i’ve seen a ton of threads on this board, regarding the difference between American and Japanese sticks, and which ones they should buy.
well, i hope this can get stickied, so there will be no need for those “what kind of stick is best for me” threads.
- large black bat top
- square (competition) or 360 (circular) gates
- stiffer, compared to Japanese sticks
- found in most arcades in the US
- looks like this - http://www.happcontrols.com/images/50/50608350_color.jpg
- smaller ball tops / bat tops
- square / octagonal gates
- shorter shaft, and smaller gates
- looser, compared to american sticks
- looks like this - http://home.netvigator.com/~cosmicco/Joystick/JoystickSanwaJLF-TP-8Y.JPG
for those who are wondering “which one’s better, and which one should i buy?”, there is no definite answer to that question. some prefer American sticks, while others prefer Japanese sticks. your best option is to go down to your local arcade, play a few games on both sticks, and see which one is best for you. most arcades in the US carry american style sticks, so there shouldn’t be a problem there. Tekken 5 cabs carry Sanwa sticks, so don’t hesitate to try one out.
try both sticks out, and go for whichever one you’re most comfortable with.
me and most of my buddies prefer Sanwa sticks.
i can get in to the differences between Sanwa/Seimitsu/Fanta and so on… but i think ill leave that for another day.