LED Lighting Buttons & Joystick on Mad Catz TvC Wii Stick?

I’ve spent the last week or so scouring the Tech Talk forums and searching Google trying to find an answer for how to do this and came up empty handed, so I figured I’d make a thread and ask. Is there any solderless way to add LED illumination to some translucent Seimitsu PS-14-KN buttons and a bubble ball top on a Sanwa JLF stick in a Mad Catz Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii fightstick? I found several guides for how to do it with a TE stick for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but since those connect via USB and the TvC stick connects via the Wii remote I’m guessing the modding process might be a bit different. It seems that there used to be a guide for LED lighting TvC sticks on SRK but the thread was lost in the move to Xenforo.

Keep in mind that this will be my first time LED modding a stick and I’m looking for the simplest and easiest way to go about doing it. I’m not looking for anything too complicated, just constant on LEDs whenever the stick is turned on. To make it as easy as possible to set up I’ve been looking into picking up a JLF LED joystick from Paradise Arcade Shop and some 30mm Pele rings to light the buttons, but I don’t have the first clue as to how to wire them up or if there are any Wii compatible LED controllers out there that would offer a simple solderless connection solution.

Again, I’m a total newbie when it comes to this sort of thing and any advice that you guys/gals could offer to help make this project a reality would be sincerely appreciated!

the kaimana line at paradise arcade can be solderless… but like you said it draws from the USB.

You could:

1: install a usb power line to the stick… straight to the PCB that powers the leds… this isn’t an issue if it is separate from the inputs (like the lights are always on, not when the buttons are pressed)
If you want “button pushed, lights up” you would have to be make sure that its compatible with the remotes and I haven’t seen that. Willing to bet @Gummo could do it through his wizardry.

2: Install a power source for the lights inside the stick… see#1 if you want them to light up when pushed.

16 AA batteries power this… look Mom, not plugged in!

I honestly don’t see this as feasible to do it without an additional power source… I think it will reduce your charge/play time significantly. Someone may have some other ideas though.

Since you just want always on lights, you can take some regular LEDs, connect them to the PCB’s power line (connecting the anodes in parallel so they’re all the same brightness), ground them to any ground (you can common cathode, i.e. daisy chain the cathodes to ground), glue/tape/whatever them to the buttons and that’ll be that. You’ll need to figure out the voltage of the Wii PCB and get some appropriate LEDs and resistors. I know it gives enough voltage to power a single USB board connected to it, but idk if it can handle more than that.

EDIT: Didn’t notice you wanted a solderless solution.

wii controllers wont last long powering the leds… that is the issue I see he will have.

Well… drat! I appreciate the replies but it certainly sounds like any way to add LED lighting to a TvC Wii stick is going to be way over my knowledge and skill level. Not having a multimeter or soldering iron (and not wanting to invest in them for just one project) it’s starting to sound like this might be the sort of thing I’d have to send my stick off to a more skilled modder to have done. I’m still holding out hope that someone might have an idea for a simple solderless way to pull it off, but I’m also open to suggestions for well established and reliable modders who could do the job.

@Jin15 do you want to use the stick on Wii or Wii-U?

Depending on whom you send your TvC stick for an LED mod, the parts + labor + freight might be more than just getting a Brook WII-U adapter and stick with LEDs installed out of the box like a MadCatz Killer Instincts TE2, Qanba Q2 Glow, or a PDP Injustice Fightstick.

This might sound kinda funny, but I really only plan to use the stick for emulators on the original Wii’s Homebrew Channel. I do a lot of competitive retro gaming for the Atari 2600, Atari 7800, ColecoVision, NES, Game Boy/Color, and Sega Genesis and I want a top quality stick to play my old retro games with. I decided on using the Wii for emulation since it emulates all of those consoles flawlessly and would let me have one stick that I could play all of them with without needing half a dozen different adapters and conversion cables. Having a good stick for the couple Wii fighters and shmups out there is a nice bonus too, but it’s main use will be for playing emulated 8 and 16-bit games with the Homebrew Channel.

I’ve already purchased the TvC stick, have commissioned some custom artwork for it, and will be picking up Seimitsu buttons for it next week; so the only expenses left to sort out are replacing the stick and ball top with a Sanwa JLF and then getting it all LED lit.