Learning chars in MVC3

Hey, I was just wondering how you guys go about learning a char in MVC3. I bought the game today, and immediately began to go through mission mode. Would it be more beneficial to just stick with one team and learn the three, or keep going through mission mode while familiarizing yourself with the cast?

I got the game yesterday, and the way I found out my team(for now) was just fool around with every character in the game in training mode. Find a few that work for you and try out their missions. If you still like them from there you should stick with em’ :slight_smile:

Its always benificial to go through the whole cast but thats mainly so you know what to expect. If you know what moves are possible and what are good easy combos you’ll know what most players will go for in a real game. You don’t necessarily need to master every character but learn quirks about them. For example Haggar: if he uses an attack in the air at all those attacks will remain active the whole way down until he lands so jumping into his air attacks at any time will get you hit unlike most characters who stop attacking if they whiff in the air.

for my point I used Zero mainly because hes incredibly similar to his TvC counterpart. Utilizing a lot of the same basics I was able to use him pretty well.

Its always benificial to go through the whole cast but thats mainly so you know what to expect. If you know what moves are possible and what are good easy combos you’ll know what most players will go for in a real game. You don’t necessarily need to master every character but learn quirks about them. For example Haggar: if he uses an attack in the air at all those attacks will remain active the whole way down until he lands so jumping into his air attacks at any time will get you hit unlike most characters who stop attacking if they whiff in the air.

for my point I used Zero mainly because hes incredibly similar to his TvC counterpart. Utilizing a lot of the same basics I was able to use him pretty well.

Well really, don’t consider characters individually, consider a team as a character, and consider different assists as very slight variations of said character.

As far as actually making a team goes, you need to figure out first of all what type of playstyle you want your team to use (rushdown, mixup/lockdown, keepaway, balance, etc.), then you have to choose the point character you want for said team. THEN you have to choose 2 characters that compliment said character, as well as who have assists that help your point fulfill the role you want him to play.

For example, in choosing the team I personally made, Dante (A)/Hulk (B)/Dr. Doom (Y) (my other team was stolen from Yipes because I fell in love with it after trying it), I originally wanted a rushdown heavy team, so was fooling around with points that filled this role, and fell in love with Dante, then the end result was a much more balanced team. I chose Jam Session for Dante to help keep up pressure with Hulk and help lockdown with Doom.

After choosing Dante, I wanted somebody with an assist that could build meter as well as help Dante get in without teleport, so Doom’s rocks assist covered this perfectly, and as he has good keepaway abilities he fit in as a good A2 so I would have someone to prevent a comeback when the opponent uses X-Factor.

As far as Hulk went, I knew I needed an A1, I wanted something with a solid AA assist, and someone to soak up damage when necessary. I love Hulk as a character, and after trying out all the heavy hitters found he suited my team and playstyle the best. Not to mention all of his Hyper’s can DHC pretty well with Dante’s guns hyper with different timing and distances taken into consideration.

Honestly Thor might have been a better choice overall than Hulk from an outside point of view looking at the characters side by side, but Hulk suits my playstyle much better and therefore I have more fun with him on the team, and playing with both I didn’t notice a huge difference overall, I did better with Hulk personally.

Anyways, good luck with your team man, have fun! Half the fun of getting started with the game is finding a great team for you!

EDIT: I just changed Hulk’s assist in my team to A so that I have an OTG assist to help Dante out combo-wise, I liked his AA assist but this seems to work so much better in the long run. See what I mean about the complication of making a team? So many variables to mess with.

Relatively summarized version of the old Team Questionnaire that we passed around in the MvC3 board.

1. Who is your first character (point)?
  2. What are their weaknesses?
    -How will your other two characters address this?
    3.What are their strengths?
  3. Who is your second (assist/battery)?
  4. What are their weaknesses?
    6.What are their strengths?
  5. Who is your third (assist/battery)?
  6. What are their weaknesses?
    9.What are their strengths?

try out a couple of teams.

Try out a few teams you think would work well together. Just by playing you’ll get an idea of what each team is missing and what it does well.

I would try to keep the number as small as possible though so you don’t get overwhelmed. The most imporant thing is dont be afraid of a certain character or assist just because everyone talks about them or you don’t like the way they look. It’s really all about the way they play and what options they have. You might hate sentinel but find out his assist is exactly what your team needed.