KoF XIII General Discussion: Part II

Dunno, Yuri is still Yuri. I’d say she’s some in between of 98 and 02 Yuri plus Demon Flips/Dives. I wouldn’t say dives are as relevant in this game than in SF due to the ability to space with hops and jumps. You could just simply hop j.D with Kyo and keep her out and she’d have to play a more normal KOF meta-game. I’d say her new strength might lie in the actual Demon Flip but it might be overshadowed by solid basics she has in this game. She has easy 02 Yuri like hit confirms into DP, but she could do run cr.B pressure better than 02 Yuri but more similarly to 98 Yuri. She still has a pretty low-to-the-ground hitting j.C that you can toss out early as an OS Airthrow. She’s able to control the basic space well with a good sweep, decent far C, good cr.C, st.B, Koken and cr.D xx Koken, and etc. Having the ability to do both her grounded Air Koken and mid-jump Air Koken is a good plus for zoning and traps. Solid jump-ins and air-to-airs all around.

Over all she is a good basic character that beginners could pick up. It’s just she no longer has an infamously small crouching hitbox now and Leona could just j.A instant overhead xx V-slash Yuri as well. I guess dive is good, but it’s overrated. People should be more hype for moves such as st.B actually hitting crouchers now and cancels into DP.

jus wondering, is there any frame data for kof 13 around anywhere? maybe a japanese technical guide of some sorts

also a question; how is the team building in this game? is it like marvel where all kinds of stuff matters such as who builds meter, who uses meter more efficiently and who works best first etc? or is it more kinda pick your 3 favorites and go?

im interested in running ryo and iori in some way, is this a viable in anyway? im thinking iori in the back as anchor(purely because i only see him in the back in the vids so im guessing hes a good anchor, no experience with him to judge) and im thinking ryo second? i still havent really seen a 3rd character yet, any reccomendations that could aid this team so far?

sorry for the noob questions, im a kof noob waiting for 13 to hit consoles

I wouldn’t say frame data is relevant in learning KOF. What you need is to learn fundamentals and basics first. Team building is more like pick your 3 favorites and go. I tested some new Iori technology and he could be played first, it’s just most people prefer to do big combos with him so they put him at the end. Ryo is a solid character and could be played in first or second as well. It all depends on which character you want the meter for for your last position and it’s up to you. If a character has a weak crouching, low-hitting light attack combo, then you could put the meter on them for anchor like Shen Woo then do crouching light attacks into Hyper Drive mode and do a big combo from something that didn’t give you damage in the first place.

I’d say try to learn you characters in KOF98 or 02 and just make minor adjustments to your game when XIII is out.

i see, thanks for the answers it will make picking my team that much easier

frame data isnt really relevant to learning any fighter really but u cant say it isnt a resource than can help people up there game greatly, even if its just knowing when its safe to push what button where

in the end i do want to learn fundamentals first and foremost before anything else, thats really what comes first in any fighter

ill take ur advice and try out the older games for sure

Thanks for the info on everyone so far Laban. So far everyone still looks extremely interesting to play regardless.

Framedata is something we’re going to have to work out ourselves. I hope to get to it at some point. But it’s a lot of work, especially to do on your own.

Anyway, framedata is going to look weird if you’re not used to KOF. You don’t need absolute frame advantage to stay on offense, moves that are -1, or even -4 on block are ‘pretty good’ and could even be considered to be advantageous. It becomes useful after some time, but you really need to know the fundamentals of the game, which are quite radically different from SF to make sense of it at all.

Besides that hitstun is universal (just like any kof) so you can actually ‘feel’ or ‘see’ how bad something is on block.

Personally I go by feel. I’d say for reference, you could search around for KOF Crazy Encyclopedia’s (KCE) frame data and hitbox data for KOF98. You could use this as reference to see what might be similar in XIII.

http://dune-enud.web.infoseek.co.jp/kouryaku/iori/waza.html
Here’s Iori for example. If you look at his cl.C attack, the start up is 2 frames, the active is 7 frames, and the recovery is 14 frames. With the amount of blockstun it induces in addition to the amount of pushback, it’s pretty much safe on block. If you feel out the move, you could tell that it’s fast and pretty meaty. With a hitbox like that, it’s great for anti-air and frame traps.

http://dune-enud.web.infoseek.co.jp/kouryaku/omoteryo/waza.html
And here’s Ryo’s frame data and hitbox data. If you see that fourth picture, that’s Ryo’s cl.D. In XIII, that is his standing D regardless of close or far; and you could tell with that hitbox, start up, and active frames that it’ll be a really beefy move to put in blockstrings and frame traps.

http://dune-enud.web.infoseek.co.jp/kouryaku/frame.html
Here’s the link for the frame data and hitbox data in general. I don’t think all the characters are covered but at least the most popular characters to use in play should be filled out with data.

yeah i know what u mean about not needing absolute frame advantage, in tekken most moves that are -9 or below are considered safe since jabs are all 10 frame startup so anything less than that is safe

its a shame that no company did a technical guide for kof13 like the ones for ae or blazblue, guess its the old set the dummy to do a move then block, try everything to punish it till something works for punishes and for air tight offense we gotta figure out our selves

You’re making the game sound pretty good.

I’m just hoping people will actually pick up this game and take it seriously; it’s one of the most balanced and fun KOF games with interesting, new tools for returning characters. People complain about K’ and Raiden, but I’d say it’s mainly due to the commonality of the characters. K’ is still just 02um with less tools but bigger damage output, you can deal with him. Raiden’s EX Tackles after Drop Kicks is silly, but he still has to set up for drop kicks with limited amounts of tools he has without his kicks.

Compared to Goro, Chizuru, Iori, O. Yashiro, and Chris in 98 or Athena, Billy, Choi, Kim, Angel, and Vanessa in 02; K’ and Raiden are small time. Although very balanced, characters actually have good, interesting tools that are not simply homogenized. Although zoning characters could do more cr.B, cr.A knockdowns or running cr.B pressure, they’re still largely zoners and have differently focused strengths and not play like Kyo or K’.

The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match Thread

the problem with yuri is that she doesn’t have the same range as before, she is smaller now.

people will complain for the lack of moves in this game, EX moves will supplement this probably.

Some things don’t seem to work as well as before like clark’s close c into command grab, I missed that one several times

and the game doesn’t feel as smooth as other kofs,

this is normal because of the new graphics, the game is still evolving but it feels like kof somehow

I never had this problem with Yuri. Her hitboxes and normals are all pretty good. Clark’s cl.C into command grab works fine for me. The game certainly is KOF, it even feels faster than 98 and smoother than the mess 02 og feels like (chaining crouching light attacks for example, it’s better in 02um though.)

Maybe it’s just me. I main 98 but I have a friend that prefers to play 02 so I learned enough of that game just so I could help him with his game. Then I went on to learn 00 and a bit of XI so I can easily transition from one KOF to another without problems. In the context of the whole matter, XIII feels really good. I’d say the main thing is just getting used to phasing through people as you hop through them and it leads to easier and dirtier cross ups, which I do enjoy though.

I have confirmation from someone that collaborates closely with Atlus and the KOF XIII development team about the netcode, I can’t say anything, -anything, but when I knew what KOF XIII will use as it’s netcode, and I’m a huge skeptic, I became very happy and all I can say is that KOF XIII will have the best netcode of -all-, yes, and it’s not an overstatement, ALL console fighting games released till now. News should be coming soon… at an important event somewhere. Sorry people, I can’t clear up anything else.

This is the sketchiest fucking post I’ve ever read. “I have sources, but I can’t actually say anything, and I can’t actually even hint about what the thing I can’t talk about is, but its totally real you guys”

But I’m hyped anyway.

I just can’t throw out any information yet, but what I know will, hopefully be revealed soon at a coming event. If I say anything it’d be pretty easy to figure out what’s going to be. I can say this however, it’s something I, as a skeptic and more or less pesimist didn’t think was going to happen. It might be KOF’s startup point in the US. Actually, it surely will be.

Go ahead and say the four magic letters Pablo. We know you want to.

No, it isn’t that…

So 8 golden letters then

I can’t go on further.

oh boy can’t wait for og kaillera