Konami Fighting Games

Aside from the pretty fun “Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles:Tournament Fighters,” the terrible PSX Virtua Fighter/Tekken clone “Kensei: Sacred Fist,” and maybe Rumble Roses, does anyone know of any other Konami fighting games?

I know they’re coming out with a TMNT SSB clone soon and I remember hearing about a Castlevania 3d fighter, but none of these seem like a serious entry.

Seems kinda strange to me that Konami never got into the FG business. Especially in the mid 90’s when FGs were big money. Perhaps they simply didn’t have the right talent to design one.

Their major direct competitors Namco and Capcom both have a big following in fighting games. It just seems weird that they never got into them.

Am I missing some obvious Konami fighting game?

[Edit Note: I have removed the “shallow” comment about TMNT:TF. It was made in ignorance, and I hope the discussion can get back on topic.]

If you think TMNT:TF is shallow you got another thing coming buddy.

:looney:

I can’t wait for Stuart Hayden to show up and tear the OP a new asshole.

Metal Gear Online CQC only rooms

Well, it seemed shallow when I was 12, lol. I haven’t played it since soon after it came out in… '93, was it?

ZOE2 versus mode!

And like everyone is saying, Tournament Fighters isn’t shallow.

Ok, my Ninja Turtles faux pas aside, this actually brings up the point: since Konami was capable of making a deep fighting game, as evidenced by TMNT:TF (sorry, jeez!) why did they stop? If I remember correctly, it did fairly well in sales.

Tournament Fighters on the SNES was hardly shallow. No idea about the Genesis/Megadrive version, though.

Anyway, Konami did work on other fighters aside from what you’ve mentioned. These include:

BTW, the TMNT smash clone is developed by Ubisoft, not Konami.

Calling Zar to beat the op up with words and truth.

Tournament Fighters on the SNES was hardly shallow. No idea about the Genesis/Megadrive version, though.

I played it on Genesis, but I imagine it wasn’t much different from version to version. I was young at the time, though and it has been like 15 years since I played it.

Anyway, Konami did work on other fighters aside from what you’ve mentioned. These include:

• Martial Champion, which is on the Arcades (think it’s MAME emulated) and PC Engine.
    Very interesting. I didn’t know about that one. Looks a lot like a Street Fighter clone, but with a different control scheme. Thanks for the info.
  • Kensei: Sacred Fist on the PS1.
    I did mention this, and it was, while maybe not necessarily bad… extremely average.
  • Rakuga Kids on the N64, with it’s bizarre and unique artstyle.
    HA! Good find. I had forgotten all about this one.

BTW, the TMNT smash clone is developed by Ubisoft, not Konami.
Thanks for the clarification.

i see youre using the quote function to the highest degree.

Totally different games. Genesis version is pretty shallow and stupid.

What is the purpose of this thread? Konami has not developed a fighter in a long time, and they have only one good FG to their name. Why clutter up FGD with useless babble? There’s enough bad threads as it is.

I suppose a discussion about fighting games was a bad idea in the Fighting Game Discussion forum. My bad.

Boy this thread sure is shallow.

Eh, I guess so. I just thought it was interesting that one of Japan’s biggest video game companies who has historically had a pretty good arcade presence has basically nothing for fighting games.

Capcom, Sega, Namco, SNK, and Tecmo all have a presence in fighting games, there are even much smaller companies with more than Konami. It just seems weird that they never did more than dabble in the genre which is quite profitable, especially in Japan.

Probably because they’re too busy banking on everything else they made.
They’ve got tons of random series that people love to…well, love.

That, and Yu-Gi-Oh makes them a SHIT ton of cash. Apparently enough to afford to cancel organized play in America, the bastards.

…Kuck Fonami.

I would actually love to see a Capcom VS Konami game. Think about it.
The Contra guys.
Solid Snake and others from MG.
Dracula, Alucard, a few Belmonts, etc from Castlevania.
Some weird-ass monsters and shit from Silent Hill.
Q*Bert.
Some characters from Yie Ar Kung-Fu (Kind of a Fighting game…)
The Cowboys from Sunset Riders.
Bucky O’Hare (LOL)
That weird Frogger RPG frog.
Various Suikoden characters. (Not all… 540, or whatever there is now)
Some Rumble Roses.
Some dance fighter from DDR or something.
Ninja Turtles and Yugioh characters if their licences allow.

Lots of good stuff in their catalog of characters and licences.

What was wrong with Kensei?

Dream Mix TV: World Fighters

Megatron transforms into the P-38. Tyson from BeyBlade is broke as fuck. And this game brings you the Epic Matchup of Optimus Prime vs Solid Snake vs Simon Belmont vs Master Higgins. I’m a big fan of the game and was hoping they’d pop a sequel off or something. Not enough Alice the Rabbit, Bill Rizer, Frogger, Vic Viper or Yugi .