Juri: Pad Vs. Stick

juri

Alright, so I’m brand new to this forum, so my apologies if this thread pops up every five seconds, and what not. I looked through the stickies, and I don’t believe I’ve seen one that addressed this.

As the title indicates, I’m wondering which control style you guys use when playing Juri; Pad or Stick? Also, what button configuration do you feel is best for this character? I decided I was going to use Juri, until I get good enough to tackle C. Viper, and so now I’m switching to the stick along with her, and naturally I’m having some trouble adapting, I’m still getting used to it. So thanks for any help or anything…

Bye?

After completing all 24 trials for Juri under challenge mode, I feel fairly comfortable with a stick for a beginner. I suggest you try that?

i use a pad for juri and i think shes very playable with one.

Stick all the way for me. Much more comfortable to hold fireballs. Also I havnt had much to any playtime with a pad Juri so I’m just being one sided since I use stick.

Stick. I’ve never heard of anyone going back to pads after getting accustomed to using a stick.

<

I only use Juri on stick and everyone else on pad. But then again, I’ve only been playing her on stick for about 3 weeks now =P

**I only play with Pads, however when I get my parts in I plan on trying out a stick and practicing for a bit.

So i’ll let you know in THE FUTURE.**

Hmm, I don’t have a stick but when I think of it, it wouldn’t be much easier to use a stick over a pad, sure, you can hold 3 fb’s easily but holding 3 fb’s isn’t very practical as it locks down your FA, and all of your kicks, as well as your throw, and even when holding 3 on a stick it’s still awkward to press punch buttons. Whereas, on a pad, if you customize the buttons, it’s easy to hold 2 (or even 3… if you desire) fb’s. However that’s just one thing, stick execution is superior but a pad isn’t bad for Juri, note: Correct me if I’m wrong. D:

I think I’ve made a decision, though I can be very mercurial.
I’m going to man up and learn the friggen stick.
I’m starting her trials now, as Ulevo recommended.

So do you guys simply use the basic A style control config?

its possible to play juri on pad. but i feel, it’s better to play juri on stick. but it can be done on pad. but i don’t see how anyone can do triple release combos on pad without destroying the regular layout lol.

For online play it seems using pad (360 controller actually) is much easier to pull out qc moves than using a stick for me. Maybe it’s because my connection is not good and I got quite a few input drops. I have to make some pretty wired button setup for fireball store/release but it’s still manageable.

I have deabted about using a PS3 pad specifically for Juri because there are multiple things I would consider to be easier on pad versus a stick and there’s a lot of deceptive things you can do on a pad when playing against live people.

In general a joystick is better because of double tapping and p-linking for combos and it’s coming in handy with the discovery of a 2f crouch tech (press jab, the p-link strong+short). On top of that doing TK motions for her TK/Instant Dive Kick is easier on a stick, imo. However, that being said in Juri’s case I think she’s very much doable on a pad. With pad it’s easier hit confirming into Pinwheels as well as super cancelling off of a pinwheel because it’s a roll of a thumb versus moving your arm/wrist to do the motions. No matter what it’s just way quicker to do a QCB motions on a pad then it is on a stick so just as an example, during your footsie game it would be much easier doing those c.forward buffers into pinwheelxxsuper cancels. Storing fireballs is probably a little less awkward on a pad depending on the button configurations. With default button configs on a PS3 pad it’s not hard storing multiple fireballs and releasing them for zoning. Releasing them during combos maybe a bit awkward though. Also, your buttons are silent when pressing them so your opponent can’t really react to your actions by sound in a live setting so if your opponent attempts to screw around with your crouch teching by sound they can’t. There’s a lot of subtle things you can do on pad that will mask your attempts on an opponent in a live setting that you just can’t do on a stick. It’s only a minor psychological advantage but an advantage nonetheless. Juri also doesn’t have any 1f combos or anything that’s execution heavy that requires a stick, imo, so she is quite playable on pad. The main reasons I will stay with stick for Juri is because of familiarity, double tapping, p-linking, and just defensive options that are better on a stick then on pad.

After selling my 1st TE a while ago (got pissed that I couldn’t pull off anything - been playing fighters for like… 15 years now?) and buying another one when it was on sale… after about a month and a half I feel like I can pull off anything… and better than when I used a pad (Dual Shock). I’d never go back!

And Juri (new main!) is definitely a character custom-tailored for stick-play. :wink:

Pad playing is very possible but FSE without a stick would be a pain… same with Fuhajin release combos…
throw in plinking and double tapping like Killey just said and you’ll see why I’d never go back!
Worth every penny.

Unless you have fingers like Dhalsim, go for the stick.

Ba dum tish.

stick for reals, but I’ve been getting good on a pad as well (when riding a bike infront of tv)

Why would you wanna play Juri on a pad? I’m not trying to discourage anyone who uses pad or trying to say that you must play stick to be good at fighting games…

But that shit is harder by a large amount. I’ll give you, maybe playing ryu or Ken, or like Rose, fei Long…who else, maybe akuma…Shoto characters and motion characters. But once you start using charge and hold characters, I’m sorry…Stick all the way.

Once you hold one fuhajin, you’re fucked. Now if you’re a juri player that isn’t holding fuhajin, I question you’re pressure. Her Fuhajin is one of her pressure tools. Safe, and open’s up a lot of combos. Now if youre using a fight pad with the 6 face buttons, maybe. But let me tell you. Do you know how many times I’ve stored fuhajin for a KD, charged another one, and just went for it? J.hk, c.hp release, c.mk release, c.mk pinwheel. Uh oh…dizzy. 2 charges, same drill. Damage.

But again, i’m not saying that will make you a good juri, but it opens up offense and damage opportunity without having to contort your fingers.

Not to mention being able to link better. Not to mention being able to kara throw. Not to mention easier dive kicks. Not to mention the ability to option select easier.

Stick Juri 95% of the time > Pad Juri IMO

Why would you wanna play Juri on a pad? I’m not trying to discourage anyone who uses pad or trying to say that you must play stick to be good at fighting games…

But that shit is harder by a large amount. I’ll give you, maybe playing ryu or Ken, or like Rose, fei Long…who else, maybe akuma…Shoto characters and motion characters. But once you start using charge and hold characters, I’m sorry…Stick all the way.

Once you hold one fuhajin, you’re fucked. Now if you’re a juri player that isn’t holding fuhajin, I question you’re pressure. Her Fuhajin is one of her pressure tools. Safe, and open’s up a lot of combos. Now if youre using a fight pad with the 6 face buttons, maybe. But let me tell you. Do you know how many times I’ve stored fuhajin for a KD, charged another one, and just went for it? J.hk, c.hp release, c.mk release, c.mk pinwheel. Uh oh…dizzy. 2 charges, same drill. Damage.

But again, i’m not saying that will make you a good juri, but it opens up offense and damage opportunity without having to contort your fingers.

Not to mention being able to link better. Not to mention being able to kara throw. Not to mention easier dive kicks. Not to mention the ability to option select easier.

Stick Juri 95% of the time > Pad Juri IMO

well said…can i fight you for some pointers? psn is igydigital1080p

Juri on pad is definitely possible but I’d still rather use stick, pretty much for all the same reasons Kail said

I use the regular dualshock pad, and say I wanted to hold two fireballs(LK and MK), this is how I’d do it: I would hold them both simultaneously with my thumb. My index finger is free to press other buttons. It’s relatively easy to do.