Is it just me or is 2008 full of new releases?

Feels like 2005/2006 for shmups but with fighting games. It’s actually rather surprising just how much came out / is due out this year. Many of these releases are Japanese only, but there’s a good amount for the US too. (Sorry, no idea about what comes out elsewhere… :blush:)

Confirmed Releases this year or very, very likely to make it this year (also includes games that already came out this year):

Arcana Heart PS2 (US release, JP was last year)
Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus (JP PS2, like US version but has Kliff & Judgment added back in)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii (US & JP)
Arcana Heart 2 arcade (JP only, home release someday is likely)
Battle Fantasia PS3/360 (JP only so far, arcade release was last year)
Sengoku Basara X / Cross (JP PS2 and Arcade)
Soul Calibur 4 PS3/360 (US confirmed, JP date not yet yet afaik)
King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match PS2 (JP and US releases set for this year)
Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shoubu PS2/Wii (JP releases for both confirmed, US release of the Wii version is apparently confirmed but not the PS2 version…)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD 360 (release date keeps getting moved, but will be out in 2008… hopefully :rofl:)

Supposed to make it out this year, probably will:
King of Fighters XII arcade (JP only so far, home release likely but maybe not this year?)
BlazBlue arcade (JP only, home release likely but almost definitely not this year)
Fate/Unlimited Codes arcade (JP only, home release likely but who knows when)
Street Fighter IV arcade (home versions of this for the PS3/360 are all but guaranteed, but AFAIK not officially announced yet)
Tekken 6 PS3 (JP arcade release was last year, home release isn’t confirmed for 2008 but is likely, 360 port is also possible but not officially mentioned)

May or may not make it this year:
Samurai Spirits Sen arcade (JP only, home port likely someday)

Am I forgetting anything? That’s 16 games right there, btw.

So yes, there are a few re-releases or localizations in there that might not count for as much (Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus, Arcana Heart US release, Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shoubu), but there’s a -lot- of new stuff there too. Good year to play fighting games huh? :slight_smile:

lol @ 360 port of Tekken 6.

The “new” Samurai Spirits game you listed is not a new game, it’s just a collection of all 6 SS games, hence the Rokuban, which implies SIX.

Since you included crappy 3-D fighters like SC & Tekken, you cant forget MK vs DC :rolleyes:

It’s only you.

You can also count Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf Achse, Hinokakera Fragment Eclipse, Virtua Fighter 5 R, Monster Ancient Cline, Soul Calibur 1 XBLA, Melty Blood Actress Again, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics, Crusis Fatal+Fake, Windy x Windam and Million Knights Vermillion.

So yeah, 2008 is like the 90s again.

So the Japanese version is only going to have 6 whereas the US version will have all 7 2-D SS games???

Because I didn’t see any of 5 Special in the Japanese trailer…

Which would lead me to believe that the reason VSP isn’t in Japan is violence issues, not any wholesome issues. It’s still very weird, but if true- very good news to get the best game in the series.

Didn’t SNK want VSP to die with the neo-geo? Maybe they’re letting us have it 'cause it was never alive here to begin with.

You damn right:rock:

There’s actually a US arcade version of this coming out too; the US title is “Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny”.

Both the JP and US arcade versions are confirmed for 2008.

Cool, I didn’t realize that there was a US version coming too. Now if only I had an arcade anywhere nearby that had a chance in hell of getting it… :rofl:

Lots of people pointed out the MK vs DC game… I did indeed overlook that. My hopes for it aren’t exactly high, but it might be fun.

About the doujin fighters: yes, there are lots of those, but I’m very detached from the doujin scene anymore. Glad to hear there’s a bundle of em’ though, sometimes they’re a lot of fun.

Other things I forgot: SNK’s PS2 anthologies: SNK Arcade Classics 1 (although the fighters on it are all bleh), Fatal Fury Archives 2 (FF Real Bout 2 = yay), and World Heroes Anthology all came out this year too.

As far as SS Rokuban Shoubu goes - this JP games page doesn’t mention V Special being on the collection, nor does this one, but the official SNK Playmore Japan site for the game isn’t up yet. On NCS’s store, they have a picture (link) of what I’m assuming was a solicitation of some sort for the game and V Special is not on there. So… I’m guessing that’s a no.

There sure as hell are a lot of fighting games coming out this year! Makes up for years and years of FPS games and GTA clones flooding the shelves. I think that will be some beautiful fighting coming out worthy of “Game of the Year” and probably won’t get it. But either way, we’re all gonna be happy and I suppose that I will have to buy some next-gen consoles.

from evil yagami @ cyberfanatix:

However, during a previous announcement made for the game’s press release, it was pointed out that Samurai Spirits Zero Special (the sixth title in the series) was not included in the games listed in the compilation. Fortunately, website Siliconera was able to contact SNK Playmore USA to clarify this matter. The company responded saying that even if Japan does not get Samurai Spirits Zero, Samurai Shodown Anthology “will have V Special and VI for the first time in the US”.”

:rock::tup:

Fighting games are coming back around (hopefully). Plus with the release of SF IV I’d say it’s a good time to get as many fighters on the market as possible.

Lookin most foward to KOF XII though. That shit looks hot as hell.

The JP arcade version is already out. It came out in April. I think the US version should be out by now too but I don’t know if anyone cared enough to order it with all the higher-profile releases coming up.

Awesome! That’ll be a nice little bonus for US fans! :rock:

…although on a side note, V Special did get a censored arcade release here though, didn’t it? So this won’t really be “the first time” - it’ll be the first time the game comes over in non-butchered form (-hopefully-).

Wow, I didn’t realize this was out already. I don’t think I’ve heard any user reviews of it or anything… anywhere. It is indeed a lower profile game (and the old 3D SS was -awful-), but the fanboy in me still wants it to be a good game :rofl:

SFIV has certainly gotten a lot of attention for the genre… it’s been needing a little boost in recent times. Thank you Capcom. :rofl:

As I thought, looks like the US SS Collection will be the one to get.

I don’t know what it is up with the recent trend of American gamers getting more for less than the Japanese, as well as Japan’s new trend of censoring games that everyone else leaves free.
Not complaining, though.

I cant wait to give Superman’s Super nuts a smash by Johnny Cage.

Not.

I posted this elsewhere:

2008 ARCADE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)
Street Fighter IV (JPN)
Arcana Heart II (JPN)
Melty Blood: Actress Again (JPN)
Blaz Blue (JPN)
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (JPN)
King of Fighters XII (JPN)
Virtua Fighter 5 R (JPN)
Samurai Spirits Sen (JPN)
Tekken 6 (USA)

2008 CONSOLE FIGHTING GAMES (USA, JPN)
Tekken 6 (PS3)
Soul Calibur IV (PS3, 360)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
Super Street Fighter II TURBO HD Remix (PS3, 360)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core PLUS (PS2 JPN)
Arcana Heart (PS2)
Blaz Blue (PS3) *
Sengoku Basara X Cross (PS2 JPN)
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS2 JPN) *
Battle Fantasia (PS3, 360 JPN)
King of Fighters Maximum Impact Regulation A2 (PS2 JPN)
Akatsuki Denkou Senki (JPN)
UFC 2K9 (USA)
Mortal Kombat vs DC (USA)
Street Fighter Alpha (PSN) *
Samurai Showdown Collection (Wii, PS2)
King of Fighters Orochi Saga (Wii, PS2)
World Heroes Collection (PS2)
SNK Arcade Classics (PS2, PSP)

• TENTATIVE

year of the fighter yea!

You guys forgot to add Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit to your lists. But yeah, tons of fighters announced this year. And they are, for the most part, turning up epic.

EDIT: Oh, and Budokai Tenkaichi 4 was announced, too… pushed BT4 into a corner and puts a blanket over it