Same here, makes me sad too. 80’s were the greatest! Especially the movies. There wasn’t an ounce of cynicism or self-awareness. When they thought they had a concept that was cool? They went all the way with it and held nothing back! Sometimes the results were goofy as hell and failed but, in many cases it resulted in something GLORIOUS!
Today’s movies don’t have that. They are made with a sorta “overly self-consciousness” vibe to it. They only dive in about 75%, while the other 25% of the movie pokes fun at itself. As if they’re scared people 20 years later will see the movie and think it’s silly, so they try to beat’em to the punch as if to be like, “Oh we knew this idea was kinda silly back then too”.
The end result is something that may still be good but, lacks that sheer Heart and energy.