.
  2. Understand this game has some stupid bullshit, take the good of your characters with the bad
  3. LEARN how to beat the bullshit that beats you
  4. Remain calm and joke after a bad lose. This puts you in control of the next game due to you acting like it is no big deal. Will fluster the next opponent.
  5. I would be against taking a long break in this game but for every three hours you play this game, play an hour and thirty of another. I use AC/old school RPG type games as my source of relief.
  6. Remember it is a game in the end.
  7. Headphones.

One of my favorite PS2 games and one of my favorite quotes.

“The moment you lose your cool, you lose the battle.” - Kou Leifoh

I played that game awhile back and it’s something that’s always stuck with me because it’s true. Once we lose our “cool,” we no longer think and end up doing worse than if we played smart. Ever since air dashing got nerfed, I’ve tried to limit my air dashing with Ammy since it’s very noticeable but if she’s my last character, has half health and no XF, I lose my cool and air dash all over the place. The thing is, in Marvel, at any given second tons of shit can be happening and if you’re not thinking straight your mind wont be able to process it even though you’ve been playing for awhile. Not to sound like some gaming geek but Marvel is truly something you have to have watched/played for atleast a few weeks to know what’s going on in a fast paced game such as this. The other day, my cousin was watching me play and he honestly told “I have no fucking clue what’s happening.”

A good way to improve your composure (which will be referred to as “cool”) is learn to not lose it in the first place. Remember that you are human and not a cyborg named Desk sent from the future. You’re going to drop combos, your point character is going to die sometimes, you’re going to get Happy Birthday’d from time to time, etc. What makes you a great/better player is instead of just thinking “shit…” think about what your next move is going to be and why that situation happened. For example:

• I drop my combo.
  • Why? Because I didnt time it correctly.
    -The last move that hit was Air Play which causes an air recovery if not followed by an attack.
  • I can probably try to jump and air grab but it’s safer to just dash away.
  • My opponent is using Wolvie so air throw resets are too dangerous dashes away

I dont think you have any problem with this but I’ll post it anyway for anyone who might not know. The hardest part of Marvel is remembering all your options as well as your opponents. Too many people (including myself) go into a match and only play out one strategy. If you’re strategy doesnt work in the first 10 counts or so (or if you can tell by their team that your strat wont work) switch to a different playstyle. You want to have a playstyle (usually zoning) that’s going to make your opponent play the way you want them to. Why? Because making them play your “game” puts you in a more comfortable position so you dont lose your cool while infuriating them and hopefully making them lose their cool.

Lastly, if you have already lost your cool and are trying to gain it back, just dont give up and dont think “Im losing bc Marvel has BS.” At the end of the day, whether you lost to BS or not isnt gonna matter so thinking about it heavily during a match will just cloud your thinking. Learn from your previous mistakes and move on. Use the rest of match to learn more about your opponent and try to figure out his pattern/playstyle. Also, learn to basically go into “autopilot” and use that to think. By that I mean, do something with your character you can do without thinking that’s still effective so that you use that time to think. For Dante, I usually chuck Air Plays and Drives to cover the screen so maybe you can do Rapid Seismos as your autopilot? Obviously dont do it for an extended period of time but just for like a few seconds to let you breathe and cool down.

the thing about this game is that it is a sad truth that you can get random’d out especially like from a lvl 4 xfactor wesker. I don’t care what anyone says, atm that character is broken. but in response to your issue at hand. my suggestion is just try to find a way to stay calm. maybe listen to some music you like when going to tournies could help, u see alot of people do this and while it make look corny it actually does tune out the all the sounds and the people in the background and can actually put you in a rhythm.

2ndly the way this game works everyone loses in it from time to time. there is just way too many situations where the tides could turn instantly. the damage is high as is even without xfactor activated. try not to take it too serious and just try to have fun. I know that feeling of going to a tourny, u wanna impress, or maybe pull something great off on stream but 95% of the time if that is your mindset going to a tournament, it’s not gonna happen and you probably will just go 0-2 and get frustrated. Don’t try to go to a tournament and think you’re gonna be some superstar, go to a tourny and just try to have some fun and u most likely will do better, at least in this game. My view on this game is, the more serious you take it, the more stress you will have, but the more fun you just try to have with this game then it will be more enjoyable and you will do better.

This exact same thing happened to me on sunday… I lost to a hulk player I defeated in casuals right after at the uk shadoloo showdown qualifiers and then was just demoralized when I played cheech wizard and just lost…
Thing is I was beasting the whole day and got pissed when I got hit by what I considered a scrubby team (hulk,sent,wesker)
I used, Dante, Strider, Akuma and just didnt understand how I lost… But then I decided to go on a wilderness sabbatical and take a break from the game for this week.
When I come back to it Il probably learn a new character and start from scratch…
The same thing happened to me in street fighter actually I mained blanka and got pissed how much they nerfed him blamed the game and what not, went away for a few months and when I did decide to come back I was better than I was for some odd reason so Im thinking it might be the time to do the same with marvel.

Hey, he did compliment you on your point dexterity. That should be enough for you to get back at it dude. If anyone compliments you at your skills that means to some extent they respect you and your abilities.

Don’t confuse your ego with your abilities. Feel good when you win, and don’t feel anything when you lose; ask yourself WHY you lost and change it. If you do feel like shit, brush it off your shoulder. That’s what a competition is, it’s more mental than physical.

Some of this may come across as highbrow bullshit, but the topic is composure so I think it’s alright.

A lot of this has to deal with what you value and what you’re concerned with. The forums may be clouding your perception of the game. In the Tier Thread and Stream Commentary, we often talk a lot about where the game is going and how it should be played… not just about how it’s played right now or how we’re able to play it ourselves. You may be holding yourself to a higher standard than you’re ready for right now.

That standard we talk about is still the goal - don’t ignore what you know, but show yourself some mercy.

Rather than focusing on your placements or thinking in terms of “I should have beat that guy, *I’m better than him,” *refocus on improvement. Rewatch the matches where you lost it and look at the mistakes you made that got you flustered. Stomach your ego for now. You may find a use for it again at some point in the future, but for now it’s just a liability. If you’re going to be confident about anything, be confident about your drive to improve.

Your ego is probably hurting you other places too. Are you being open with your friends that you train with? Are you telling them how to punish stuff you do, or (tactfully) pointing out flaws in their play that you’re abusing? Your ego may have you hold on to that stuff in a shortsighted attempt to be better than someone rather than improve.

Also, realize your nerves are part of your overall ability as a player. We aren’t all equal, here. My gameplay has always looked worse on a big stage - that’s most people. If you play at a higher level than someone but have worse nerves, you have to improve in other ways to compensate for it. The good news is, you’ll gather nerve as you attend more tournaments and compete more at a high level with high stakes. Improving as a player and becoming more comfortable go hand in hand.

So that’s my advice. Double down on improvement. Take a break if you need to, but don’t radically change your approach to the game based on one performance, or think that improvement is outside of your reach. It’s tried and true.

Jack…

…Daniels

It won’t help you play better, but nerves won’t be an issue. :slight_smile:

great thread. just what the doctor ordered

i read it on here somewhere a while back but it reads pretty true…

“you are only as good as your last match”

i dunno, going to tournies with the expectation that you are going to win/beat such and such a player you are only setting yourself up for bad times if you lose. everybody loses at some point, thats usually why i dont play FG’s at all the day before a tourney or event or something since you are setting yourself up for negative thoughts (‘why cant i hit any combos today, yesterday i was doing awesome/oh geez i hope my play isnt as bad as it was yesterday, i am fucked if i am still not in the zone’ etc etc)

im no pro or anything but theres a thin line between being comfortably confident and being cocky.

i love you.

i agree with this statement. taking a break is neccessary for all things in life not just fighting games. you wouldnt not take holidays from your place of work for worry that your other colleagues might get promoted before you, that would be fucking crazyness! taking a break helps me a lot as well, even if its only a week, and if you really want to keep playing, just switch to some different characters, or a different fighting game. youll often find when you go back you have a new insight into what you should be doing with your characters, new techniques flow more easily since youve been able to break away from doing the same stuff over and over again. this way its easier to re-ignite your passion for the game again rather than pushing your anger to the point when it irreversibly destroys the game for you.