KoF98UM & Garou - Family Fun Arcade (Granada Hills, CA) - Saturday (5/3/08)

Please Note: Rules are subject to change.

FFA SNK Tournament

10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA
(818) 360 - 0419

When:
Saturday, May 3rd, 2008

King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match:
3:00 PM

Garou: Mark of the Wolves:
7:00 PM

Sign-ups will start an hour before each event. Do not be late!

Rules:
Entry Fee: $8; will be split 70/20/10 (1st/2nd/3rd)
Double Elimination bracket
2 out of 3 matches
You are not allowed to switch characters if you won the previous match against the same person.

This event will be in two weeks, so get your Garou and KoF practice in! This time there should be no excuses that you won’t enter because you’re rusty :arazz:.

We really want to make this a bi-weekly event, so the more people who show up the better the chances that will happen. Some people had problems with the times so we’ll be switching the two times between the games every event (next event will be Garou first then KoF), that way everybody can go at least once a month.

NOTE: Button set-ups for KoF98UM and Garou are as follows:
A C
B D

We are aware that many arcades have many different button configs. We have chosen this setup due to KoFXI and NGBC using this setup as well.

Cross posted at http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showthread.php?p=686922#post686922

one the console version of KoF98UM comes out (granted the tournaments get bigger), will the tournaments be run on consoles?

The answer is most likely “no”. Personally, I want to play as Orochi Leona in my team which makes me partial to the PS2 port.

There’s other games where I’m partial to the PS2 port too (KoFXI, Guilty Gear XX AC), but we’ve been holding tournaments only on arcade and the manager wants it that way probably because of SBO.

If there were zero changes between the port and the arcade version (like Melty Blood AC Ver. B2) then there wouldn’t be a problem with us holding the tournament on the port.

If the tournament gets really big, though, we only have one arcade machine so PS2 games would be necessary. However, we would limit Orochi Leona, Riot Blood Iori, Orochi and Goenitz because they aren’t in the arcade version.

the thing is that if the tournie was held on consoles, you’d still follow arcade style rules (as in no console only characters and no arrange mode if there is one). Also with console people wont have to worry about button layout problems (some people like classic NG style and some like the newer CvS2 style layouts), but with consoles you can have both. With the consoles, you can have multiple consoles so the tournament can go faster.

So far speed hasn’t been a problem. We only had 8 people last tournament. The rules might change to single match instead of 2 out of 3, but it will still stay double elim. That depends on the turn-out. KoF can have some really long 2 out of 3 sets.

I don’t see why we wouldn’t allow it on consoles if we stuck with arcade rules. We’ll probably have to wait for the US release of the PS2 port, though.

ok i get what your saying, i was just speaking about what could be done later on down the road.

How long were the 2 out of 3 sets?

Why is it $8 now and not $5?

It turns out KoF 98 UM has some weird programming in Event mode that automatically makes it Free Play during Event Mode. Every other arcade game normally allows pay-to-play during Event Mode. On the average, players would spend $2-3 during the tournament on a pay-to-play setup. We’ll also make the machine free-play before the tournament for practice, so that helps you get more for your money.

Thanks, see you guys there.

There was one 2 out of 3 game that took about 14 minutes.

I think that KoF tournaments usually do single match games anyways, but I’m not sure about that.

Either way, the semi-finals and finals will be 2 out of 3 no matter what.

I think DDR has free event mode too.

I need to double-check Garou to see if it does that too. If it is still pay-to-play during event mode then the entry fee for Garou will be $5.

You’ll have to charge $8 for Garou since it doesn’t have the event mode like SF3. Garou just has free play or charge to play. And you’re going to have to reset it after every match, unless one of the next players want to use the winning character.

Thanks for the info, that’s why I couldn’t find event mode >.<

Do all Neo Geos not have that option in their soft dip?

I’ve never seen a Neo with an event mode option in it. I can ask a few Neo Geo heads and see if SNK added this option to the later MVS boards, I doubt they did, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Did you guys mean to set Garou to 50c per game?

I was about to ask the same thing myself.

I don’t see why we would. If you mean because one person will have to challenge somebody making it 50c, then maybe. We might make it freeplay and do an $8 entry fee.

Oh, I just realized why MOTW was 50 cents on accident. We were trying to figure out a way to get Neo Geo games to allow Player 2 to press start after inserting a coin even if there was nobody on Player 1. (Turns out we can’t do it)

I tested it about an hour ago and the game is set back to 25c a game.

Since we’re doing 2 out of 3 matches we’ll just make the players give up the match at the end. The rules are that you can’t switch characters after you’ve won a match so that shouldn’t be a problem either.

There should be a way to do it. I know if I put a coin in my cab I can hit start on either side. I’ll check my settings and see if I can help you guys out.