List of the best fighting games for PS2

Note to mods: I should have seperated the fighting games from the other genres in my thread in GD, I will probably get better feedback asking about fighting games in this forum
These fighting games I consider the best on the PS2 right now or coming out**:

Bakumatsu Roman: Last Blade 2-in-1 (import)
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium 2001
Darkstalkers Collection (import)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (import)
Guilty Gear Slash (import)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (import)
Soul Calibur III
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (3rd Strike and AE)
Tekken 5 (Tekken 1, 2, 3 included)
Tekken Tag Tournament
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

These I’m not too sure about, so I need opinions about which ones to exclude from/to include to the above list:

King of Fighters 1994-1997 (import)
King of Fighters 1998-2000 (import)
King of Fighters 2000-2001
King of Fighters 2002-2003
King of Fighters 94 Rebout
King of Fighters Maximum Impact
King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2 (import)
King of Fighters Neowave (import)
King of Fighters XI (import)
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (import)
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuten (import)
Samurai Spirits Zero (import)
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos (import)
The Rumble Fish (import)

Please fell free to mention any other good fighting games that I didn’t mention. These will be going in my arcade cabinet, so I can enjoy all the best fighters over summer break.

sir, mvc2 is not good by any means at all on PS2.

my personal faves…

SFAE, SFAA (hopefully), GGXX#slash (hopefully), CvS2, LB1-2, KoF 2k2/2k3, NGBC, and Samurai Shodown Tenka (Zero is nice, but Zero special, IMO is better)

All right my favs-NGBC,SSTenka, SFAE,Rumblefish, KOF 2000,KOF NeoWave, I would say Last Blade 2 but surely NOT on Ps2…SNK dissapointed me with that release…esp when I have both the DC version and the Arcade version/Neo Geo of the game…its a shame…

Also SVC IMO also doesnt qualify as that good of a game…my Boy Geese is GODLY in that game…but other than that the game aint that great…maybe by SVC2 they will get it right.

You forgot Garou for PS2 also!!!

Another game I would not recommend-KOF 2001. Not good.the only things good about the game IMO are Kulas INFINITE COMBO and the Final Boss-IGNIZ!!!

Post this issue in this thread in GC.Net and some people there could give you some better feedback probably on the SNK games…(not that I couldnt I could go on for days!!)

XI is said to be the best KOF yet…I will wait to play it to determine that…but it looks damn good!!!

rearranged the list for you

Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium 2001
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (import)
Guilty Gear Slash (import)
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (3rd Strike and AE)
King of Fighters 1994-1997 (import)
King of Fighters 1998-2000 (import)
King of Fighters 2000-2001
King of Fighters 2002-2003
The Rumble Fish (import)
hokuto no ken(fist of the northstar) not ready for ps2 yet, but it will be

Imo, this is how I see it right now.

Top Tier
Guilty Gear Slash (import)/#R
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Tekken 5
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (depending on the port)
Hakuto No Ken (tbc)

High Tier
Soul Calibur III
Tekken Tag Tournament

Middle Tier
King of Fighters 2002-2003 (Neo-Geo/Dreamcast!)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
The Rumble Fish (import)

Mid-Low Tier
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast!)
Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millenium 2001 (Dreamcast!)
King of Fighters 2000-2001 (Neo-Geo/Dreamcast!)
Capcom Fighting Evolution

Bottom Tier
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos

3rd Strike

Everything else

cyberbots for the win

First list is good, add Tenka and KOFXI, get rid of CFJ. Actually get rid of Last Blade and SC3 while you’re at it. And yes MvC2 sucks on PS2.

CFE/CFJ is actually pretty good for a budget game, it should stay on the list.

Who thinks Last Blade 2-in 1 is good on PS2??? shakes head:confused:

If you do then you obviously HAVE NOT played the real versions…the PS2 version is horse crap!!!

SNKP really didnt try on this one. They highly dissapointed me with the fact that there is slowdown, the NEOGEO version looks hella better…and did I say THERE IS IN-GAME SLOWDOWN!!!

Not good for high level matches for someone like me that knows what they are doing in the game!!!:annoy:

Dark Geese-

good to hear about Last Blade 2-in-1 for JP PS2, i was just about to order it tomorrow. So, uh, I don’t (and never will) have access to Neo-Geo anything, so my only options are Dreamcast or PS2. I’m more interested in LB2. Is the DC version better? and if so, is the JP Final Edition better than the USA release?

The LB2 Ps2 version is way off from the AES/MVS version but it is still playable to some extent, Garou for PS2 is good as well besides the timings and certain things missing from it. AE is a good thing to have for casuals and practice, Rumble Fish is pretty good on PS2 also, I wish RF2 was released for PS2 :sad:. There are too many great fighters for the PS2 that have already been mentioned so I’ll just stop here. Take care.

how’s the DC version of LB2? i liked that since i got it…

why mvc2 sucks on ps2? I’m just starting to play this game

SFEX3 is alright if you have friends

You should’ve listed the ones that are out on console.

Got excited when you had King of Fighters XI labelled as “import”

I say even though cvs2 for ps2 isn’t as good as the dc one, it nullifies any will to have CFJ, same with NGBC, when you have it, though unperfect it makes you forget SvC (which you had forgotten long ago anyway).
SC3 is beyond bad in versus, only interesting if you have no friends and want to fight the barmaids (call them whatever you want), even SC2 which I hated was far better.
LB2 is playable to some extent… sure but it’s still horrible. Tenka on the other hand is most awesome.
The Darkstalkers is arcade perfect and is definitely a must-have (unless you hate darkstalkers of course)
As for the not yet released games, I say we wait.

If one frame of one attack that is never used and still will never be used is different from the arcade version people here will still say the game sucks regardless. It doesn’t even have to actually be missing. Someone with a join date of 2003 or earlier saying its different is enough.

KoF 2002+coaster bundle is good.

slowdown, weird lag on assists (only occurs randomly), sound is CRAP, load times, more expensive than a DC + the DC version combined…

yeah, PS2 version sucks balls

In no particular order:

EX3
3S
CvS2
TTT
T5