Is the fightstick really that good?

pretty much the title, i main vega and i just placed 17th out of 47 in a tournament. I was the only one with a controller there and people say that vegas really hard to use with a controller. Honestly i cant imagine myself with a fightstcik but that might be because im not used to it.

Do fight sticks really help your game that much?

I played and used Vega, he’s not all that hard on pad. They could just be jumping on the stick bandwagon or w/e. It’s definitely a nice stick though. If you’re going to make a transition to one, it’s a little weird at first (using the joystick, buttons are np) but you get used to it and it’s idk… I like using it over the controller, it’s more fun for me. But that’s me.

Does it help your game? Ehhh… I can do most things on the pad than I can do with the stick. Things I can’t do are pianoing/sliding for Honda/Gen/Chun/Blanka and stuff or buffering demons out c.mk on pad. I mean, you probably COULD, but I don’t really want to reconfig my buttons just to do that. So, maybe. But it’s definitely a fun venture. Pick one up I’d say. Just don’t freak out when you can’t DP into ultra or something on the first day. I went cold turkey, and got it all down pretty quick. You should be comfortable doing most things in a week or so, and be able to do most combos within a month atleast.

A joystick is only as good as the effort that you are willing to put into it. If you’re comfortable with the pad, and you aren’t really worried about having to possibly play in an arcade or having to play on a PS3, then I say stick with it.

This is the only reason why I bought a stick. I think you should because once you have to play on a different console you are fucked.

It takes a little time to get used to, but it is worth it.

I see where you are coming from. I main Guile and was in your shoes at one point but I made the switch and it is like night and day. There is no question that I am better with the stick that I was with a controller.That’s just like using a screw driver to put in a screw and using a butter knife to do the same thing. I can use the butter knife to do the job, but the screw driver is a tool that was specifically designed to do a certain task, and in this case that task is fighting games. Obviously the controller being the butter knife and the stick being the screw driver. (I know that was a random metaphor).If your are serious about this game and serious about getting good, which I would assume you are since you go to tourney’s, then I’d get one. It is going to take some getting used to that’s for sure, but when you finally reach that point to where you feel comfortable using it and not thinking about it, then it will be as natural as breathing. It’s worth the investment IMO and as someone pointed out already, you get out of it what you put into to it.

Yes, but there’s a bit of a learning curve for about the first month or so. Having switched to stick, I can’t conceive the notion of returning to pad.

“Gotterdammerungt: when you unbox a TE stick, there’s like a fucking earthquake and tornado that happens in your house at the same fuckin time
Gotterdammerungt: that’s how epic it is.
Gotterdammerungt: and when you get the box open, dinosaurs come crawling out and shit on your couch
Gotterdammerungt: and then when you touch the TE stick…
Gotterdammerungt: oh man…
Gotterdammerungt: fucking donkey kong sticks his hand up out of the box
Gotterdammerungt: and arm wrestles you
Gotterdammerungt: to make sure you are worthy of touching such an awesome piece of kickassery”

Should about sum it up.

I think the main thing with me going from pad to stick was the things I couldn’t do (on pad).

For me, considering all of the shit I CAN’T do on pad in comparison to all the shit I CAN do on stick makes it a bit of a no-brainer. (Note there’s nothing on pad I can’t do on stick). Wavedashing, pressing two face buttons (that aren’t adjacent) at the same time, playing any SF game without reconfiguring the controls, etc none of that was possible on pad for me.

Another benefit of playing on stick is that the difference between different types of joysticks is less than the difference between different pads (Sanwa-Happ/XBOX-PS3). I still think the difference can be enough to fuck you royally but more so w/ pad. Such things come in handy when competing in tourneys that use a different console than you own or have sticks for. If you play on Sanwa on PS3 and attend an XBOX tourney (which is really just asking for it IMO, since you knew ahead of time) there isn’t a completely terrible chance that someone will let you borrow their shit. Stuff like that comes in handy cuz the same thing on pad results in that crappy XBOX dpad.

Just my two cents

Sticks make execution much easier… but there isn’t really much execution with vega so if you’re happy with a pad just use a pad.

k thx i jus wanted to know if it was worth it, a fight stick is 100 dollars right?.. =(

Depends on the model of the stick. TE sticks are $150, SE sticks are about $60-70, and I’m not sure about the TvC stick.

When it is on sale you can get a TE stick for $100, but normally they are $130.

TvC stick is $80.

HRAP3SA is I think slightly cheaper on the norm compared to a TE with the same parts, if your buying a ps3 stick. (And I’d recommend HRAP3SA over the TE almost anyday.)

So really, cost here almost takes a backseat to form factor, weight and preference of what you like best.

IMO, the switch from stick to pad is a good switch, slightly costly, but it’s an investment in a hobby you get a lot of enjoyment out of.

I think he means pad to stick, but yes he is right.

Just know when you first get your stick, you are going to fucking hate it. It’s inevitable. You’ll think you wasted your money and that you fucked yourself over. This is normal. Just stick with it, practice everything you can think(LEARN DASHES EARLY), and don’t give up.

Just answer this for yourself:
A. is it worth buying a stick?
B. Do I want to put in the effort to re-learn everything?

ad A. I’ve spend a couple of hundred hours in SF4 and even with the additional cost of a TE stick the price per hour was way cheaper than any cd/dvd or game I’ve bought in the last year. So why not then?
ad B. You’ve already had a long learning curve getting to the point where you are now with a pad. Will you be playing fighting games long enough to relearn all your skills with a stick. It won’t be easy to make a switch. In fact, it’ll be frustrating to see you’ll lose matches you could’ve easily won with your pad. Is it worth that?

Will you be better once you know your way around a stick. Who knows, but you can be sure your moves will come out more smooith. Your skills depend mostly on mental stuff a stick or a pad is just a tool.

Personally I like the TE better than my HRAP3 (not an SA though), but I have found for older games (Alpha Series, 3rd Strike) and MAME the PS3 TE doesn’t always get recognized but my HRAP3 does. I ended up swapping in some appropriately sized Sanwa buttons and now there is no discernable play difference between the 2.

I recently switched from pad to stick and yeah i can do certain things i used to not be able do, but I still can’t get down qcf/qcbx2 motions at all. You really do have to relearn everything. On the bright side i can plink things now. I went from hitting sakuras BnB tatsu links about 60% of the time to 100%. If you are willing to relearn some of the basic things (It took me an entire day to even c.mkxfireball) you will find a whole new array of things you can do that you wouldn’t even fathom doing on a pad.

Another nice thing about being able to play on an arcade stick is that it means you can play on the other console/arcade if you want. If you’re only used to playing on a PS controller, trying to pick up the game on 360 pad is going to be just about as alien as playing on a stick.

If you can play on a stick, you can play on (just about) any stick.

Plus the clicky sound the buttons make is cool.

To the OP- Yes, really, they are that good. There are a bunch of things at a very high level in fighting games that you just won’t be able to pull off with the kind of consistency you need to be competitive against the best of the best. Pianoing reversals, charge partitioning, some of the more difficult and complex combos and super cancels in several different games, stuff like this will always cause you more problems on a pad, so stick is better if you’re ever going to get your game to that level, but to balance that out, you should ask yourself a few questions:

How long have you been playing fighting games with a pad? If it’s 6 months, then by all means pick up a stick and go back to basics and re-learn how to play, the most you’ll set yourself back by is 6 months. If it’s 15 years or more (like me) then you’ll probably have a bigger decision and more to lose by switching your game to a stick, and a lot further to go to get yourself back to where you were and start seeing improvements that you wouldn’t have had otherwise.

It really comes down to personal preference. I play on both pad and stick, but realistically speaking, i am just better on a pad from years and years of battling on consoles all the way back to the SNES, and i just can’t cut it at the same level on a stick, purely because i’ve gotten so used to a pad and pushed my technique as far as it can go on it that it’s like instinct for me to use one. I could get to the same place with a stick, but it would probably take me another 10-15 years, and i just don’t want to set my game back my that much, and by then there probably wouldn’t be anybody playing my fave games anyway…

If you feel that what you stand to gain by learning a stick would be worth whatever setback time it would take you to get your game back to where it was, and that there would still be people playing your fave game by the time you’ve done it, then go for it, and if you don’t, then don’t, but i’d hazard a guess that as you’re posting in the noobie section, you’ve probably not been playing too long, you probably don’t have too much to lose by comparison with a lot of more experienced players, and you would more than likely be doing your game a big favour in the long term by switching to a good quality stick if you’re serious about improving.

It really is down to personal preference though, so good luck with it!