Lag Calibration in fighting games. Would it work?

I’ve been having this argument with a friend of mine for the longest time about how it wouldn’t work and he says it would.

What I’ve been trying to tell him is that the only reason it works for rock band is because the notes that have to be hit are on a set pattern and all rock band does is move it back just a little bit so that when you hit the notes it matches up. He seems to think that the game can somehow speed up the signal sent to the game and it would no longer lag.

Granted, it’s not a bad idea if it could be done but I don’t think that it would work given that the signal is already being sent to the system instantly.

my random thoughts

Spoiler

It wouldn’t work. Think back to Star Craft 1. Remember how when you played online you would click something and it would take a fraction of a second for it to happen? It would be like that, but in fighting games.

Actually, that has nothing at all to do with the issue at hand. Simply put, it wouldn’t work. I like to play my fighting games on an HP2159M or my Insignia 22 Inch LCD monitor. They both have >5 ms of response time and it feels good.

Plus, you can get a small HDTV for dirt cheap nowadays. Always check the ms before you buy. Everything coming out recently has such good response times that it almost doesn’t matter which brand you get.

Well, the response time has nothing to do with lag.

Lag Calibration in Rockband has everything to do with response time. Which is what I assumed this thread to be about.

There’s a thread on here that talks about HDTV lag. When an HDTV has bad response time it causes image ghosting and whatnot. A tv can have a good response time and still have really bad lag.

Herpaderp. You’re right. Don’t know what I was going on about.

What I was asking is, could they somehow adjust a fighting game, such as tekken or street fighter, so that it doesn’t lag? Rock band adjusts the timing of the notes so that you’re timing is right. I was saying it wouldn’t work with a fighter because they would literally have to speed the moves up to compensate for the lag which would be stupid. Am I right?

If they do, it’d have to be local only. It wouldn’t work online.

it wouldn’t work because the game doesn’t know what your going to do next.

It could work, but it would basically amount to introducing extra lag on faster displays.

You’re misunderstanding what ‘lag calibration’ does in rhythm games.

It introduces a change in the response time based on the video, so that when the note scrolls across the screen, the processing ‘window’ for hitting that note is moved, lining it up with the visual speed of the TV.

This can’t help fighting games, because you’re not looking for a static motion note, you’re reacting to an untimed event, an opponent acting freely.

You’re not clear if you’re talking lag from the display or latency fighting online.
Either way, the answer is ‘No.’

This is my understanding, so correct me if I’m wrong.

There is a game processing between when the console/arcade receives your input and when the image is sent to the display—this is 4 frames on ST for example. This is not defined as lag since it’s built into the game. If a game were to lag-calibrate as you put it, it would have to tap into that time interval; there is no other way it could work.

Continuing with ST as the example, if it were coded for the 360 to respond to the user inputs in 3 frames, it would allow for 1 frame of lag due to monitor, controller, etc. If you’re playing with a lagfree setup, then you would need an option to add that extra frame back in. Either way, the game would still be displayed the proper 4 frames after your input.

Can’t you introduce a GGPO-esque rollback system where the game takes the most likely (or just any random) pathway and as soon as it gets the input that contradicts this path, it rolls back and takes the alternate route (with frames cut). It wouldn’t look as smooth, but it’d make up for the lag.

It would help make up for network latency, but have no bearing on TV-induced lag.