Learning stick, need help overcoming side deficiencies

Wasn’t sure where else to put this.

So, recently I picked up an HRAP3 from Amazon for the low price of 65 bucks (a steal), I’ve been a pad-user my entire life, experimenting with different controllers to see which were right for me - but I finally decided that my thumbs needed a rest after realizing I have this constant numbness and twitchiness. I think I’ve permanently damaged some nerves, but I digress. I’m a stick user now for health reasons and I’ve had pretty good luck considering I’ve never used one until now.

Moving on, I’m a MOTW player, so I’ve picked up breaks and feints, but here’s my problem: I have a side deficiency when facing right and it’s not a case of not practicing on that side enough. The way I hold the stick is like Daigo, between the pinky and ring finger, when I do inputs like qcfx3, I sort of pull the stick towards me and it allows me to do it quickly. With this grip, doing the same thing facing right is impossible since it’s a pushing motion instead. I can’t input nearly as quickly or as accurately when on the 1p side. I like the accuracy of this grip, it’s what I’m comfortable with, but perhaps I should try a different one? How would you all recommend overcoming a side deficiency?

Also, I’m considering replacing the crappy hori buttons, would Sanwas allow me to do two button inputs (EX, for example) with ease?

Adjusting from D-Pad to Arcade Stick: Re-Learning The Game

Hey I’m relatively new to a stick also, I picked up the madcatz mvc3 TE stick. The Sanwa buttons feel amazing. Also, I’m a ssf4 and mvc3 player and had to overcome a side defficiency also.I could only do quarter circle and half circle moves to the right and not the left. I was playing with Daigo’s grip just like you but it just wasn’t working for me so I switched to holding the stick between my middle and ring fingers. I’ve been a lot more successful since I changed grip. I was also inputting the button sequences before I was finished with the stick motion… That was frustrating. I’ve found that slowing down slightly on the stick makes everything smoother and easier to pull off. I’m still a huge noob, but I hope that helps somewhat. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response; I’ve also tried using that grip, which is what another execution master (biffotasty/desk) uses. I suppose I need more time with that style to see if it works - but I haven’t had much luck with it so far. Supposedly Daigo’s grip is ideal for SF and not really other fighting games that are faster-paced.

I’ll get me some Sanwas then, because Horis don’t register a lot of times. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t copy the grip of other players – use what’s most comfortable.

And practice for 30mins, at least 3 times a day.

p.s. Daigo was a Guilty Gear/Vampire Saviour master, and I doubt he changed his grip :rofl:

sometimes an octo-gate helps with the transition. after getting used to it you can decide whether you like square/octo/circle/wtfever.

If you are still figuring out your proper grip, and it is still an issue, then you have not spent enough weeks or months practicing.

Getting good with an arcade stick and fighting games is very much like playing a music instrument but at the same time using it to play high speed chess.

It will take you the same amount of time effort and practice to get good with an arcade stick as it will to learn proper technique with a music instrument. Jumping from pad to stick is like jumping from wind instrument to piano. You play the same notes, but with a different hand motions.

It actually is a case of not practicing that side enough. One side always is naturally harder to execute the same motion but mirrored. Just like pro basketball players learn to dribble with both hands, tournament players learn to play both sides.

What I ended up doing is doing some drills to say the least. Practice 15 623’s in a row, 15 236’s in a row, 623146’s etc… and then do the same on the other side and afterwards do general combo practice. Trust me, it takes a while to get used to a stick. Its a normal process.

Also there are a lot of faster paced games out there than SF. And daigo was never good at guilty gear. Also that’s a proper call to replace the shitty stock buttons.

Check out these guides in the Newbie Dojo:

The Arcade stick FAQ (has info on grips):
http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-arcade-stick-faq-read-before-asking-questions-231888/

The Execution FAQ (the "halp, I can’t throw a fireball thread):
http://shoryuken.com/f322/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-execution-guide-read-me-234169/

623s are easy on both sides, those were the first things I mastered and can already input them quicker than I can on pad.
My main problem is with accuracy and speed of qcfs. No problems with HCFs, HCBs, DPs, etc. It’s odd, qcfs should be the easiest, but they’re the most problematic for me. Garou has gotten me into some bad habits, too; since the game system stores inputs for a short while, I can get away with inputting something, then waiting a bit and pressing a button instead of timing the punch or kick at the same time as the last part of the input. First thing I noticed about stick was that I was not coordinating my hands properly due to the lax system.

I should learn ST just to get used to how unforgiving it is with timing. Thanks for the help, I’ll upgrade the buttons first and go from there.

It was a recommendation, I asked which grip was the most accurate with the least amount of “extraneous” inputs and that one was cited. Others said to use what’s most comfortable, but comfortability often times goes hand-in-hand with what you’re most used to.

*Is it me, or do Sanwas have crazy long throws?

I just got a stick about 3 days ago and I tell you, it’s been a learning curve, but crazy rewarding. I find my movement and combo execution has improved ALOT, but charge characters are tough. I can do shoto moves pretty consistent now, but flash kicks? Forget it! I’ll check those threads, but I got ALOT better spending time in training mode. Grip matters a lot, especially with the ball tops. I was using my thumb and index at first, and not being able to do anything, now I use the underhand grip and I am doing much better.

The musical instrument is a great analogy!

BTW, what in the name of great caesar’s ghost is a 623s?!

Dragon punches; look at the numpad for numerical inputs. That’s funny you say your movement increased, compared to pad, I am a sitting duck. Can’t dash as quickly, either.

I don’t want to give the impression that I’m ass at stick, I’m pretty decent for the time I’ve been using it, just wish I could observe someone’s technique/form, that would be more than beneficial for me at this point.

I usually let my hand off the stick to dash, sort or slap at it twice and grab it mid animation. I used that technique in arcades in my highschool days. :smiley:
I could consistently dash with a pad. Using a Hori stick is like coming home again, albeit one that has a Japanese makeover…
Dragon punches are pretty easy if you remember the old arcade diagrams (if yer old like me. They were laid out like Zs

The gear in a arcade stick makes a very big difference in play to certain people. I find that the JLF sticks are very forgiving in doing said motions and the buttons are very sensitive, in hindsight, they’re not my preferred setup. I think the most stingiest setup has to be something like a Seimitsu LS-56 + Octagonal gate. Short engage with no corners will make you extremely frustrated because there are no corners and the stick becomes very sensitive in motions.

Aside from that, you might have to align your HRAP3 universally straight if I can try to put it that way. When you have your stick slanted, it might affect the way you’re doing normal motions.
Finding your preferred way of holding the stick is something you’ll learn to like or change over time. Holding it wine glass style was what I used to do but it was difficult to perform Ibuki’s TC SJC Ultra 2 so I naturally changed my style.

Wine glass style is The Gentleman’s Grip?. Heheh!

Only depress the clutch when really necessary, don’t keep feathering it your you’ll wear out the clutc… oh sorry, wrong stick.

Seriously though, as rtdzign stated, figure out the grip that works best for you, then work from there.

To the OP, I strongly suggest that you don’t put much thought into grip. If it is comfortable, you’re good. Just go practice.

Most people who are good at Street Fighter have no idea what grip they use. Usually the guides that present many different grips with elaborate names are scrubby as hell.

d3v, feel free to move this sort of thing over to the newbie dojo if you like. I try to send the electronics questions your way.

I know exactly what you speak of. Hearty lols at the “no homo” and “grip of doom.”

Is there a reason why the ball of the JLF rotates? I’ve always wondered if it was a design decision, because I think I’d prefer if it were static and didn’t move.