Jumping in without getting anti aired. Help

I’m an Akuma main, and i’m well aware of the vortex. Personally I feel like I am at my most dangerous (well one of my most dangerous) when I am point blank at my opponent pressuring him with blockstrings which can then lead into frame traps or tick throws.

However I feel rather limited only being able to get into this range on my opponents wakeup (untech wakeup).

If I randomly attempt to jump more often than not i’m anti aired. However i’ve noticed if you can get an opponent to commit to an attack, this is the perfect time to try for an aerial attack. But I can only seem to get this to work somewhat effectively if my enemy uses a fireball.

Are there any tactics I can use to get my enemy to commit to a melee attack, which I can then avoid being hit with and counter with an aerial attack?

I’ve been watching some videos of pros playing, and noticed this happening fairly frequently. But i’m assuming there is some thought behind it and they don’t just randomly jump at their opponent, or they would get Anti Aired every single time.

Any advice?

Stop jumping, or trying so hard to score a jump in. What most people don’t realize is that scoring plain jump ins against good players in Street Fighter requires advanced strategy. Worry about stuff like that once you’ve got a strong ground game (this is probably gonna fall on deaf ears but trust me). The reason you see so many people land jumpins online is because most of them are lousy players playing against equally lousy players.

Now that that’s out of the way:

Ground-to-air footsies. You need to watch your opponent’s poking/sweeping habits carefully. Basically you bait a poke by whiffing a move, and when they try to counter-poke, you jump in. Or, you do a move that’s safe on block but it looks like it’s not (usually a meaty), and jump when they try to punish or counter. Definitely do not abuse this tactic. Good players will punish you hard.

You can also try to score a knockdown using an ambiguous cross-up after a blockstring. I don’t know what the spacing with Akuma is (with Ryu can you do it after two blocked cr.mp’s at medium range), but basically the idea is that if you do a normal jumping attack from that range it hits in front, but if you do an air tatsu it hits at the back. Both lead into untechable knockdowns if the opponents blocks the wrong way.

Akuma doesn’t really need to jump in on a standing opponent anyway though. He’s got great footsies and an awesome focus attack. Try walking towards your opponent until the max range of where their main poke will connect, then do a focus attack. If they try to poke it will whiff because he takes a slight step back when he does a FA, then you can just release for the crumple. Against characters who can’t easily buffer into special moves, you can walk either closer to absorb the poke then release. This is also not a tactic you can abuse though (use it as part of your footsies game), but in general it’s better than jumping in. He can also use stuff like ambiguous demon kicks, palms and throws. Akuma doesn’t really use standard jump ins all that much.

Thanks, I recently started working on my footsies this morning and I beat a Ryu I feel I would have otherwise lost to (I have a pretty poor vortex game), oh and focus attack through hadoukens into sweep was my saviour lol.

Maybe it’s because I haven’t played in a while but I’m pretty sure that Ryu’s air Tatsu leads into a techable knockdown.

I was referring to Akuma’s (who the OP mains) Tatsu. He can combo into sweep.

I used to play with this top player. Now retired. I used to ask him his advice on jumping since I used to have a big problem with it. So i’ll tell you what he told me.

Ask yourself, Why am I jumping?
If you’re jumping just because. Don’t jump. If you’re jumping delibrately and hoping to score a direct jump in. Don’t jump. Try not to think of jumping as an offensive menuver. Instead, think of jumping as you relinqushing complete control of your arcade stick allowing your opponent to hit you freely and think, will his attack hit me easily?

I know that sounds all Tai Chi Master but when I incorporated that into my game it somehow helped me a ton.

The only times I jump is if I know my opponents anti air options and the distances they can hit me at, If they dont anti air anyways and if I guess correctly that there going to use a poke and I captitalize on it…

Instead of jumping in you can mix up fwd dashes, short dive kicks and st.RH pressure. Add in an unpredictable fireball game both from the air and ground (mix in a few of the double/triple hit non-EX fireballs) to help cover your advance and keep the opponent on their toes.

I tend to go for a sweep to finish my akuma combos whenever possible (as opposed to the cr.lk - lk tatsu - SRK).

As long as you don’t just keep jumping as an offensive maneuver, practice safe-jumping, option-selects and making a reversal come out on the wrong side , eg. crossup tatsu.

A thread like this would have been really helpful for me when I first started playing fighting games. Most newbs(including myself) get stuck in this mindset that jumping is always the most effective way to attack your opponent.

I’m actually stuck in the mindset that jumping is the most effective way to get close to an opponent. -_-

in my opinion as a player from way back, street fighter 4 is the easiest fighting game to jump forward blindly in. AA moves like flashkick and others are dumbed down to where some shit they trade with or wont beat at all. from playin sf2, or any fighting game with guile, if you jump in on my down charge, you get flash kicked. period.

even pre-4, alot of new/casual/scrub players couldnt break the mental barrier that has always been their weak spot. the mindset that “jumping forward is the best way to get in and start offensive pressure”. people always used to ask me in ST, “what am i doing wrong?” and 99% of the time my answer was always the same, your jumpin too much. you can explain it to them 100 ways but when it comes down to it they just always jump. to advance forward to create the situations you can counter or gamble on you need to have serious patients, and by jumping, your saying to yourself “im out of options”. you are also telling me i can take advantage of you by turtling.

Now, in SF4, with all the shortcuts and scrub/new friendly stuff, they have also made it alot easier to jump forward, ALOT easier. safe jumping used to be something you actually had to learn how to do with strict timing and you wouldnt even see it very often cuz it would get played out real fast. countering a ground AA move from the air is brainless now as well. every characters special moves and knockdowns in sf4 put them directly in safe jump or cross up range or worse. basically its crazy not to jump alot in sf4. Example - rose air lk will randomly trade/beat a lk flashkick (btw - all this scrub friendly junk hurts sf4 really bad, but thats another conversation)

the point, dont fall for the jump is best on paper scenarios, jump (forward) as little as possible in a match. your basically only jumping in response to a pattern you have spotted. odds are the dude your playing that is beating you is just waiting for you to jump, and winning the battle in between.

Just get time under your belt, you’re still too green to worry about advanced stuff.

This is a noob forum. not being rude, but your question shows that you know quite a fair amount about the game (vortex strategy,block trings, frame traps, etc.) Try posting it in the Akuma threads and I’m sure you’ll get a better answer. But I can tell you that from my own limited knowledge; Jump ins with Akuma are made a bit safer if you buffer your landing with a lp air gohadoken (or whatever his fireball is called). That means that even if your apponent tries to anti-air you, he’ll probably eat the fireball and at least trade hits if nothing else. Other than that, it’s a matter of just not being predictable. Good luck!

It’s always a bad trade.

Akuma’s jump has 36 airborne frames. Unless the opponent is in the middle of an attack, it’s more than enough time for a good player to react to it and punish.