Looking at opponent's character on screen, not your own

I tried something new when fighting in StreetFighter. Instead of looking directly at my player (which ends up including the periphery- looking over to my opponent as part of that). I instead looked directly at the opponent (i could see my own character in my periphery). I felt as though I had a “wider” view and could anticipate my opponent’s moves more easily. I was more effective, but it was a little disorienting at first. I wonder if this is a reliable approach going forward. It makes sense because I know my characters every move- I can read him better even in my periphery (how quickly he moves, etc). Every opponent moves differently so perhaps by visual cortex is better spent analyzing and interpreting their moves. I’ve been playing SF a while now, but this was the first time I thought about where exactly I was looking when I played the game.

Any thoughts??!

I made that same transition.

I think its natural…at first you are focused on yourself, as you get better you start to focus on your opponent.

Eventually I started looking “wider” and seeing the whole screen at once, I’ve been in that mode ever since.

Yea once you know your character good enough to the point that you don’t need to “double check” the spacing and moves ect then you start looking at the other character more.

I honestly don’t remember if I look at my character more then my opponent’s character since I’m usually rushing them down so I kinda see both the chars at the same time :lol:

ive heard some really good players say that they focus more at their own character and mention something about peripheral vision.

Not a bad idea to try different things and see what works. peripheral vision is better for detecting motion quickly though.

So, after a player has figured out how his character’s moves work, should the player focus on his/her character or his/her opponents?

Just back up from the tv so you can see what you need to… Honestly if you can’t see you and your opponent simultaneously it isn’t good.
But I see what you mean, you are focusing on what you are doing. Try to focus on both you and your opponent. Action and reaction. Wax on and wax off.

I always thought you were suppose to focus on your opponent

good post, most players never use this trick ever.

peripheral vision is any humans fastest visual reaction cue. Its actually a trait that was formed over millions of years of evolution as its a defensive mechanism to identify predators.

SF players really go out of their way to make themselves better by any means.

if you have pretty decent reaction time, you can watch the opponent. If your opponent is trying an option tree that is rather fast to deal with, using your peripheral vision COULD be a better option since you will more than likely react faster. Using or not using peripheral vision will more than likely boil down to each player.

depending on how much of your peripheral you use can limit you. Like if you use the corner of your eye to ONLY spot movement, you will not see what is coming but you will know something is coming. Using half of it, you can Identify motion and have enough time to pan over with your eyes and identify what is being thrown out there.

Wow I just made a bigger discovery. I was looking around the screen and theres this bar on the bottom that glows and stuff. I was shocked when it filled I found out that my super was ready when the bar turned into the word “Super”. And on top of the screen theres also a health bar wow.

Normally this would work, but it doesn’t work in an arcade where you have a wide 32in LCD sitting two feet away from your face. I always found it much harder to keep up so my reaction suffers. A different approach like this doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

masters of yoga can sit ten feet away from the cabinet and still play comfortably :smile:

You have to be constantly checking both positions. It’s important to keep yourself spaced properly which requires focus on your character, as well as looking for patterns on their side, it’s a lot of info to take in. I rarely keep my eye entirely on the opponent for more than a second or two unless I’m looking for something very specific (a fireball to ultra through for example)

I try to make it where I can watch both evenly, the only time I deviate is when plasma spam comes I watch the opponent and wait for them to jump in or move up for AA purposes and stuff.

Nice point there but IDK if he is usually at an arcade. SF4 possessing Arcades are only really common in certain major midwest cities, socal, and NY.

I think changing your perspective of the screen is just kind of a natural evolution. If someone gets the point where they are going to be more familiar with spacing, they aren’t going to keep their focus right on their own character until someone instructs them to do otherwise.

I think I should point out that your perhiperal vision exists at the VERY edge of your field of view.

Unless the screen is the size of a movie theater screen with you in the front 10 rows…you can’t actually use your true perhiperal vision unless you turn your head about 85 degrees to either direction.

You can find out where your true perhiperal vision starts with this test:

1. Take a small nocecard and color it red. Make another one that is blue.

2. Have a friend randomly choose one card to hold at the edge of your vision.

3. Have them move it from OUTSIDE your view, into your field of view, slowly.

4. Note the point where you can identify the COLOR of the card… that is where your perhiperal vision actually starts.

True perhiperal vision senses motion only, not color…so that is how you can test where your actual perhiperal vision starts…its at the very edge of your field of view, nowhere near the edges of any normal sized screen you might play on.