Just found out that I suck, damn.lol

Hello everyone. My name is KLP757. I’ve been playing third strike for a while now. Just recently, i went online to see how that was. I did OK against my first few opponents, until I started to get my ass kicked. Guys were parrying, pulling of combos with high level of hits, etc.

One thing I’m working on is my offense. I attack too much.
I know I need to work on my parrying and blocking as well.

Any tips for me? I mainly use Yun, Yang, Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Urien. However, I would like some tips in general on becoming better.

Btw, I’m switching to a hori stick soon. Heard its better than using a d-pad.

just be sick.

stick to 1 character forever and youll improve faster

I disagree. But I see what you’re trying to say.

Continue using all your characters. If anything, use even more characters. However, the best thing to do is to focus on one main character. If Ken is your best characcter, You can walk into an arcade and play with Yun, and then ryu, and then after a few losses, use Ken.

Keep in mind that practicing combos, links, range, recovery frames, and other mechanics in your console training mode increases your skill exponentially.

Remember that you goal is to play better with the character, not just use the character a lot. I’ve spent so many sessions which were literally 3 straight hours in front of training mode and a dummy.

hope that helps.

Yeah, that helped a little bit. Thanks C-Royd. Any general strategies I can use? You know, strategies I can use with any character

I kind of disagree with the whole use every character thing. If you’ve mastered one, I’d say move on after that. I see alot of scrubs (And I include myself in that) just jump characters every time they lose, but they’re all at the same level. Just a waste of time in my eyes.

Anyway, the only “universal” strategy would be… be random?

A little vague, but it’s all I got

I would agree with you mostly, bu t I think it’s good to mess around with other characters to get a feel for how they play (and then you sort of understand how your opponent will approach you)

I usually play a few matches with random characters, then ken, then oro

i dont understand why people says switching characters makes you better.

in my opinion, the more you stick to a character the faster you learn about the game mechanics, footsies etc plus the character specific.

i started improving so much faster ever since i decided to pick none else then sean.

yes there are players out there who are badass and play like the whole roster, but even there, i dont see what good that brings,( other then beeing good with evrybody)since one way or the other you have to have a main, and if u go to a tourney or wtv you win with one charatcer not the whole roster…so…might as well spend all your time on one characrer.

again just my opinion.

plus: i also dont think that playing around with other chars is good to know how they are, just get some experience fighting evrybody and learn how to use ur characters tools agains difrent characters.

learning various characters helps you learn how they play, what they are likely to do, the thing they happen to resort to the most. yes it does help alot. and of course counter picking is the american way, if it works don’t knock it.

At least you can admit you suck. You’re on your way to getting good. Most people will never make that leap. If you can find your own faults, or seek out people to point them out for you, you’ll become a good player.

If there’s an arcade near you, stop playing online, find said arcade, and start playing there. Offline > Online if you want to play the game at a high level. So much bullshit occurs online that it’s not even worth playing if there’s an arcade even remotely near you with a decent scene.

Also, pick a main, and learn the basics of the game through that main. Then, if you don’t like that character, switch around, but if you do like it, just stick with it. Finding a character you mesh well with is very important.

Should I stop button mashing and learn to be more patient? Sometimes I find my self doing that.

are you trolling? mashing is always a bad idea.

I don’t even know what trolling is.lol. I hope im not. But thanks for your reply. I’m about to read so faqs and watch some youtube videos. I’ll be back if I have any questions.

ken is probably the best way to go if you want to get a good understanding of many aspects of the game.

one thing that most likely was previously stated, but i will repeat, is that you need to go in with your execution on point. that means like practicing basic combos and knowing which to apply in certain situations…but that comes later on.

learn the other characters you want to later, it will just confuse you at the beginning level. i’m sure you don’t have excess time to spend on the game anyway, so it’s better to not confuse yourself but rather to learn matchups with one character and learn how to play them.

there are a lot of things that may seem like the opponent is incredibly good…but later on just ask once you get the basics down…then it will come all clear. a lot of things come from experience too so don’t get too frustrated in the learning process…good luck.

ken is 3s.

When you’r doing moves, dont mash. It’s 1 motion, and 1 button press. No exceptions. If you find the need to wiggle the stick randomly to get your moves out, you’re simply doing it wrong. So go turn on your PS2 and get into Training mode.

when you get better, you can learn to double tap the buttons. But right now you don’t need to.

Lots and lots of training mode. It took me like a month to get my TTH on point :lovin:

I still fail it all the time due to lag (and no arcade near me) but it’s all good.

Anyway, after being able to understand matches with urien (how I could have won situations, instead of thinking oh they’re just too good) then I moved on to learn some other characters. I started with Yun since he gives me the most problems, but I know the moves and basic combos, cancels, and high priority of the most played characters.

I shouldn’t say I know how to USE them, I just know they’re moves. Knowing the setups and all that takes alot of work, and as far as I’m concerned my Urien isn’t good enough to go that far.

The training mode helps. I learned some new combos with Yun.

1.) Start with a simple lp,lk,mp combo. Immediately execute the tetsu-zankou. After that, execute the You-Hou. Must be done quickly tho.

Then there’s one that I learned with the Genei-Jin, but that would be too much to put up here.

Also, sadly, some supers you just shouldn’t use due to having better options. Genei-jin, when used correctly, beats out his SA1 and SA2 by a WIDE margin. I’m talking the marianas trench here… a veritable virtual grand canyon gap in awesomeness. Yes, genei-jin is frustrating to learn and take a LOT of time, but if your looking to get better to get competitive, then why mess around with useless stuff just because it’s easy?

Anyways, for general strats, I was once told by 10x (not sure if he’s still around these forums) that 3rd strike is all about baiting throws. Example…

You score a knock down and your playing ken. Op wakes up, you stand outside of throw range, wait less than half a second in case he throws a wakeup move out, then throw.

This time he quick rises and you walk up and instantly throw.

Now he quick rises again, so you walk forward, but before getting into throw range, you backup real quick, watch him whiff a counter-throw, then c.mk xx mp shoryu xx SA3.

Next advice I’d give is learn how to train yourself to follow through with combo’s ONLY on hit confirm. A “hit confirm” essentially means just that… that you have visually realized your opponent is getting hit as opposed to blocking. Here’s another example using ken.

You do ken’s mp xx hp target combo. There’s enough time within that combo to verify if the opponent is being hit or is blocking. If he’s getting hit, you super. If he’s blocking then just stop. In my opinion, THE hit confirm to train with is c.lk, c.lk, super with any shoto. Learn this, and you’ll be set.

Oh and try not to random super.

Don’t die.

That’s all I got.