KoF XIII General Discussion: Part II

I honestly have no idea. This is the first on the Mai nerfing. How’s King doing?

nerfed from what? shes never been exceptionally good in any kof and here is no exception. shes not bad by any means, she just lacks some cheap stuff.

king is pretty mediocre too but has really good normals, the best of which probably being far B, which is fast, goes far and leads into so much stuff pressure and combo wise

So that makes her pretty much what I remember. Nothing special, but special. Alright, seems like I didn’t need to worry about her being CvS2 level (Bad, but bad enough to be good). Thanks for the info!

I wonder how the SNKP KOFXIII sprite making division is holding up. They must have been working all this time on completing more sprites/characters for the console release.

They’ve had a lot more time than the gap between KOFXII arcade and console release, so maybe they will add 3 or more characters to the console version instead of just 2? :slight_smile: Ahhh if only these sprites were worked on earlier they probably could have completed even more characters.

Maybe if they had double the team working on the sprites, they could probably add almost as many playable characters as KOFXI home version received (which added about 11, not counting bosses or EX Kyo. Well of course those were sprite rips so they were faster to complete. ) :slight_smile:

found some fan modified sprites someone modified:

Ash Crimson: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3360/ashrt.png

Fatal Fury Team: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3550/fatal.png

K’ team: http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8130/95137740.png

Ikari Warriors: http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8949/ikaril.png

Kim team: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/622/kimt.png

If anything, this iteration of Mai is one of the best that Mai has ever been. The frame advantage after cl.A and far A is almost pretty ridiculous and her ability to frame trap afterwards with cr.C is tremendous. Her cr.C’s range and speed have been improved from the past and is able to hit a lot of normals and special moves. It helps that Mai is able to establish running and walking pressure not only with cl.A and far A but now with cr.B as she doesn’t have a slide to overlap her motions as she tries to run and cr.B. Put that together with a great j.CD, j.D, and j.C for air-to-air and limiting ground movement, Mai is able to simply trap opponents from making maneuvers and limits approach. If an opponent even thinks of trying to air to air a hop j.C or something of the like, the opponent will most likely eat an option select air throw while doing so. Also add in the fact that st.B hits all of the crouching cast, Mai can virtually limit all movement within the hop and ground space, counter poke and blockstring pressure, and frustrate the opponent into pure blocking.

Playing this game more against real people, I’d say the true reason why the top tier are top tier or rather popular is due to damage rather than actual tools with the exception of drop kick. I wouldn’t say that drop kick needs to be nerfed though as it adds an interesting dynamic that no other grappler in KOF ever had. It’s just the EX Shoulder Tackles in the corner that actually do the bulk of the damage with little committal to charging, as in it charges easily. Drop Kicks limit the overall good tool set Raiden has for about a good 15 seconds and sets him a part from other grappling characters that have good cross ups or light attack hitconfirms into command throws. In my opinion, Drop Kick into Drop Kick should remain as it is, but no other special move or super should connect after it. Otherwise playing against K’ or Shen Woo is very doable, it’s just their damage outputs are just larger and a bit easier compared to the cast, such as doing Ash Sans Culotte combos into Hyper Drive combos into finishing juggle combos for less reward than doing a million Shen Woo punches.

Speaking of Ash, I wouldn’t say he’s the easiest character in the game. It’s K’ or Shen just due to natural designs of the character. Playing more Shen Woo though, he’s really good because he has everything. Even 98 style cr.B > command throw just like Daimon.

I wouldn’t say King is mediocre, but she does lack damage amongst most of the cast. Also I’ve been testing more zoning strategies in XIII, Tataki. So far it has been working pretty well against people. I’ll try to play against Dune and the other Japanese players coming over to EVO and test my findings against their knowledge and strong fundamentals and see how it rolls. It’s mainly trying to play my style against characters such as solid K’, Kyo, Raiden, etc.

To emphasize again, Mai has some good shit. On a different tangent, I have some dirty shit with Iori right now but I’ll save that for later.

By the way Mai was actually good in 98 og and had tools to actually fight the top tier. Look up Ching Lung playing against Dakou for an example. 02um Mai is quite viable as well and I’d say 02um Mai would be the most fun and have a good diversity of tools and damage output. 98 Mai though actually has better grounded answers to full jumps other than cl.D such as dp+D and even eats Chris’ j.CD alive. It’s just there are other more obvious zoners or easier/gimmicky characters that people would rather play.

Nice observation! Thanks!

Who has acess to this game

People near arcade machine locations.

Thats not what I’ve been hearing

You heard wrong.

Are you saying that people near arcade machine locations don’t have access to the game? That’d be pretty silly.

I heard of people not around arcades having acess to it

Yeah, some people could buy the board. Pretty costly but I think it’s well worth it.

Well THE ANSWER does own his own board from what I heard, so it’s quite possible actually.

The video thread should have links instead of embedded videos.

The computer locks up everytime it tries to load that thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thought it was only me for a second :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve stopped direct posting youtube links for that reason.

You hear right. They don’t like that kind of talk here though, so you’ll have to look someplace else for that.

Oh that

so uh…how’s mature fairing now this deep in? Same with Ryo? I figure Mature still has solid tools overall and well Ryo…I haven’t heard much on him.

Looks more like someone just shoved on a smoothing filter.

What is the status of Manual Colour Edit in 13?
I need my bottomless Yuri again.