Is Ibuki not good enough to get Top 8 at a Major?

Combo videos don’t generally show off practical combos.

I learned how to do that from SF3 from I think it was Hayao. Just buffer 1st 360 anywhere and you have a split second before second 360 and use that to walk forward then bam. Instant walk 720

Ibuki’s greatest weakness IMO is her complete lack of wake up options. There is just no threat to pressuring her on wake up. You just OS Safe jump her and she can only block your attacks. Since she has less health than the majority of the cast this makes it so she can’t take a lot of hits off of bad guesses.

Her Vortex is decent, but overall I don’t think her tools are quite as overwhelming as a character like Akuma’s. She is a good offensive character, but I think for her flaws her pros just aren’t quite what I would like.

Now that beings said if someone plays her almost flawlessly she can be a very devastating character.

I’m seeing a lot of this in my matches, spending nearly half the clock crouch blocking someone else’s pressure. But Vegas I know have said the same thing, and have gotten around it by just blocking until the opponent either screws up or gives up. I’m not a great player, but that strategy has worked out so far…

Now, if someone was playing her almost flawlessly it wouldn’t be an issue in the first place.

Well. you can backdash and you should be pushed out unless you made the big big mistake of backing yourself in the corner.

Ibuki has plenty of options and if you are worried that she isn’t a good enough character either make her good or go play another character.

Bucktooth is insane… wonder how he got knocked out…

Also keep in mind OP that this was a huge tournament… and… there’s a freaking Adon and Juri in the top 32.

With all the counter picking and Rufus/Bison at Evo. I have to say if your going to evo, better learn two characters that balances out Ibuki bad matchups.

Yea apparently Buk lost to Sabre (who has a really good Cody) idk if that sent him out or to losers though. I really wanted to see more of Buk’s ibuki though…see how he attacks her.

What is so bad Ibuki’s footsie game? She’s my second main and I make a habit of just walking in on my opponents.

Her anti air normals are beast.

She’s got a great range poke that hits low in cr.mk. Granted it doesn’t do much dmg but otherwise it is fantastic.

Decent sweep to punish things quickly if you can’t get close to combo or use one of her specials.

Kunai to punish over aggressive poking players.

As long as you don’t establish a rhythm she should be a monster on the ground. The real trouble comes from dudes getting in and taking advantage of her bad reversals and low health no?

She can’t play footsies very well. Hell, a good poke like Ryu’s cr.MK can outpoke her and keep her out all day. Just watch the GodsGarden ft10 Daigo vs Momochi. Just walking in on your opponents? Not going to work against good opponents. I mean cr.MP, st.MK, cr.MK, st.LP are all decent normals. But Ibuki still generally loses the footsies war. This is generally why it’s imperative that you need to turn every hit normal/poke into a knockdown.

Her aa normals are good, but the only notable one is b+MP. If unfortunately spaced, your opponent can stay out of its range and aim for Ibuki’s head on the jumpin, or even safe jump.

Kunai zoning has a bad habit of simply pushing yourself to the corner. Yeah some kunai zoning here and there may frustrate your opponent or slow down their advance but no way does it stop your opponent from playing aggressive footsies.

Sorry if I sound a little grim. Just picking out Ibuki’s weaknesses.

She can’t play footsies very well. Hell, a good poke like Ryu’s cr.MK can outpoke her and keep her out all day. Just watch the GodsGarden ft10 Daigo vs Momochi. Just walking in on your opponents? Not going to work against good opponents. I mean cr.MP, st.MK, cr.MK, st.LP are all decent normals. But Ibuki still generally loses the footsies war. This is generally why it’s imperative that you need to turn every hit normal/poke into a knockdown.

Her aa normals are good, but the only notable one is b+MP. If unfortunately spaced, your opponent can stay out of its range and aim for Ibuki’s head on the jumpin, or even safe jump.

Kunai zoning has a bad habit of simply pushing yourself to the corner. Yeah some kunai zoning here and there may frustrate your opponent or slow down their advance but no way does it stop your opponent from playing aggressive footsies.

Sorry if I sound a little grim. Just picking out Ibuki’s weaknesses.

Thats what I feel about ibuki too, even though ill never be a top player. Its like she entirely depends on the vortex for offensive and if she never gets a knockdown and gets rushed down its hard on her. It’d be nice if she had some direct offense like akuma or even adon where their special moves allow them to apply pressure and move forward. Ibuki has to trick her opponents then take advantage.

I’m standing firm on the idea that as long as the opponent is not in my face, they are playing my game. IDK I just feel comfortable being in constant motion and evasive maneuvering with her. I don’t think any one specific footsie move should ever keep you down, I don’t care what character you are or are playing against. You just got to adapt there.

I do agree she needs her vortex options to be a viable character but hey Ryu probably also needs his FADC ultra to be viable but that doesn’t stop him from having a monster footsie game no?

Ryu definitely does not need his FADC ultra to be viable. he’s balanced enough that U1 is not a crutch to his performance.

Ya Ryu doesn’t need FADC ultra to be viable. Heck, which how nerfed it was its really only good for closing out a match during a come back. I’m starting to feel as if Ibuki is a 1 trick pony. Take away the knocked down vortex and what does she have?

This thread seems all doom and gloom… Able was missing from top 8, he is pretty good last time i checked. Rog missing from top 8 and he is supposed to be one of the best. I am sure their boards are not worrying about their characters ability to make top 8. Yes Ibuki has bad matches and in most cases has to work hard, but to say that the vortex is just one trick is kind of an understatement. There are so many tricks you can do off of the vortex that we all just need a bit more time to get solid with her. that is all

I don’t believe Ryu would be very usable if he didn’t have FADC ultra as one of his tools but that’s just a throw away example. You can substitute it with ex-fire ball or Balrog headbutt>ultra.

Really I don’t think you can walk into a match with the mind set that you’re gonna have to nail a vortex or odds are you’re gonna lose. I did think like this at one point and it was probably the low point on my learning curve. Had to move back to Cammy for a while after that and unlearn the patternistic behavior.

The problem I have with her vortex is it is rather clear which option Ibuki is going for. Compared to other characters with good wake up games Ibuki is rather plain in her options. Her ground wake up options tend to be better for confusing the foe, but they aren’t as strong as her Kunai cross ups.

yep that is ONE OF ibukis major weaknesses, and by far my biggest gripe with her… i could live with the lack of HIGH PRIORITY pokes if her vortex werent so obvious…

i know i am far from he best player around so i could assume that some of my own weaknesses are being transferred to her… but in reality its MORE than just that.

ibuki lacks pokes so she lacks random damage that characters like ryu and chun, rog… damn near any arcade original character gets… vortex is supposed to make up for that… but it really doesnt, not yet anyway.

there are sill a miriad of patterns that i think we all arent using that may help ibuki win more, but in the end i feel that any new paterns are mostly going to be tricks… not stuff she can rely on to get her consistent wins.

in the end i feel that a character NEEDS a good HIGH priority poke in order to survive streetfighter…

viper has brning kicks as pokes and fuerte has splashes and run stop for zoning… to this effect ibuki has jump back kunai>forward dash>jump back kunai x n as her neutral game pattern… its only effective against overly aggressive players… anyone decent will just walk ibuki into the corner. and thats where the problems come into play… shes FORCED to footsie her way in.

luckily ibuki has ALOT of options that are open to her, unfortunately they are all pretty much ho hum. so in the end ibuki is going to have to be played COMPLETELY random to win i feel. and randomness is good, but its not tournie good nor is it consistent wins good.

in the end ibukis ability to approach is VERY lackluster cause she has terrible walk seed so walking in isnt there, which leaves dashes whch are highly reactable to if the opponent feels one coming, after that she has a floaty jump which is also very easy to react to… which leaves her with jumpin kunai… yeah that isnt very good UNLESS IT HITS other wise she is almost always at a disadvantage… and even then still needs to be ankle deep to be of benefit.

now combine tha with a vortex that is readable once the opponent knows whats up, a horrible wakeup game where if she gets her dp baited could easily have her losing 50% hp, and low stamina, stun to make that bad wakeup game even worse…

it sounds like a bunch of QQ but these are things that i realized awhile ago, ive come to grips with her shittiness in some areas and just try to play my best game and learn and throw in more stuff… cause in the end the more tricks you know with ibuki, the more you are going to win imho…
i see her being played like how jr rodriguez plays akuma, im happy with that cause i LOVE shenanigans styles of play, i’m just not into people that seem to think shes top tier yet dont use her, nor people that think shes top tier but dont have the best competition available to be able to REALLY see her weak points.

in the end i have fun using her ad thats all that really matters in the long run… i will never place top 8 with her at evo nor would i be able to do it with rufus.

so lets admit her weakness (and ours for certain people and myself) and move on to making ourselves and ibuki as good as she can be.

also, i hope im completely wrong.

-dime