Light-up pushbutton mod?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering how people did the light-up button mods on their joysticks. I just bought a new HRAP2 and I’m planning on putting in Seimitsu ps-14-k’s in it to replace the horrible Hori buttons.

Thanks in advance =)

the ps2 connector cable has +5volts which you can tap to power some LEDs. You just need to wire up some LEDs (and resistors of course) to the 5volt line and they’ll light up whenever the controller is plugged in. You can hotglue the LEDs near the buttons and they will light up.

PS2 connector is between like 3.3v and 3.7v. Got I wishit was 5v, that’d save sooo much heartache.

If you want LED’s that light when the button/direction is pressed, you’ll need an inverter like a 74HC04 or a buffer. Connect the button line to the input of the inverter, and a LED and resister to ground to the output. When the button is pressed, it goes low, the output goes high and powers the LED. Just be careful not to suck too much juice for fear of busting a fuse.

D:, I’m getting 5 from mine. Either that, or I’m runnig my p360 off 3.3 volts. I’m pretty sure I checked it with a voltmeter. I’ll take your word for it, I should probably check again…

Thanks for the responses. I should’ve mentioned that I’ve never done anything like this before. Is this going to require some soldering? Also, could anyone post any pictures of the inside of a lighted stick? That’d really help.

Oh hell ya. And that’s the easy part. The hard part’s figuring out where to drill into the button in a way that will light it up but keep it usable.

It’s not an easy mod.

I was to just hot glue the LED to the side of the button or something. I don’t think I’ll do the whole “turn on when pressed” thing. Maybe later when I get bored with the joystick XD.

But yea, about soldering it, I don’t have the slightest clue where to do it, so pictures would be nice =D.

Thanks again.

Sorry for the double post, but could someone recommend some LEDs and resistors? I have absolutely no experience with these things.