I guess I will get straight to the point.
Dudley will never win tournament if he is your only character.
Let’s face it, we all love using him. We all love showing off our combos, and we love our anti-projectiles strategies. But when it’s all set an done, Dudley is similar to Dan. He will not win a tournament without having a secondary.
So I guess I am posting this to let go of some of the built in frustrations I have with him.
First off, he has no footsies game. If he gets zoned out by a really good player, he loses easily.
Another thing, people say that "Oh once you get in on them, it’s over. It’s in your favor. Wrong. When facing a good player, once you get in on them, a couple of things happen.
- They block your overhead, you eat a grab.
- You start a blockstring, and attempt to continue it with an empty duck. Which then leads you to eating a grab.
- You try a frame trap with Forward MK, guess what? You eat a grab.
- You attempt a blockstring with LP, LP, MP, Low Ducking Uppercut, you eat a jab+combo, since its unsafe on block.
- You attempt the same thing as #4 only instead do Low Ducking Straight, still unsafe, you eat a combo.
- His wakeup game is atrocious if you don’t have 3 bars to ex upper, fadc.
- Most people know his tricks by now. JAB JAB HK, EMPTY DUCK, GRAB. Gets teched, but they don’t even need to tech, they can simply jab you out of it.
- The only safe move I found that Dudley has is blockstring, into LP MGB. But then all the opponent has to do after that is backdash, and your back in square one, the zoning game.
My point an case I am trying to make it, if you want to get serious with SSF4 the game, Dudley shouldn’t be your main.
I talked to a couple of top players as Chinatown Fair, and they all seem to agree that a secondary or a new main is required.
One even compared Dudley and other low tier characters to Dan.
Now with that said, I will give him another go at a local tourny this wednesday. But to be honest, its always an uphill battle for Dudley. Whether he faces Bison that easy gets your pressured with Scissor kicks, and if you even attempt to press button you will get counter hit, forcing you to sit and block, or the likes of chun li where she will out poke you all day as if your dudley is a smaller version of zangief.
I will be switching over to a new character shortly…
Anyways, just my 2 cents.