Is a lagless monitor at home necessary to prepare for playing (casuals) at offline events?

Is it possible to acclimate to the lagless setups at tourneys or is it necessary to practice on a lagless setup at home to play as you do normally. I only play online and am interested in going to events and playing offline, but I only have an HDTV. I know the lagless monitors are cheap, but i dont know that i want to add another setup, I live in a 1 bedroom apt and like to keep it simple.

Just happened to glimpse this post and considering i just bought an asus monitor after playing sfiv since vanilla, I will say it is possible to acclimate to setups at tourneys BUT you don’t want to do what I did which was practice for years and get blown up because you can’t consistently land BnBs. It’s kind of embarrassing but it wasn’t until I bought my monitor a few weeks ago that I began to see a drastic difference.

I’d highly recommend getting a monitor with a good response time and little input lag otherwise I, personally, feel like you’re wasting you’re time. Or get a crt in the meantime.

When I switched from CRT to a lagless ASUS I stopped dropping stuff as much at casuals and monthlies. That said, you should go to one of the casual sessions first and see what they play on. If it’s not lagless monitors, don’t bother. Anyway you’re used to online so you’ll probably be able to adjust to the input latency anyway.

Adjusting between online and offline play will be the biggest difference, as the game changes a bit when there’s minimal delay and it’s consistent. As far as getting a lagless TV, it’s not absolutely necessary. It’s best if you get some time to play casuals at the venue, which should give you a solid half hour to an hour worth of time to adjust yourself to the setups at the venue. If the change in timing is THAT severe, then avoid using your tight 1 or 2-frame links and stick to basics.

It’s not absolutely necessary. But if you have some cash to burn, and you want to perform at your absolute best at all times and really take this competitive thing seriously, then get a lagless setup.

As someone who has a lagless monitor and a pretty laggy plasma TV, I can say it’s definitely possible to acclimate to a new setup once you’re warmed up. However, if you don’t have experience on a lagless setup, you won’t be able to adjust as fast. So I think it’s important to at least have one lagless setup you can practice on occasionally, even if it’s just at a friend’s house.

CRTs are the most lagless monitors on the market. Switching to a “lagless” monitor would get you used to MORE lag, not less. I actually came in here to recommend that he use a crt to practice with over a big screen or whatever.

Things that you can barely react to on a lagless setup can’t be reacted to on a laggy setup. This changes a lot. If you can’t anti air on reaction, jumping is really good. If you can’t see the throw, it’s harder to tech. A fireball that could be a free ultra on a lagless setup is impossible to react to on a bad setup.

People here are focusing on combos. Dropping combos is only one effect of lag.

Thanks all for the help. I think i’m going to try to get a lagless monitor and set it up at work. There are a couple of 360s here, and i think i might be able to convince my co workers to let me set one up. I’ll continue to play online at home, but i’ll run drills at work if i’m expecting to play offline. Thanks for the advice Celerity.

@Kikuichimonji- Youre right, I was only concerned w/ getting my combos right, I didnt consider the effect on reactions. I do have trouble reacting sometimes, but i chalked it up to age and/ or not enough practice. I’ll be mindful of that, thanks.

Huh. Either way, the place where I play casuals uses all ASUS monitors, so having one at home helped me adjust. And yeah I understand there’s more to it than combos. People don’t realize how hard it is to block regularly online.

The difference between a slightly laggy setup and an Asus is much smaller than the difference between online and offline. That is what will mess you up the most.

That being said, different TVs have different amount of lag, your TV could be anywhere between two and fifteen frames different than an Asus.