In the Street Fighter issues, Chun Li hasn’t won any of her fights without something happening:
- vs. “Killler Bee” - The only thing that Chun Li did to her was throw her. Cammy got in more hits and completed the mission which was to capture Chun Li’s father.
- vs. “Shadow” - Chun Li keeps attacking him yet Charlie was unfazed. With one attack, Chun Li is almost immediately defeated.
- vs. M.Bison - Both she and Guile would have perished if not for Charlie
- vs. Cammy - Cammy was giving her a beating until she was inspired by her father’s picture. And Cammy gave up after hearing “Killer Bee”
- vs. The Chinese fighters - If not for Yun and Yang, she would have lost
In her own mini series, I’ve learnt more about other characters such as Dan, Gen and even Po Lin in one issue, yet I learnt almost nothing about Chun Li that I could have in the Street Fighter issues.
From what I’ve seen in the SF comics, certain characters would have a lack of a story but are strong fighters whereas others are not good fighters but their story is well covered. However, Chun Li seems to have both of those characteristics in that she does not seem to be strong and little character development.
What do you think?