Ken Option Select Thread

ken

1. What the heck is an “Option Select”?? (a must watch)
    [media=youtube]aHHoGHcgK9k[/media]

2. Here is a great video on some of Ken’s other basic option selects.
    The “Option Select Step Kick”, “Option Select EX Tatsu”, and “Option Select fp.srk”…
    [media=youtube]DAplcUKhtGA&feature=related[/media]
    video courtesy of MagnetoManiac

3. This is a video showing Safe Jump Option Selects against M. Bison (Dictator)
    [media=youtube]kSoPMh2tGlE[/media]

Below you will find specific option select scenarios against specific characters…

Abel

Spoiler

text

Akuma

Spoiler

video showing how to option select akuma on wakeup…
[media=youtube]0aJHGgo-1gc[/media]

Balrog (Boxer)

Spoiler

text

Blanka

Spoiler

text

C.Viper

[details=Spoiler]lilsicx66: “i was doing safe jump option select tatsu he was tryna ex seismo cancel throw but it doesnt wurk”

ImagineVC: “last night i did safe jump option select mp.srk and it beat her ex seismo clean.”
[/details]

Cammy

[details=Spoiler]highlulu: “against cammy a new option select to deal with her dive mix-ups is cr. mp + lk + lp after her first dive, if she dives again mp comes out and stuffs it, if she try’s to dp too soon you simply block if she goes for a throw you tech, and if she does nothing you throw out a cr. mp because mp is stronger than lk or lp.”
[/details]

Chun Li

[details=Spoiler]Apollo: “her backdash is fast enough to block or even duck an OS tatsu or sweep off a cr.lk. K throws still gets her.”
[/details]

Dan

Spoiler

text

Dhalsim

Spoiler

cross up tatsu OS U2…[media=youtube]8qtRGyn7V0I[/media]

E.Honda

Spoiler

text

El Fuerte

Spoiler

text

Fei Long

Spoiler

text

Gen

Spoiler

text

Gouken

Spoiler

text

Guile

Spoiler

text

Ken

Spoiler

text

M.Bison (Dictator)

[details=Spoiler]xCPx: “So every time i safe jump fierce i OS a rh.tatsu so if they teleport i get tatsu and land 2 hits i believe. (just watch out for ex devil reverse which can punish this OS.)”

Apollo: “against bison, OS mp dp beats Devils reverse+ex psycho+trades with ex stomp. i dont use os rh tatsu, but OS ex tatsu will punish tele and backdash and is safe from everything else but ex psycho.”

“his ultra eats all dp’s what i tend to do is see if he likes to reveral agressivly or defensively. If they’re aggressive and try to wake up Psycho or scissors i’ll OS mp dp or just safe jump block. if they wanna try and run away with tele or backdash then OS tatsu is good.”

ImagineVC: This is a video showing Safe Jump Option Selects against M. Bison (Dictator)
[media=youtube]kSoPMh2tGlE[/media]
[/details]

Rose

Spoiler

text

Rufus

[details=Spoiler]highlulu: "use option select cr. mp

basically when he is doing is dive-kick pressure if you press mp + lk + lp then if he jumps up for a dive-kick you get a cr.mp to come out which stuffs his dive-kick and if he goes in for a throw you get a tech, just don’t get too predictable with this or he will catch on and you’ll eat a nice ex messiah for your trouble. but seeing as how you can late tech a throw with this if you just delay it you should be able to catch when he try’s the messiah."
[/details]

Ryu

Spoiler

text

Sagat

Spoiler

text

Sakura

Spoiler

text

Seth

Spoiler

cross up tatsu OS U2…[media=youtube]vAGMqMSYKac[/media]

Vega (Claw)

Spoiler

text

Zangief

Spoiler

text

Ken Q&A: Ask simple questions here?

if you did the option select correctly ex srk would only come out if your j.hk whiffs, so if it’s like a fake safe-jump where it whiffs on purpose then yeah, but against ryu’s 3 frame dp you can’t actually be in a position to hit him in the air, then land and ex dp.

basically option selects work off of 2 principle’s:

1: attack hierarchy: punches < kicks and lights < mediums < heavy’s.
example: against cammy a new option select to deal with her dive mix-ups is cr. mp + lk + lp after her first dive, if she dives again mp comes out and stuffs it, if she try’s to dp too soon you simply block if she goes for a throw you tech, and if she does nothing you throw out a cr. mp because mp is stronger than lk or lp.

2: attack hit-stun: hit and block-stun goes both ways, your in recovery just the same as they are, using this information you time your option select so that if your move whiffs your NOT in hit/block stun and a different move comes out, where as if you connect your in stun and the move that you buffer is unable to activate. ex: safe-jump option select ex-tatsu to punish teleports and backdashes, if they do either your safe-jump doesn’t catch anything and your not in block-stun so a buffered ex tatsu comes out. if they block or get hit your not able to tatsu at that time so nothing happens.

that is absolutely brilliant. thanks for sharing that.

[media=youtube]DAplcUKhtGA&NR=1"[/media]

magman’s option selects.

as for the jump-in ones they are easy just buffer the special pretty much as the attack would hit and bam.

I have a lame OS but it allows someone slow like me get more damage. I do cr.mk > QCB mk+hp to punish some moves because I noticed a lot of times I choke when they land on the other side of me and I’m deciding what way to put my inputs.

So silly sagats, some srks and other stuff when they land I hit cr.mk > qcb mk+hp. QCB is done assuming they land on the same side they started on. This way if they land on the same side they started on I will get cr.mk > mk.tatsu but if they land on the other side I get cr.mk hadoken. So now I don’t choke anymore. Of course this OS isn’t THAT useful but it helps me.

One basic OS i use is against dictator.

As we all know bison has quite a bit of options on wake up, so i often use the safe jump fierce to bait ex pyscho or ex scissors but sometimes they will teleport on wake up.

So every time i safe jump fierce i OS a rh.tatsu so if they teleport i get tatsu and land 2 hits i believe. (just watch out for ex devil reverse which can punish this OS.)

ok its time to beef up this thread, to level up our fellow kens,
option select kara throw wurks realy well on characters with short and fast bakdashes, like guile,balrog and sagat, havnt tested it against every1 but it works on those 3 for sure,this is performd by doin,crouching grab wich is os tech so this is a duble option slect,but any ways, c.lk s.lp-but wile u are performing the s.lp u are also performing the kara throw,if they baskdash u will kara throw,if they blok or get hit ur ken shuld do c.lk s.lk then u wuld finish the combo if it hit go into tik throws if its blokd of jus blok after if u expect a reversal, sorry i suk at typing but this shit is tested and wurks thank u all, keep the ken army alive

Wow so this is the new thing ken’s are doing. Most weren’t before ( a month/2 + ago me thinks) Sounds very very interesting. I should learn that shizzle

fellow kens help, i canot figure out a os for vegas ppp flip or rose backdash, i belive u can os c.mk or step kik if she bakdashes when shes close to the corner but i cant figure out a punish for her bakdash mid screen,im reaching out

we have ben leveling up watch u ben doin?lol jk time to catch up and u need to get off that pad

Hmm well I don’t know many option selects but let’s see. The problem with Vega’s PPP backflip is that it takes long before you can hit him right? So if you step kick during the startup he’ll still be invincible even while your step kick is in it’s active frames? Is there a way you can delay the step kick?

I can’t try it cause I don’t have stick on me right now but what if you do cr.lk > cr.lk > forward lp + mk. The only thing is if Vega’s crouching I don’t know if standing lp will hit him. If it does then this OS should work. You get standing lp if he blocks or gets hit by the cr.lk but if the second cr.lk whiffs then you get f.mk.

Or if you know an OS with fireballs you could use a slow or medium one, I’m not sure which will catch his backflip.

Rose I’m not sure I’ve never played any Roses.

the 1st thing u said wuldnt wurk and wuld b a hassle to do but option select firball wuld fukn wurk thanks its a suky punish ment but its a punishment nun the less

You know the only option select I’ve been doing is jumpin fierce OS throw (in case it misses)

I need to learn about this stuff! Seems kinda hard to buffer all these moves really fast on a pad though. Awww crap, gotta go to bed…

lilsicx hit up the ken thread in the Super section.

Does the ryu-rufus option select for the jump in with the strong-fierce dp motion to catch the ex messiah?

wtf y we talkn bout ry?but anyways os ex srk with ryu n it will beet ex mesiah,i assume from the lack of post in this thread that not alot of ppl r usin os, this sadens me but whatever

hey lilsicx66 i asked in the other thread but how do you option select a kara throw? and which characters backdash does this work against?

you do os tech then kara throw,if they backdash u will kara throw them if they dnt u get c.lk s.lk wich u can combo with c.lp s.lp c.hp or c.mk then finish the combo, i only use this on guile and balrog atm but i think it wurks on geif and abel but im sure u can tell y i dnt use it on them

Hmm never used st.lk. But just checked the frame data didn’t know that st.lk gives +5 on hit which would allow srk/c.mk links after. Will go home and give it a try again.

On another note does close st.lp hit all characters? Watched magmans OS vid which he option selects a step kick but has to stand to do st.lp after cr.lk/OS tech. Also think that instead of the srk option select that he shows it might be better to just OS a sweep which would give an untechable kd and more damage since the srk mostly only hits twice plus executionwise it’s much easier :party:

if u watch japanese kens ull see them using s.lk cuz they option select kara throws, u can link c.hp off of it also if ur execution is tight,but i use os sweep the most,