Is Xirtam a crackpot or am I? (Throwing in tournaments)

Someone just challenged and played me on hyperfighting Online. My Ken defeated his 4-1 and he nastily quit on me. He had been complaining about my throws and asserting that my play was garbage. He then claimed that killing someone with a throw is not allowed in tournaments and went so far as mentionning Shoryuken.com!

I was shocked as I thought it was commonly viewed that throws were ok in all fighting games. I have told this Xirtam person to come to the forums and ask this question so maybe he will pop up. And his Ken is actually very good. We had some great matches.

So…have I been playing the wrong way all this time?

Apologies if this has been asked a billion times. Several searches for “cheap” in the topic yielded no useful results. (IE: hyperfighting related)

omg, if its in the game, its in the game. its not a glitch, its intentional. just call him a scrub. throwing is a part of the game. if he hates throws that much, tell him to play KI or something since it has no throws. seriously, only scrubby players complain about throws and add em to house rules…

SRK would tell you to throw him more, until he commits E suicide.

Sabre pretty much summed up all you need to know, but if you want an in-depht answer, read this often posted article. It has throwing as an example too!

Lawls. He just sucks. Don’t listen.

Seconded, also send him the link to this thread so he can post here and then we can make fun of him.

For us old schoolers, this would resemble a typical I@I.com discussion from way back in the alt.games.sf2 days. :looney:

Let me guess, he must’ve thought of this in his head while posting the throw sentence: “I only throw if the other player throws. Throwing is a form of being a lower person than your “skills”. Throwing is a way of cheesing in victories fast as it means being a big man when you’re clearly not.” I’m just gonna say, why is this man acting like a J-J-J-Johnson?" :rofl:

in SF2, throw is the key to victory.

throw till he learns to reversal, then bait reversals and throw him some more

"Let me guess, he must’ve thought of this in his head while posting the throw sentence: “I only throw if the other player throws. Throwing is a form of being a lower person than your “skills”. Throwing is a way of cheesing in victories fast as it means being a big man when you’re clearly not.”

Oh my God, my cousin used to say the EXACT same thing about the down moves in Virtua Fighter 4. I’m not surprised that its the same attitude, I mean the EXACT same words, i.e. I could substitue “down attack” for “throw.” How about that…

Unless your opponent is using reversal throw for his reversal. Then it’s not so easy to bait and punish.

HOW DARE YOU NOT PLAY WITH HONOR!!1!!

:rofl:

If the guy is calling throw cheap I doubt he’d be thinking of that option. =p

If the guy is calling throw cheap I play R4 Zangief.

YES

thread needs more Gief

Rage Gief one SPD = death

No, YOU STAY OUT OF THIS SAOTOME.

Punish reversal throw with meaty shoryuken~

If this is true, this is what you do.

Have sex with his mother, then call him a ‘honkey’