Jumping Physics data (and jump altering moves) for every character

Ok, this thread will contain the data for every character’s jump. I have not completed this list yet though and I wanted to post the partial list I’ve done and get feedback on the layout and try to fix any areas that could lead to confusion.

First off let me lay out how everything works, there is actually A LOT more variation in jumping than people realize beyond just “floaty” jumps that seem to fall slower or jumps that go farther.

I’m giving the data in several separate ways:

[LIST]
[]Pre-Jump Frames - This is the number of frames of animation before the character is actually airborne. Some interesting notes about pre-jump frames
[/LIST]
[LIST=1]
[
]For the most part pre-jump frame timing is universally the same for every character at 2F except in the case of grapplers. I wont bother listing every characters pre-jump frames, I’ll only list the exceptions.
[]Pre-Jump frames are throw invincible! I’m sure many more advanced players already know this though, but while you can be hit during your pre-jump frames and still be considered “grounded” and receive a full combo, you cannot be thrown.
[
]Pre-jump frames can be canceled into any special move, super, ultra, or focus attack. However pre-jump frames cannot be canceled into normals, command normals, or non-command throws.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[]Airborne Frames - This data is how many frames a character is considered in the air, this is starting on frame zero after the pre-jump animation is over.
[
]Horizontal and Vertical Velocity - This data represents the speed at which a character moves. This is key for understanding the jump. However there is one other key aspect…
[*]Gravity (AKA Acceleration) - I labeled this Gravity rather than Acceleration to help with confusion. In every case unless noted, the acceleration occurs on the Y axis aka up and down and is a negative value (E.G. Deceleration) so rather than confuse people too much I’ll simplify it. The “Gravity” value is simply how much your character is being pulled back to the ground. Higher value gravity will give you a shorter jump height and faster fall speed. However if you have a high horizontal velocity you can still have a high or normal jump height but you’ll still fall faster once you reach the peak of your jump.
[/LIST]
**Note if this still confuses you check out these links: **
http://astronomyonline.org/Science/VelocityAcceleration.asp
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/kinema/avd.cfm

I’ve gone ahead and split the data for each character into 3 sections: Neutral jump, Forward Jump, and Backwards jump. If a character has a way to alter their jump arc (say a divekick or wall jump) That is presented in a section after their normal jump data and labeled as such.

Abel

Spoiler

[INDENT=1]Neutral[/INDENT]
Airborne State Frames: 38
Horizontal Speed: 0
Vertical Speed: 0.2
Gravity: 0.012
[INDENT=1]Forward[/INDENT]
Airborne State Frames: 36
Horizontal Speed: 0.06
[INDENT=1]Backward[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.055

Adon

[details=Spoiler]
Vertical Speed: 0.22
Gravity: 0.014
Airborne State Frames: 35
Horizontal Speed: 0.05
Gravity: 0.14

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[INDENT=1]Airborne Jaguar Kick[/INDENT]
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[INDENT=1]LK[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.04
Vertical Speed: 0.1
Gravity 0.014
Height Restriction: 0.35
[INDENT=1]MK[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.07
[INDENT=1]HK[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.09
[INDENT=1]EX (Note there is 2 hits with dif data, only listing the first since 2nd is only a small change)[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.15
Gravity: 0.015
Height Restriction: 0.25[/details]

Balrog (Boxer)

Spoiler

Vertical Speed: 0.165
Gravity: 0.01
Horizontal Speed: 0.045
Horizontal Speed: 0.035

Blanka

Spoiler

Vertical Speed: 0.24

Cammy

[details=Spoiler]
Cannon Strike
[INDENT=1]LK[/INDENT]
Vertical Speed: -0.05
Height Restriction: 1.2
[INDENT=1]MK[/INDENT]
Horizontal Speed: 0.07
Height Restriction 1.2
[INDENT=1]HK[/INDENT]
Height Restriction: 1.2
[INDENT=1]EX[/INDENT]
Height Restriction: 0[/details]

Cody

Spoiler

Chun Li

Spoiler

Vertical Speed: 0.21
Gravity: 0.011
Wall Jump
Vertical Speed: 0.15
Gravity: 0.009

C. Viper

Spoiler

Super Jump
Horizontal Speed: 0.08
Air Burn Kick
((((((((((still exploring))))))))))

Dan

Spoiler

Air Dankukyaku
(((((((((Still Exploring))))))))))))))

Rufus

Spoiler

Vertical Speed: 0.19
Gravity: 0.0105
DIVE KICK (Falcon Kick)
(Note: Neutral Jump uses the forward jump physics data)
Horizontal Speed: 0.13
Vertical Speed: -0.1
Height Restriction: 0
Horizontal Speed: -0.01
Vertical Speed: -0.1
Height Restriction: 0

Ok I’m working on getting more stuff written up.

If anyone wants to help, it’d be super handy to have pictures of each character at the peak of their jumps, and before / after pictures to show the distance for their forward and backward jumps. Another helpful thing would be if someone wanted to go ahead and do the math to show at what frame each character would be at the peak of their jump that would be cool.

Feedback encouraged! (Hope this data is actually helpful and also will hopefully squash some of the “so and so has a floaty jump” arguments as well as give a greater understanding of the jumping game such as why certain characters are harder to anti air than other beyond just the hitboxes on the moves.

Edit update: Added Chun-Li, C. Viper (partial), and Dan (partial)
I’m currently still exploring exactly how the physics work with Dankicks, Makoto’s axe kick, and Viper’s air burn kick. The moves all are effected by your current momentum to some extent and all handle it differently.

Calgary Thread 2012

///////////////Reserved in case OP becomes full////////////////////

Hmmm… I remember testing pre-jump cancels a while back. Basically I did Gief’s cr.mk into U1 vs Blanka. I held up-back with Blanka and during the Ultra flash you can see him going into pre-jump which means he can’t be grabbed. Then I cancelled into U1 after the flash for a full punish. You can also cancel into electricity but I found that it wasn’t very consistent. However, I was never able to cancel into Focus Attack. Maybe my timing was just off I guess.

I was just thinking this as I read OP, thanks for confirming its viability. Gonna have to play with this in Training (I main Guile).
Cheers dude.

Viper can cancel her super-jump pre-jump frames into focus. AFAIK, no one else can do this, regular jump or not.

Pretty sure most characters are considered grounded for 4 frames before they’re considered in the air, with Sim, Hakan, Gief, and T.Hawk being the exceptions.

Here is exactly how it works according to the game files:

You have a 12frame animation for every character (listed as STAND2JUMP or STAND2JUMP_F or STAND2JUMP_B) that animation is being run with a 6x multiplier for the entire duration. After that it runs a new animation of “JUMP” or “JUMP_F” or “JUMP_B” which contains all of the physics data for the jump and the animation data. Unless my math is incorrect 12F run at 600% speed would be 2F (12/6 = 2).

As for the cancel stuff, the prejump animation (STAND2JUMP) can be canceled to a set of moves under the list “jump_in” that list contains the moves I listed (all special moves, supers, ultras, and focus attack)

What is interesting is that while other than the grapplers, Sim is the only character that doesn’t have a 12F animation for his pre-jump, his is actually 15F animation run at 7.5 speed which is still 2F but it is odd that it is different in the first place.

Now the thing to keep in mind is input lag, display lag, ect. This data is how the game interprets the inputs AFTER they receive them. That means that this is post-input delay (So since all the systems have input delay, take what is listed and add however many frames of input delay there is for the respective system) and pre-display delay.

///////

Edit: Also about Viper’s super jump, the thing is that Viper’s super jump has 4.3F pre-jump (I’m not sure but I believe that the game rounds up but I could be wrong) either way it is more than twice the number of pre-jump frames as anyone but a grappler.

What is interesting about Viper and Ibuki is that their pre-jump animation has an additional cancel list of “HI_JUMP” (which only includes the moves "HIGH Jump V B and F. No specials or anything else contained in the JUMP_IN cancel list) on top of the “JUMP_IN” cancel list. I suspect that this means that when you high jump the game is actually canceling your normal jump into the high jump, I will do some testing on this.

That said Viper uses the same JUMP_IN cancel list for both her high jump and normal jump meaning that any move she can cancel her pre-super jump frames into is a move she or anyone else could cancel their normal pre-jump frames into. Ibuki however has a unique cancel list specifically for her super jump (Listed as HI_JUMP_IN).

Anyways I’ll list all this when I get to their spots when compiling the data.

I was playing around a bit with this last night. For the most part, yeah, whatever is being widely spread by the Wiki and Eventhubs is wrong, outdated, or not completed. The four grounded frames thing appears to be true though.

Spoiler

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/2.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/3.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/4.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/5.jpg

Basically, don’t trust Ono completely until you run it through the game yourself.

I guess it depends on what you consider pre-jump. Is there any way to determine if the characters are actually considered off the ground (i.e. if they were hit they would reset in the air), independent of the animation?

You can see the pre-jump frames in the hitbox vids. Most characters are clearly unthrowable for 4 frames when they start jumping, and their hurtbox shifts to an airborne hurtbox on the 5th frame. Also, the frame data mook lists the pre-jump duration as 4 frames.

Did my own testing, he is actually considered airborne before his feet leave the ground. Just because the animation doesn’t show him off the ground yet, doesn’t mean he isn’t jumping. The jump animation starts while he is still touching the ground.

Here is something that might help convince you:

http://biffotasty.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/true-standing-7-hakan-edition.html <-- Desk’s blog

5F after pressing UP for Gief and T-Hawk.

Ono tool data for gief and thawk -

STAND2JUMP = 20F animation run at 4x speed. 20/4 = 5F

Well, figure out what your testing is doing wrong then. Could be like my problem, where your media player decides that you want to skip forward two frames instead of one. Or decides to skip three frames out of the blue. Or maybe 800 frames! yes mpc i clearly click frame step four times slowly so i must want to fast forward :mad:

Spoiler

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/1-1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/2-1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/3-1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/4-1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/5-1.jpg

(note he is saying 5F including the act of pressing up, if you read the previous quote I gave he points out that it is 1 less frame after pressing up than is considered “pre jump” because the game has to read your input of UP first before initiating the actual jump.

Hakan stand2jump data = 12F animation run at 3x speed
12/3 = 4F
4F+1F for the UP input = 5F

Ono matches up with Desk yet again!

I’m more inclined to agree with a tool that is reading the actual data used in the game, and a player who basically is known exclusively for breaking down the game mathematically and performing combos that sometimes require canceling a move 1F later during the active period for it to combo or multiple unplinkable 1F links back to back.

Yes, an incomplete program and some guy who doesn’t work for Capcom with high execution clearly have more say about what’s going on in the game than the game itself. Can you count? Color blind, maybe? Spoiler tags don’t work for you, perhaps?

Spoiler

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME1.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME2.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME3.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME4.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME5.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/corruptstaffmember/FRAME6.jpg

So much for contributing. I’m inclined to agree with Shin that you are an idiot and will be added to my ignore list.

Rather than continue with this pointless penis measuring, I’m going to just move on.

I’ve added the data for Chun Li, Viper, and Dan.

I opted to leave out the data for Chun Li’s stomps because that only takes effect once the move actually connects (hit or block). Just doing the stomps themselves does not effect your jump arc if they whiff.

Perhaps there are two states of pre-jump frames? ie. 4 in total, 2 where you can cancel into another move, 2 where you can’t.

Yeah, there’s a discrepancy somewhere, but I’m not sure where. What is the duration of Bison’s jump? His safe jump setups all have worked correctly with frame 44 being his last airborne frame, meaning 4 pre-jump and 40 jump frames.

I’m actually going to remove the airborne frame data, I realized I had forgotten one thing about the way the game reads the data for states.

Any existing state (counterhit/airborne/stand/crouch/ect) will continue to exist until it is specifically removed. For example, dan’s crouching light punch reads like this: 0-4F (Crouching, Counterhit) 4-25F (Crouching)

A characters current “state” is the total sum of all options listed. Rather than a sort of “on/off” check box for each option for each possible state a character could be in.

So for a character listed as “Airborne” during a jump, that only covers the actual animation of the jump. So some characters animation data (for example M. Bison) is only a certain number of frames long but they are in the air longer than that. So until they reach the ground (and perform the JUMP2STAND animation which changes their state) the game considers them airborne. Thus while M. Bison has a 36F airborne animation his actual time in the air slightly longer.

As for pre-jump frame stuff, lets just move on. This was more about jump arcs and heights and ability to modify them.

i normally don’t bother to post, nor am i taking sides per se but there is “pointless penis measuring” and then there is straight up misinformation. i hate to be the guy telling you this but civic duty has been on a lot of people’s minds lately so

[S]just looking at the first post, chun-li’s listed jump duration is listed at 36/35 frames. does this not raise a flag? how does a jump as floaty as chun’s have the same duration as ryu’s jump? and before you throw your numbers at me, have you confirmed the data empirically? can you hold the up direction for 1p and 2p and give me evidence that ryu and chun’s jumps won’t go out of phase?[/S] edit: didn’t see the post about me. I think the rest still applies though

you haven’t refuted the 4 frames of pre-jump argument either. and even if that weren’t true (!), safe jump setups by definition take into account the number of hard knd frames. some people do figure these out programmatically; for example if i have N knockdown frames after this throw, my forward dash and low strong last X and Y frames and my jump attack is guaranteed to be active until the last airborne frame Z after jumping, and X+Y+Z=N-2 (for example), i have a safe jump. if Z was wrong all this time, where is the discrepancy?

this isn’t the only silly example (or i wouldn’t be popping off). let me paraphrase another argument: ‘DPs are not a great frame trap tool.’ it’s true DPs are expensive; it’s true you can only do it once or twice. but what does the threat of DP FADC let you do? let’s say i’m ryu, you block my c.mp, i do another c.mp 2 frames later. unfortunately your low short is 5 frames, but years of getting counterhit because you read on srk 2 years ago that crouch tech beats everything have made you used to late teching. so you tech on the 7th frame, block the 2nd c.mp and everything is cool

but I know you’re scared of early tech/stand throw, so the next time you block a c.mp, I walk forward six frames and then dp you. you can’t tech right out of blockstun (you’re -2), but even if you tech as late as frame 8, you eat dp fadc u1 + oki for your troubles. is the ability to increase the bad tech window by the duration of your opponent’s low short not useful or good all of a sudden?

obv I’m oversimplifying the situation but this is such an intuitive and practical concept (and the application of hypothetical numbers equally ridiculous) that i’m not sure how you could ignore it. i don’t main a frame-trap character and i know this. have you never seen situations where, say, sagat c.lk’s you, walks up a 1/3 of a second, and then dp’s you? or you block a couple of c.lk’s, sagat dashes (!) and you’re thinking/unconsciously reacting OH SHIT HE’S RIGHT NEXT TO ME I BETTER CROUCH TECH OR OTHERWISE PRESS A BUTTON but when you do react sagat is already dp’ing you?

or saying ryu’s sweep is technically safer than bison’s sweep? then I can say bison’s sweep is technically the most unsafe sweep because it is technically the sweep with the most horizontal distance.

or saying ‘numbers don’t lie I have em right here’ when none of us have an appreciation for how the code actually uses those numbers? would you go through the effort to run a debugger, find the location in ram where it says ‘I am airborne’ or ‘I am grounded’, and track changes in that value frame-by-frame? or would you point at numbers and wave your hands and exclaim IT IS WRITTEN and dismiss further arguments? if in the code you saw x = x + y; would every possibility occur to you?

a person who writes code and doesn’t test it is worse than a person who doesn’t write code in the first place. if i saw your numbers for jump frames, tested it in practice and found everything was whiffing, and those numbers turned out to be wrong, would the people using those numbers not be annoyed?

i am not against data and hard numbers. i have nothing personal against you either. i am against untested/unexplainable theories. please, PLEASE, verify your information and try to see the big picture beforehand