LCD Monitor vs new LCD TV

Ok so here’s my dilemma:

I currently have a LCD monitor for my computer, and a regular TV for my PS2, PS3, and Cable box. I have surround sound for my computer, but not for my TV. I know there’s some kind of way I can connect my monitor to the PS3 and the cable box, but I’m not sure about the connections I need. So here are my questions:

For minimal complications, should I just go ahead and get a new LCD TV for my ps2/ps3/Cable?

If not, how many new cables will I need to connect my PS2/PS3/Cable box to my monitor (the monitor only has 2 ports for input)?

Will I have to connect my ps2/ps3 through my computer then play it on the monitor? If I do, will I have to worry about lag?

If I hook everything up to my computer, will the surround sound come through for my PS2/PS3.

If I should get the TV, will it come with some kind of cable that will hook up to my cable box?

I have alot more questions to ask but I think that’s enough for now. Thanks in advance for the help peeps!

i would just get a new TV. how much are you willing to spend? i can help you find a good LCD if u want.

You don’t have to buy a new TV. The most inexpensive route (which I did recently) is to buy an HDMI switch box and some DVI to HDMI cables. Does your cable box have DVI or HDMI out? I know the PS3 does. Since you still have a PS2 I assume your PS3 is the 40GB version. The PS2 will be the only problem. This can be done for well under $100, much less than an LCD TV or even an LCD monitor. There is one issue to consider, however. Most widescreen LCD monitors have an aspect ratio of 16:10, and widescreen TVs are 16:9. If your monitor doesn’t do scaling, then the picture will be cut off at the sides. If it does scale, then the picture will be slightly stretched vertically. That’s the only major issue, but considering how inexpensive this option is, I think it’s a fair tradeoff.