Let’s face it guys. This matchup is downright broken and hands down the worst in the game.
I feel like we need to know absolutely every aspect of this match, ranges, game-plans, tactics if we want to compete.
Dedicated Community Thread.
**Since SSF4 is going to be the major tournament game for this year, no use focusing on AE stuff yet, have to work with what we got.
We all know the moves that rape us and can leave that till later. I want to delve into the gnitty gritty of things about seth.
Getting In on Seth
This requires PURE AND RAW patients. Since you’ll more than likely be pushed back to max range, let’s start there. There are numerous things you can while at the mercy of his max range stretch arms.
A.) Cr. :lk: O-S Regular GH (Best Option)
- This poke can easily hit the arms recovery and is pretty failsafe
- Since his arms only take one hit of damage from an EX-GH there is no need to waste the meter
- The regular GH will close some good distance
B.) Sit and watch patterns
- Things like is he mixing up sonic boom speeds, walk forward fake-outs, walk forward :hp: to combo the sonic booms
- His sonic booms do barely any damage on block. Seriously just block.
B.2.) Side note: STOP LARIATING!
- At max range this is USELESS. You’ll be able to get 2-3 sections of a meter bar at most during a round.
- He can punish it this easily and it’s a tight window hit him.
- Only KKK lariat can connect since it hits low on startup
- The sonic booms put down a lot of block stun so trying to lariat the arms after is VERY VERY difficult.
- If anything use it sparingly
Don’t use this too often as it’s predictable, but a solid tool nonetheless
This is widely underused in this matchup. If seth is not sitting on two meters of EX and you see a sonic boom coming, start focusing the sonic boom (likely to follow up with standing fierce arms). If you if you see the arms keep charging and aim for a level (1) focus attack crumple. Even if it whiffs you’ll be at better positioning then you were.
Best case scenario: You crumple him and get your in on seth.
Regarded as a generally bad idea. You whiff and he’ll be across the screen with his wall-jump kick punishing you in no time.
This is ONLY if you know EXACTLY what he is doing. Who am I kidding, this is a random tactic. Spin and hope.
Not a good option, but it exists.
E.) Fire-ball Banish
- If you see a medium sonic boom, BANISH IT.
- Slow sonic booms he can bait with and punish with ease
- Fast booms you can’t banish on reaction, it’s too fast
F.) Standard GH
- If seth is just throwing out arms you can just as easily his the recovery with a standard GH
The mid-range is the half-way point to the game plan. Seth is limited in his options at this point. His arms can be punished on ground and on jump back if he throws them out. Dash back can be reacted to and GH-ed over to.
Seth options are the following:
A.) Jump-back :hp:
this can be easily used to bait out lariat, then do a deep arms (since it hits overhead)
If Gief tries to GH over it will get beat out by the arms
- All depends on screen position, use your best judgement
So what do you do now?
Best-option: KKK Lariat or Block.
Most seth’s will get out of trouble immediately. Very few will risk the EX-GH bait.
If you get hit, you Repeat the Above steps.
This is you’re one and probably only opportunity to annihilate seth.
A.) Option-Select Pokes
- You need this knockdown, you will YEARN for this knockdown
- S. :lk: / S. :lp: / cr. :lk: O~S EX-GH
All other options at this point are irrelavent.
(Some of this stuff can be applied to our other arch-matchup, Guile)
Seth carries some quirky attributes to his hitboxes where certain combos can hit walking up, but jumping in deep do not.
Ex #1: cr. :lk: cr. :lk: s. :mp: s. :lp: xx EX-GH
If you do this combo walking up you have to delay the s. mp slightly (difficult to do if you can do the above combo 95% consistently)
(If you’re too quick or simply doing the combo on point you’ll get the close :mp: and the combo will be dropped.)
Ex #2: Cross-Up Splash > mixup
Seth is unique to that the cross up splash does a TON of push-back on hit when seth is crouched(which he usually will be). His EX-machine gun kick has auto-correct and invincibility properties which will make meaty splash completely punishable. (not to mention reseting you after)
Also his SRK is auto-correctable as well, but the timing is far more strict. Don’t expect to see it too often.
IF SPLASH HITS.
You have (2) hit-confirm combos you can do after you cross up splash him
A.) cr. :lk cr. lk: xx EX-GH
- best option after a landed cross-up splash for 263 total damage
B.) cr. :lp: s. :lk: s. :lk: xx EX-GH
- If you’re not too confident with your cr. :lk: then use this, but keep in mind it only does 243 damage (with splash like the above)
2.) Tick > SPD
I don’t recommend this as being a good option, the combos will land you a guaranteed knock-down
and perfect positioning to read his next move instead of going for big damage.
After (2) :lp: you’re out of :lp: SPD range. If you’re going to tick make sure it’s only one hit otherwise you will be out of range entirely (either cr. :lk or cr. :lp: will do)
3.) KKK Lariat
- Not enough room for a cr. :lk: > KKK Lariat
(Again not a recommended option, only if you don’t have meter should you use this)
IF THE CROSSUP SPLASH IS BLOCKED
1.) Tick > SPD
- If you have no meter (which you probably won’t from getting on him in the first place). Go for the damage, either you can risk a blockstring
(cr. :lp: cr. :lp: cr. :lp: s. :mp:)
which will push you away and give him a free escape. Worst case scenario is he jump back :fp: or neutral jump into combo. When you get in on seth, MAKE IT COUNT
2.) Read Them.
- Seth has a few options here: Neutral Jump, backdash, teleport, jump back fierce, Mash SRK
Best option for seth: teleport
Best Option for Gief if seth Teleports: Auto-correct Greenhand chase down. Otherwise you’re back at ground zero
Inevitably you’ll probably put Seth in the Corner
Big thing to remember here is that his wall jump carries him FULL SCREEN. He’ll be back in the middle of the stage in less than (2) seconds. Not to mention his toe taps shut down all of gief’s option on the ground. You cannot anti-air it.
There is one option. Headbutt.
GIEF. DO A HEADBUTT. IT’S SUPER EFFECTIVE!
Good seth players know this and will bait it out by jump back fierce. To counter act this, use jumping head-butt IMMEDIATELY after leaving the ground to try and tag his jump back fierce. If you see him wall bounce do it at the top arch of your jump. Most of the time a headbutt is a ONE HIT STUN. This is the game ender for seth.
One Level-3 Focus attack + a Heavy SPD = over 50% damage.
Something to remember here, Closing distance with seth in the corner is retarded. He can jump and be on the other side in an instant.
Stay in the near Max range of seth’s s. :hp:
This gives you enough range to close distance slightly and pressure him into doing a wall jump.
This simply takes practice and reaction. You need to have the headbutt Meet his FOOT. THE GIEF WALL OF JUSTICE. It will stun ON COUNTER HIT. Practice at what arch the wall dive kick comes out at and get used to stuffing it.
I’ll be updating this throughout the week.
Figured this will be a nice start