Looking to get better at Chess

any S tier chess players that can give some good food for thought on a young n up comming chess player. I really enjoy the game, though i find my skills to be very Hibiki style if you know what i mean.

I like playing, but i just lose a lot. (
should i just keep playing more n more.

or

should i approach each move in stall until ive calculated every possible outcome?

should i look 3 moves ahead, or only 1 move ahead.

im not really asking a very specific question, or looking for 1 answer. any ideas or info that one could share would be greatly appreciated.

how do great chess players think,

oh n any all SF analagies or references are highly encouraged

6 moves ahead not 3 or 1.

That’s basically all there is to chess imo, specifically the moves you make at the beginning of the game determine the outcome…

My suggestion is chess puzzles… try those every day…

Look up ways to begin a game… etc.

I think this is the book I read to start me off…

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess

Mainly because he’s not teaching chess, he’s teaching you how to think…

Good book, seriously…

EDIT: Endgames are my weakness, I have a tendency to get someone backed into a corner, only to do some reckless shit to lose the game…

• I could swear that there’s a chess thread somewhere. :smiley:

indeed, boils down to risk and reward. Strategize, and predict your opponent’s movements. Sun Tzu shit right there.

do this: [media=youtube]sKTAYd-fQOA[/media] it’s baller

that was really good! subscribing to this

this will, help, thnx, n thnx everyone for contributing,

Go to a book store and look for a good book about chess. It should help a lot. I bought one a long time ago, and the book had tons of great info in it and even had chess exercises (i.e. they give you a mid-game chess board and tell you to do checkmate in X amount of moves, force certain plays, etc.).

Ok here’s a simple roadmap, roughly in the order of how you should learn these concepts:

tactics - learn these tools of the trade: pin, fork, double attack, skewer, discovered attack, discovered check, and double check

endgame - learn how to checkmate in the endgame with a queen and king vs king, rook and king vs king, double bishop king vs king, bishop knight king vs king

opening - learn and stick with one opening as white, and two openings with black (since white will most likely either open up with e4 or d4, so you’ll need a response for both)

endgame - learn how to win with pawn and king vs king, and rook, pawn, king vs king

midgame - learn how to identify strengths and weaknesses in a position and come up with a plan. i recommend Jeremy Silman’s How to Reassess your chess.

so learning these things should give you a pretty solid foundation to build upon

Here’s the book I bought. At $9.99, it’s a pretty good price for all the information you’ll get out of it.

Amazon.com: Chess: Tactics and Strategies (9780785815167): Graham Burgess: Books

you really shouldn’t be looking too far ahead in the beginning and in some situations. there are common patterns/plays for the beginning. and even in other midgame/endgame situations. just make sure you’re able to assess those situations. other than that, yes try and see as many moves as you can and do what you see is the best possible move you can make. don’t just consider your options of course but consider what your opponent will consider and that they’re thinking of counters too. don’t just make a move that handles one situation. think of as many possible plans your opponent can/will do and try to make your move flexible and able to handle as many of those reasonable plays as possible. this happens a lot more near end-game.

if you have not already, get a chess clock. not sure if you only play online tho. and yeah, chess puzzles are great too. when I used to be hella into this shit I would carry a chess book and portable electronic chess machine (with more than just puzzles) all around with me. test shit out.

I forgot the old ass book I had with browning pages, but it went in depth into many plays and their origins/variations. find something like that. there are a lot of common patterns/plays in the game. you don’t want to always think of moving a single piece independently, you wanna re-enact a common pattern layer in your favor (if that makes sense). this will speed things up quickly especially if you go to (timed) tournaments. there’s still a lot of brain power involved, but the more patterns/situations you can recognize the better.

I don’t have time for a long post, but if you have the dough, throw down for the Nimsovitsch My System book, as it’s the definitive “learn to play chess at a high level” book. Basically play a lot, think as far ahead as is plausible for you, and put yourself in your opponent’s shoes. Once I have funds/time I’m going to push my rating as far as I possibly can and devote a shitload of time to chess. One of my professors who is friends with Boris Gulko estimated my current ability at around 1800 (B level), so I think pushing to A, or even Expert isn’t too out of reach if I really start studying. Thanks for the thread, I love talking about chess and will post cool links/games later.

I should bust out the chess board from down stairs. Subscribed.